Roon with original NDX

Hi M,

I am also having the same problem with NDS and Mac. I don’t know any Linux /IT knowledge.

Can you share if you eventually got it working?

Saw the term RooUpnP and Rpi, may I ask what are those and if I need them ?

Appreciate any help , thank you.

Regards
Ken

Rpi = raspberry pi
Rooupnp = extension to roon someone has created to simplify the set up of lms 2 upnp (in other words, leveraging Logitech media server software)

What hardware do you have, do you use roon, what solutions have you tried already?

Hi Robert,

I am using Core / QNAP NAS / NDS. I use MAC.
I tried download the LMS-Upnp Bridge to my MacBook.
Following the instruction from the thread, when I attempt to create the config.xml I have the same error message as Meacupla ‘!!!Error loading config file !!!’

From what I’ve seen, it says “error loading config file” regardless. Did it actually make a config file for you?

Eg instructions provided by Ayon

1 Like

Yes it did. I then change the parameters as suggested, I still can’t locate my NDS.

Did you enable squeezebox support in roon?
Double check the instructions listed here

I know it can be frustrating … I started with trying the LMS2upnp but got nowhere. I then tried Rpi with some success. After a while I returned to the LMS software and got it to work with the help of this forum.
I can only suggest perseverance …
I run the software on my MacMini, the Roon core is on an Audiostore music server. I manage multi room (NDS and Unitiqutes) through the Naim app with Roon supplying the interface.

Thanks Robert.

Thanks to your “anon” notes, I finally can make it work.
now the NDS saying “Streaming from MLS”
Will they convert to WAV or in FLAC?

Check in the extension options in roon, i think you can switch between pcm and flac.

Just uncheck the FLAC compression, ow is converted into PCM, neat.

Does anyone know how to move the command to my QNAP NAS as RoonCore so I don’t have to use my MAC?

Appreciated.

You can run the UPNPBridge as a plugin to Logitech Media Server (LMS)

LMS can be run within a container on a QNAP. It’s what I have used for 2 years and it generally works very well.

Another new way is the rooUPnP which has just emerged, there are details on the Roon forum. This requires a Raspberry Pi and the payment of a small licence fee. Installation is a doddle, just download the image and create an SD card, pop it into the Pi and start it up. Then just setup your maximum resolution for each discovered device within the Extensions area in Roon.

I’ve switched to rooUPnP and am finding it to be excellent. The developer is very responsive too.

so I need to purchase a Rpi card/box in using the RoonUnp.
Is there any advantage over the all software approach?

Can you share how to create a container in QNAP to install the upnp scrip that will be much appreciated. I am using a TS-251A with 4.5.2 firmware.

The all software approach is more complex to implement but saves as you don’t have to buy more hardware. The Pi solution is really straightforward hence my recommendation as an alternative approach.

For installing in a container.

If you Google " Installing Logitech Media Server (SlimServer / Squeezebox Server) On QNAP" you will find a step by step guide to installing LMS on a QNAP. This gets LMS running in a container.
Then you need to configure:

• Once installed click on the link within Container Station to open LMS
  • Skip the account setup stage and the music library setup (not required to use the plugin).
  • Click on settings, and then Plugins.
  • Untick all plugins and tick UPNP/DNLA Bridge. This ensures you only run what is necessary
  • Allow LMS to restart
  • Click Settings, for the UPNP/DNLA Bridge
  • In the Extra Command Line Options enter -s ip_address_of_roonserver - This tells LMS where Roon is located
    image (make sure you change the IP address to your Roon Server’s address)
  • Select the Static Library and click on the checkbox to start
  • Once started, click on the Generate button on the Configuration File line to create a config file
  • Next you need to edit the config file. To do this you will need to download WinSCP which will allow you to reach area’s on the QNAP that the FileStation app won’t allow.
  • Download WinSCP and install it
    You need to enable SSH access on your QNAP from the control panel

• Use WinSCP to connect to the QNAP (use your admin login, same as you use to administer the QNAP in a browser).
  • Locate the Config file by browsing in WinSCP. The path is shown in the LMS configuration page

• When you have found the file in WInSCP right click the file and choose Edit
  • Find the line
    <roon_mode>0</roon_mode>
    and change to
    <roon_mode>1</roon_mode>
    Do the same for the <sample_rate>192000</sample_rate> line
  • Save and return to the LMS Config page. Click on the Restart button to restart the bridge

Hi Trickydickie,

I am at the point where to add the extra command line of where the Roonserver is.
Do I need to download the Roonserver for my case? or is it the IP for my streamer (NDS)?

You can’t run Roon without a Roon server or Core as it is known.

The IP referred to is the Roon Core’s IP address so once you have that you should enter it in as shown.

If I am running Mac OSX, is there other similar app to WinSCP?

If I am using NDS, and planning to use QNAP to store the Upnp bridge file and use my phone/ipad as Roon interface, what is the Roon server/Core I am suppose to use as? (I don’t need a music server as I already have Core)

https://filehippo.com/mac/download_cyberduck_for_mac/

Are you using roon software already?

The Roon core is the heart of Roon. You need a Roon Core to run Roon.

If you are familiar with running a UPNP server the concept is very similar, i.e. you have a server, player and something to control it.

It appears I am not alone in how complex this can be, and the tech knowledge required, particularly without a hardware solution.

As part of this I am now confused how something like a Raspberry Pi fits in physically with a system?

I currently have Asset running as my server on my iMac which h is on the same network as my NDX & WD MyCloud Drive. WD does have its own server software and is in effect a NAS, but it is not good with WAV files & hence why I run Asset.

NDX then feeds 202 into 200 and speakers.

So how can use the Raspberry Pi? I did see some suggest to run UpNp bridge software on it, but I was still not sure how this would have fitted in a linear or networked way into the system.

I know that Roon will not run on ARM (Pi) so that would still need either a hardware or Core on my iMac.

So could the Pi hold the server for example, Asset & the bridge software…without physical connection to to NDX? I think this is what some posters had suggested.

Some posters then spoke about HiFiBerry…which also left me questions? Could you run a HiFiBerry with as NAS?..Then if you added a DAC could you then output directly to 202 or do you use the NDX as a pass through (without DAC), but this would not make sense to me…

Ultimately could a Pi or HiFiBerry handle the NAS, Streamer & DAC functions…i.e replace the NDX…( I don’t want to open a can of worms with the purists on power supply’s & SQ at this stage!)

I suppose what I looking for are simple line suggestions of what inputs into what & how, either physically or via the network.