Roonifying my systems

I’ve had no luck with LMS on my RPi 4… but will keep trying. Any hints would be helpful …
In the meantime I’ve got HiFiberry up and running today.

See if any of this helps…

Login into RPi (assumes a base build of RPi with “2019-09-26-raspbian-buster”)

sudo mkdir UPnPBridge

cd UPnPBridge/

sudo wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms-plugins-philippe44/files/UPnPBridge-1.25.1.zip

Check the hash of the downloaded file…

openssl dgst -sha1 UPnPBridge-1.25.1.zip

should be (4230a24df62447a59c56236727b90fed680a7fde)

sudo unzip UPnPBridge-1.25.1.zip
sudo rm UPnPBridge-1.25.1.zip

cd /home/pi/UPnPBridge/Bin
sudo chmod 755 squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static

I’m assuming this is the correct executable for the RPi4 processor

Launch the executable to create the initial config file…

./squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static -i config.xml

Wait til it exits (maybe 30 seconds or so)

Launch it again without the “config.xml” parameter…

./squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static

This should start the executable and you should now be able to configure Roon and get your devices working appropriately

If necessary edit the config.xml file (might be useful to see Weta’s post in Feb 19 on the subject also)

e.g… sudo nano config.xml

1 Like

On first listen I can’t hear a difference between Roon via RPi/HiFiberry and the Naim app. All this on a ‘Qute been fed with a toslink cable from RPi. So I’m very happy. Now to follow @Jack instructions above with another RPi for the ‘Qute in the study.

2 Likes

They are great little devices, and shows you don’t have to spend a lot to get a decent streamer. I use two exclusively for headphones listening with USB Dacs and they sound great and two more run dedicated home made wireless speakers. Used to use one in main rig unitl I got the Atom.

2 Likes

Ok, based on those instructions and the changes to config.xml settings, I have a backup playback route to the SonoreUPnP, running on the RPi2 I use for Asset (running DietPi) and offering excellent same level of functionality.

Just note for the RPi platform you need to use the squeeze2upnp-armv6hf version.
Config.xml changes are

<roon_mode>1</roon_mode>
<sample_rate>192000</sample_rate>

If you set ‘FLAC Compression’ in Roon to off it will send WAV to the Naim player for all PCM formats, and then with 'DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP), DSD is sent, as is.
And with ‘No MQA Support’ and the MQA Core Decoder enabled, the Roon Core will unfold MQA to a max rate of 24/96

In the Naim App you get ‘Streaming from LMS’ as source - the SonoreUPnP, has ‘Streamingxxx’ where xxx is the number of tracks bridged over.

So good job, and a useful excercise on a ‘locked down’ Sunday afternoon in Dublin.

1 Like

Simon…thanks for the update on the processor type, should have realized it was ARM! I’ll update my post in case anyone comes back later to use it.

Hope the lock down in Dublin isn’t affecting you too much

Also rather than use the .service script, I just updated my crontab to include a further @reboot command

The -x ensures it uses the correct configuration.xml with changes detailed above

Lockdown is necessary, having the pubs, clubs, restaurants still open didn’t make sense to the public or the workers. Dublin without open pubs, now who would of imagined that? Just shows how serious things are.

At long last I’ve got another Rpi and managed to load and execute the lms2upnp file.
Roon sees my UPnP players but when selected nothing is played despite Roon says it is. I’ve looked at the input settings but nothing seems to get the music playing.
Do you or @simon.pepper, or anyone(e.g. @trickydickie ) else have any suggestions please?
Best
Steve

Check the Config.xml file - it needs to have the Roon mode set to 1
<roon_mode>1</roon_mode>

Also make sure that the sample rate is set to 192k, as the default is 4k
<sample_rate>192000</sample_rate>
[/quote]

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.
Excuse my ignorance but what’s the best way to edit my config file on a RPi?
Ah I see there is tool called Nano - the learning begins!

Yup, within the directory “sudo nano confit.xml”
make the edits
Carl-X and save the changes

1 Like

Thanks for that guide.
But I’m stuck …
First in the terminal, I can’t get nano to run
Second, I have noticed that once I’ve run the script in terminal, and return some time later the instructions need to be entered again. I’m not sure if I need to close terminal or save the instructions?
Third, I’m wondering if nano has not been installed?

All this was late last night - will try afresh this morning after walking the dog.

Nano will be installed by default with the base build of Raspbian Buster.

When you say you can’t get it to run…what response do you get to “sudo nano config.xml”

You only need to enter…"./squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static" once and you can close the window afterwards. If you reboot the RPi you will have to enter “./squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static” again unless you set something up to autostart after boot. You could create a service or as Simon has done add an entry to crontab

1 Like

Thanks Jack - day off yesterday. So will tackle it today.

Right I have an ‘error loading config file’. I think that this is because it has not been created, certainly I can’t see it in the file manager.

Scratching my head here as Rpi site not much use. I’m sure I’ve made an elementary mistake, probably running before I can walk with these little beasts.

Stick with it - the performance I get from my RPi2 on DietPi & LPS PSU with the Bridge is very close to the SonoreUPnP Bridge on my UltraRendu with LPS 1.0

1 Like

Hi

I followed the instructions above on Pi and had the same response re config file.
I think it is caused by the config file not being created due to the user not having correct permissions in directory to create file.
I managed to bodge it but am certainly not qualified to explain how to achieve the result correctly.

CK

1 Like

Could you do a screenshot of the directory please…use “ls -al”

Have not mastered viewing the pi on my iPad so here’s a photo of the directories.

Can’t determine the permissions and ownership unfortunately from that screen shot. If you log into the RPi (via SSH) then at the command line enter…

cd /home/pi/UPnPBridge/Bin

then…

ls -al

take a photo of the output on your iPad and post that…be sure to make sure it captures the full output

Yet to get shh set up so here’s the screen shot.
Thanks for the support Jack.