Roon with original NDX

Seriously though, the best option for most, if you are truly committed to Roon and keeping an older Naim streamer esp considering what a Naim streamer cost originally, or even used, is the SonicOrbiter Bridge (about $250 I think) or a used Sonore microRendu (or the new 1.5 model for $399). The cost of a few dinners out (of which one has probably saved over this last year). But the Pi/RooUPNP solution looks to be a good one, but if one wants a more plug and play solution, the two above are the best.

As you are getting a Pi I would suggest that you take the easy way and try the new rooUPNP Roon extension that runs on a Pi.

All you have to do is download it, use a program to create your SD card, stick it in the Pi and switch it on. Then you go into the Extensions area in Roon and configure your Naim devices to the correct resolution, i.e.

Max Sample Rate: 192000
UPNP Audio Format: FLAC Upto 24 Bit

Then you will be good to go.

You can find it on the Roon forma and whilst the product is in test thereā€™s a free code that will let you evaluate it. There are currently some bugs but it will get you going.

No I havenā€™t done any comparisons. I actually have avoided just using it as a DAC, preferring to use it as intended, i.e. a UPNP streamer.

No problem. From what I gather, the big improvements in the new streamers have come about by improvements in the streaming module. You never know, by bypassing the streamer in the NDS entirely (using a quality external streamer), you could be bringing it closer to ND555 territory :wink:

That is possible, the ND555 is better optimised power wise than the NDS as they removed some compromises that having the capability of being powered by an XPS brought but the 2 devices are quite similar after the streaming board. Same DAC, brass mounting plate on leaf springs, dual 555 power etc. In fact the internal pictures are quite similar if you compare!

I think the streaming section is better in the NDS than the other legacy streamers. One thing I noticed between my NDX and NDS was that Tidal was pretty poor on the NDX but very usable on the NDS and much closer to local streaming. I wonder if putting the streaming board electronics in a cage is the reason for this?

1 Like

Thanks so much for this, Iā€™ve long struggled with understanding the relationship!
Chris

1 Like

I noticed after I posted the the connectors I used have arrows which point in specific directions. If course communication is both ways so please disregard the arrows!

Hi tricky,
is the If I want to use QNAP to host the script and send instruction to my NDS to play music, does it mean my QNAP is the Room Core? so I need to input the IP in the Extra command line above?

Ken

If using Logitech Media server to host the UPNPBridge plugin then LMS needs to have a different IP address to the Roon Core. I.e. Roon Core needs to appear to be on a different device.

If your Roon Core is on the QNAP then when setting up your container ensure to choose ā€˜bridge modeā€™ which will ensure that the LMS container receives a different IP address to the main QNAP device.

I tried all the steps above, change the Host to Bridge and as my QNAP has a 2nd LAN adapter, I use that and put a static IP A, while my QNAP IP is B.

In the LMS setting ā†’ Plugin, my extra command line is -s IP B. (Is that correct?)

I did the config edit and restart the LMS, but my iPhone Roon cannot search for any Roon Core.
Wondering what did I screw up?

also in the LMS server / player page, on the top right hand corner, it says my player cannot be found, is there something wrong?

I had the same thoughts, but he has made it as simple as possible I suppose and itā€™s all configured from Roons UI. But considering other extension Devs donā€™t charge and do much more itā€™s a bit rich.

1 Like

Agree with @CrystalGipsy re the charging for other peoples work in the main.

However when you look at this whole thread Iā€™m sure it is worth it for many users and wouldnā€™t be surprised if @trickydickie offered to pay for some :bangbang::bangbang: :joy::joy::joy::joy:

It is a very slick solution and once it is working properly re Roon radio and sample rate changes I think it will be great alternative. Everyone has struggled a bit with LMS2UPNP and only thanks to the efforts of a quite a few people here has it been successfully implemented

Certainly cheaper than a 372 or whatever.:bangbang:

CK

Since my post Iā€™ve corresponded a few times with the developer of rooUPnP and it does seem like the approach he is using has some benefits as it will some changes to the core package and a better end to end solution.

By having the extension exposed in Roon there is access to the bit rate and metadata etc. which over time will allow some changes to be made so the plugin isnā€™t ā€˜running blindā€™. This should hopefully allow some of the limitations that we currently see to be overcome.

Heā€™s now more ā€˜Naim awareā€™ than before which is a good thing!

2 Likes

I did give a quick try and it did seem to work ok. However, thereā€™s doesnā€™t appear to be much information about whatā€™s actually installed on the device and thereā€™s a lack of login (presumably to stop people misconfiguring) capability to actually see whatā€™s running. This does leave me feeling a little uncomfortable from a security perspective but Iā€™m sure itā€™s not the only DIY audio style solution doing something similar. Thereā€™s something to be said for open source systems and code thatā€™s available for review.

My journey to use my NDX with roon:
I started using lms-to-upnp installed on my windows computer. It worked for playing albums. But it doesnā€™t work for playlists, roonradio and shuffle play. Music just stops after some tracks.

I tried to use a DIGIONE SIGNATURE PLAYER with the shanti lps into my NDX. I worked, but I didnā€™t like the sound, And this solution is quite expensive.

I then bought a SONORE UPNP BRIDGE. It is a raspberrypi with a wrapped lms-to-upnp. But with this gadget, everything is working very well.

In the last days, I tried to use the new rooUPNP software. It is better than lms-to-upnp installed on my windows computer, but it is not perfect. It sometimes stops playing music if I use playlists, roonRadio or shuffle play.

So I will stay with my sonore upnp bridge.

1 Like

Just an update from me as OP.

I have got Roon running on my iMac (bought a 1 month subscription) to work with my NDX via rooUPNP on a Rpi 4.

Thank you to Trickydickie particularly for the schematic which really helped. The rooUPnp has good intructions and how to videoā€™s which are simple to follow.

As I wanted to use my RPi 4 for other projects, I going to be brave, deregister rooUPnP and try to set up on an old RPi B+.

1 Like

Yes, having reviewed the posts re. rooUPnP, I will also stay with my SonoreUPnP Bridge, as my main Roon to NDS playback route.

I have the LMS2UPNP software running on a RPi2, alongside Asset R7 UPnP server, as backup if needed.
As such, I donā€™t need to introduce an additional RPi unit into the mix, to run the LMS2UPNP software.
However, seems like a reasonable implementation, if you donā€™t want to deal with a direct Linux deployment or take the dedicated SonoreUPnP Bridge solution.

Hi guys (@trickydickie): I have looked at the RooUPnPā€™s developerā€™s videos, read the posts here and on the Roon forum, and am wondering if the RPi solution is better than running LMS2UPnP on my Mac.
At the moment I run it on a MacMini, and I update the software when new versions are released. The only frustration with this approach is that every time the MacMini reboots I have to rerun LMS2UPnP. Would using a RPi with RooUPnP overcome this minor irritant?

Add a @reboot command to your crontab file

e.g.

1 Like