Roonifying my systems

Ok I’ll check it against my build, what happens when you enter…

./squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static -i config.xml

Or run the non-static version in a full command with directories.

Just make it executable first
sudo chmod 755 /root/UPnPBridge/squeeze2upnp-armv6hf

Then run

/root/UPnPBridge/Bin/squeeze2upnp-armv6hf -i /root/UPnPBridge/Bin/config.xml

This should generate the config.xml file
Then make the changed using nano (Roon & freq)

Then
/root/UPnPBridge/Bin/squeeze2upnp-armv6hf -Z -x /root/UPnPBridge/Bin/config.xml

Please excuse typing …
Just back from walking dog and a spot of gardening - too much oxygen on the brain!

First one is spelt wrong
Second attempt, file is not executable
Slow down, and think about what you are doing (meant in a helpful way)…

1 Like

Good point @dknk - thanks.
Rebooted and started again, trying @simon.pepper suggestions with the non static file and my directories. But still getting config error: “error loading config file”.

stopping for lunch!

Ok
Can you ‘cd …’, then ‘ls -al’ and check that the Bin directory has Read/Write permissions

Then cd Bin, and then ls -al to check whether the squeeze2upnp-armv6hf and squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static files are executable

then run

squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static -i config.xml
Or
squeeze2upnp-armv6hf -i config.xml in the Bin directory

From your screenshot the permissions on the squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static file look OK to me. However, I would of expected all these files to be owned by “pi”, not sure why all these files are owned by root. This could potentially be part of the problem.

Did you login as “pi” when you did the install? Still be interesting to see what the permissions are on the directory Bin as suggested by Simon

Morning all - spent the morning trying to get my head around permissions. I understand the principles, but I was expecting to be just a few, however there is more to than I thought.
Here are two photos; the first shows Bin permissions, and the second shows the parent permissions. Could it be that the name should be changed from ‘root’ to ‘pi’?

Purely from a permissions basis I can’t see anything that jumps out, however, root ownership may well have something to do with this issue. You can change ownership of directories and files via the “chown” command although I’ve no great experience of it, however, you could try the following…

go into the directory above UPnPBridge (i.e. the one of your second screenshot) and enter…

sudo chown pi UPnPBridge

then…

sudo chown :pi UPnPBridge

After you have done this ownership should have changed…if it has check in the Bin directory and see if that ownership has changed also. If not go into the UPnPBridge directory and repeat the above commands but replace “UPnPBridge” with “Bin”

If all the ownership then says pi you can try the bridge software again.

Success at last - the trick was to rename the folders as ‘Root’.
I’ve now moved the RPi into my study, used ssh on Macmini to run the command again, and now all the ‘Qutes show up on Roon. Fantastic - thanks again for all your patience and help to this novice.

I’ll tackle how to deal with the terminal window later. Everything stopped when I exited it, so need to figure out how to prevent that, and why when scanning my network I have two IP addresses for RPi. But now I need a drink. Thanks again all, particularly @simon.pepper and @Jack, but you all gave me encouragement.
Steve

2 Likes

Glad it’s all up and running, you deserve that drink!

1 Like

Good to hear you have a result.

Re the session, you need to run the Bridge either as a service or establish it from crontab on reboot, which means the application is not tied to that session and is running in the background.

I forget that some of this Unix stuff, I did over 30 years on an Sys Admin course as a Graduate Engineer with ICL.

Enjoy your new Endpoints.

Simon

1 Like

Don’t know is this thread is still active, it seems the correct one to ask my question…

I have a 272/555/250.2 into ProAc D20R speakers. I’ve a recent addition (well, most of my present set up is quite recent) which is an Audiostore Prestige 3. I am using Roon. I tried the USB/SPDIF route directly from the Prestige but think I prefer the SQ from the traditional Ethernet network path; the Prestige 3 caters for that as it has the Sonore Bridge built in, which I am now using.

So my question is about settings.

On the Sonore Bridge I have

• Output Format set to WAV (although all my music is stored as FLAC)
  • Max Sample Rate is set to None

In Roon my present setting are:

My question is if these are the correct settings. Appreciate any advice, thanks

Hi

I don’t use flac compression setting on 272 otherwise same as your settings.

CK

As @Ceexkay says don’t use FLAC compression s otherwise you will send FLAC and not PCM to the streamer. It’s the equivalent of transcoding from FLAC to WAV.

There’s a couple of settings I have different. I have:

MQA Capabilities: No MQA Support
Enable MQA Core Decoder: No

I can still play MQA with the first unfold done by Roon so I’m surmising I have these set correctly!

1 Like

I have Flac Compression set to off - I then find the Naim Network Players receives WAV from the SonoreUPnP bridge for FLAC, unfolded MQA, ALAC, ACC, MP3 (i.e. all PCM).

Then with DSD handling set at DoP, the Naim Networ Player extracts the DSD from the PCM container, and processes it itself. You can also see if Roon’s DSD-PCM conversion is better than Naim’s on-board solution.

1 Like

Thanks Simon, will try that. I presume the DSD setting only applies if you have DSD format music, and does nothing else otherwise?

Yes, files with the dsf or dff extension

My dog nearly jumped out of his fur when I first set up the Sonore bridge and it played at full volume. I’ve noticed that changing the Roon Volume Control from “Device” to “Fixed” causes it to revert to max, whereas if you change from “Fixed” to “Device” it doesn’t.

From my limited experience of Roon/Sonore Bridge it just seems to happen when settings are changed (and then not always). Is it just a case of checking the volume before playing, or is there a fix?

Don’t know - as I only use my Roon endpoints with fixed volume, and use the amp or device’s hardware volume control.
So when ever it does change, I set it from Fixed to Device with a volume setting, take it up to max, then move back to the Fixed settings.
As my Roon endpoints are all sources with external amplification, I want the max input signal as Line input (as if it was a CD player).