Roon with original NDX

I am finding it pretty good, trying it more out of curiosity really.

Currently there is a problem advancing to the next track when the resolution changes. If you are playing full albums this isn’t an issue but Roon radio is as you will then have effectively a mixed resolution playlist.

The developer is responsive and has acknowledged the issue and believes he knows how to fix it, there are also some potential other interesting enhancements planned that could see metadata being sent through.

The nice thing is that you can leave it running all the time and it’s super easy to get going.

1 Like

That looks a bit advanced for me, but thanks for the hint. More research required on my behalf.

That’s exactly what piqued my interest - thanks for the confirmation

When you try it I expect you will find that you get the static noise issue.

Change Roon to use FLAC compression and make sure you select PCM 24 Bit in the extension. This will send FLAC to the rooUPNP software which will then transcode to PCM to the streamer.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up on this :fist_left:

I’ve now managed to get 24/96 on my Cambridge CXN V1 which has always been limited to 16/44.1 Airplay.

And 24/192

1 Like

Yesterday I installed rooUPnP on a Pi 4 and got the environment up and running. I have 3 Naim devices that are not Roon compatable and two that are…

Originally I havd the Pi running with a digitial board and then feedin into the digitial input of one of the Naim devices - but clearly this is pi/device solution - the same pi with rooUPnP allow me to access all the Naim devices with a single Pi… I also note that the Pi seens to running cooler vs the with the digital board solution…

However I note that there are some limitation - on the non-Roon devices, the display only shows that its receving a stream and either the elasped time to stream info - but cant seem to show infor on the track name, album name, artist name…

Does the using the SonoreUPnP Bridge solution, allow track, album, artist info to be visible on non-Roon Naim devices?

If not - is there a solution that does pass on this info?

I note that the Audirvana product is able to pass this infor from Tidal/Qubuz - but then this is not Roon…in my simple mind, it would be great if there was a product that combined the functions of Roon and Audirvana… wishfull thought???

None of the Roon bridges send through metadata through. This is a limitation as Roon just sends a continuous stream to the bridge with no headers and metadata.

Apparently there is potential to fix this with the extension being present from within Roon as this information then becomes available to the extension and hence the bridge. I understand that the author of rooUPNP is looking to harvest that data to improve reliability of playback when there is a resolution change and also potentially send metadata through to the device.

Hi , I have a NDS and running LMS-Upnp on my Mac (act as Roon Core). I am facing the problem with TIDAL that if I want to stream WAV/PCM to my NDS i/o FLAC , I switch off the FLAC compression (see photo). But sometimes there is a loud hissing/digital breakup noise that I must stop and resume the compression. It seems it is more frequent if the file has MQA compression.

Does anyone face the same issue and what will be the solution for it? Your advise is much appreciated.

PS. I can definitely hear the advantage of PCM streaming vs FLAC in my system (252/300) so hopefully I can continue to stream PCM to my NDS. Any one?

Thanks.

I have 2 “UPnP Bridge” solutions available to my NDS, both stream PCM or WAV to the Naim Network player without issue.

First is the SonoreUPnP Bridge running on a UltraRendu with UltraCap LPS 1 PSU. This streams WAV for any & all PCM file formats (FLAC, ALAC, ACC, MP3) and then DSD for dsf/dff files. This includes the 1st unfold of all MQA files, presenting up to 24/96, DXD files, DSD128 & DSD256.

Second is the LMS2UPNP Bridge running on a RPi2 running DietPi, which is also used to run Asset UPnP server. This bridge outputs a PCM stream to the NDS, with FLAC compression unset for all formats.

The devices for the Bridges are local to the “front-end” sub-net running on the ‘A’ ports of an EtherREGEN. The NDS is in the ‘B’ port.
The Roon Core running on a ROCK based server, using a NUC5i3, is away upstairs on the Home Office, with the NAS units, ISP Modem, Firewall/VPN Router, WiFi AP and various network switches - the networking “back-end”.
To get the PCM/WAV/DSD streaming on all formats did take a while, with devices being swapped out, and network optimisation.

So do bear with the problem, and eliminate each component and connection.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.