Roon - renew or cancel?

Do I take it then, that you do not have an extensive local collection of CD/Downloads?

Who?

Work it out!

Into my fourth year in Feb and happy to keep subscribing as it provides me with things other software just does not deliver on. I use it all the time when I am at home which now is more than ever. As I have multiple systems in different rooms, and some dedicated headphone zones uoto 9 zones including kids rooms now. its just so easy to control them all from one app and all my music is one place that I own and stream. The family can easily use it on any phone tablet or pc so it’s not just the old farts tool. To me and my family it’s indespensible and worth every penny.

3 Likes

:rofl:

Your earlier reply was off-screen so Iwasn’t sure!

They will withdraw lifetime eventually . They have said it’s not a model that works for them anymore hence the price hike. It makes sense to continually grow a product rather than stagnate and subs is the way to achieve this. Others don’t charge as much for their product but they also don’t add as many new features, have as many features to start with and also are fully cross platform, and offer their own OS for nothing and add as many zones as you like and build your own for peanuts with their again free bridge software .

3 Likes

I have about 400GB of ripped CDs and purchased hi-res FLAC files. About 10k tracks.

Tidal already integrates into my NAS stored music. Why do I need Roon?

1 Like

But I find new music that is revelatory just by my own searches via the Naim app.

And I dont need another computer whirring along all day to do that.

You would probably have found those LPs without Roon, and Roon radio May in fact have blocked you as much as it enabled and directed your listening.

1 Like

Well, not really: I wouldn’t have found the time. And I like the way it reminds me of what I’ve already got, too…

Not a big local collection, but big enough to consider a Roon lifetime membership nevertheless, I think.

That is most certainly not my experience with Roon Radio. It has been revelatory for me.

2 Likes

I tried Roon and just couldn’t see the benefit of it at all. I use local streaming and Tidal and just found it irritating with its suggestions and whatever. I genuinely couldn’t see value in it even if it was a free service. For over £100 a year I was utterly stumped. To me it was the Emperor’s new clothes…

7 Likes

I have no desire to spend $700 on a Roon lifetime membership. The annual subscription suits me just fine.

It’s certainly not for everyone - I control a lot of music playback from a Mac Mini so desktop apps like Audirvana/Roon can add to the experience for me.

Been a lifetime member for several years. UI is great, integration with Roon and Qobuz is seamless, and Roon Radio has introduced to to a staggering amount of new (to me) music. I find it well worth the money.

I do still use JRiver for ripping CDs - I like the control provided there.

My one complaint is that Dirac doesn’t work well with Roon. I don’t like having to install a virtual cable on the endpoint to make Dirac work.

Not a problem I understand (but I’ve “only” got about 1200 albums - I know some people have far more).

Ditto - but I think it is horses for courses. Very clearly to some people Roon brings something they like or want, whether that be the UI, online streaming integration, unique approach to metadata, suggestions, or Roon Radio, whereas to others those things are detractions or irritants, not being the way they want to interface with the music.

1 Like

Totally agree. This cannot be compared to a piece of equipment that you buy, as they have to keep on improving the product. I understand that the lifetime was originally to get some quick needed development money in the till. Now that they (presumably) have a decent installed base, the lifetime members have become ‘free riders’ - not disrespect intended, I’m a lifetime member myself having bought (not subscribed to) Roon 2 weeks after it was launched.

I am sure they were tempted in cancelling the lifetime all together, but balked at the potential discontent and merely increased the price this round.

1 Like

Roon stated specifically on their own community forum that the lifetime membership will be eliminated sooner or later, for the reasons you mentioned.

Of course I don’t want to pry, but you only need to live a further 6 years to get ahead on this one, as things stand.
Of course, you may be betting on a cheaper ‘Roon Killer’ within that timeframe.
I don’t think that’s likely, but hey…!