Router Isolation Stand?

… not from men. :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s not too difficult to test and see exactly how many “router-like” devices in how many countries does the data from let’s say Qobuz or Tidal pass through until it reaches “your” router (and how frequently the exact routing configuration changes). I can guarantee none of them are in no way ‘optimised for audio quality’.

Optimising the last one in the entire chain would be easily outweighed by lack of optimisation in all the components “en route”.

This is another argument along the same lines as ‘what possible difference can a 2m mains cable make when the electricity has travelled through hundreds of miles of cabling before that’.

The point is that the router in your home is not the last one in the chain, it is the first one that your equipment is connected to and so will have the greatest influence. That’s not to say others in the chain won’t affect things as well, but no point in worrying about that as it’s beyond our control.

I this bickering still going on?

:open_mouth:
Don’t be shy Jim, post a video!

2 Likes

Not really. You can’t mix up digital data transmission and electricity. Digital errors are irreversible.

Errr moderators. Could this be moved to the padded cell… er sorry i mean Lounge :rofl:

Seriously. Did anyone mention RFI and the problems hanging long cables off the back of equipment. I assume this is why other manufacturers have suggested embedded for the media and wireless for the control aspects.

My physics is admittedly rusty and somewhat out of date - to the tune of more than 40 years actually! So perhaps you will enlighten me here? I thought that routers were powered by electricity - mine certainly is. Also I thought that the digital data carried inside them was conveyed by electrical impulses. Perhaps I’m wrong here and physics has since discovered that this is not the case. I am open to correction.

1 Like

You may be missing the 1s?:slight_smile:

btw these specially designed hybrid digital/analogue wave formed anti-vibration grooves are known to recover at least 99% of digital errors

Not sure that is correct … in digital communications and digital science and encodings one uses Hamming codes to detect and reverse digital errors… at the cost of reduced entropy.
Even the humble CD uses Hamming codes, as well as the internet is built on protocols that use Hamming codes.

1 Like

Horse wormer might possibly treat covid. So might that anti-malarial drug. I too thank G_d for Science, which is antithetical to this line of thinking.

(Are scientists sometimes “surprised” by outcomes? All the time. But the outcomes come from well-designed experiments, with controls and proper use of statistics when needed.)

1 Like

It’s not difficult at all, humans are quite capable of believing all sorts of nonsense. And then there’s confirmation bias which is alive and well in the hifi marketplace. Same as it ever was and there’s nothing wrong with it. If putting a platform under your router makes you think the music sounds better more power to you. An inexpensive upgrade until Naim starts selling Fraim router stands.

2 Likes

I agree; it’s hardly worth arguing about. Put something under your router if you’re so inclined. Spend $2.00 for a piece of foam, or $5,000 or more on an active isolation platform.

1 Like

Apologies for the brevity of my initial post. I think I can post only thrice in a single thread so this will be my last one here :slight_smile:

The point I was making was that if vibrations impacted digital data transmission, it would have to result in digital data errors in the entire transmission chain, up to and including the router. In reality (and as you say), the error correction protocols are so robust that any disturbances are comfortably compensated, resulting in no degradation across entire data transmission chain. And for this reason, trying to prevent slight vibrations or similar disturbances in an entirely digital part of the chain is pointless.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. At least I hope not.

My understanding is that there is a concern about microphonic and/or induced common mode noise that may be generated by the router and enter a streamer via the cable and impact the analogue stage.

I think there are far better and more effective ways to decouple a streamer from this and those have already been suggested.

1 Like

Agreed.

I think some of the peeps get the beams crossed with cause and effect of notable sonic traits from ‘network’ devices. I suggest most of what hear are analogue influences and not digital encoding influences.

For example: A network device that connects to say a streamer via twisted pair ethernet uses implied serial clocks (Differential Manchester Encoding). These clocks are generated with oscillators. If these oscillators are modulated through microphony or power line noise, then the analogue FM products created will be conducted through the ethernet lead (kind of like an FM transmitter) and potentially couple into the receivers circuity in ways that could be audible or visible - ie analogue or voltage noise. So there is a possible cause and effect here - but it has nothing to do with the digital binary encodings, but is potentially affected by the phase modulation of the timing (clocking) in the data stream… and applies in a reasonably similar way to mains leads or interconnects.

Simon

BTW - I really like your user name - I assume you are a tape fan?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.