Rubbish remotes poll

Out of curiosity, what would you like to control on the ND5XS2 with a remote? I don’t miss it at all, after coming from a Uniti Star (where i used the remote a lot).

Volume, pause, play, skip, previous, mute, display on/off.

Add fast forward and rewind to that list and we’re sorted :smiley:

I quite liked the Naim remotes in terms of quality. I do prefer the size of the Chord TT2 remote though which is smaller and doesn’t have a load of buttons that are never used. It could just do with being a nicer finish to it. A bit too basic in design.

I like the idea of being able to charge it via usb like my apple track pad. I always find I’m out of aaa batteries when a remote dies… never sure where they all go?!?

1 Like

I use it to control volume and source selection through system automation on an SN3 and NDAC. I use an Arcam remote (a one for all clone) to control all of the Naim kit, an LG tv, a Sony Bluray, s Sky Box and an Arcam AVR (the SN3 AV input in unity gain mode supports the Arcam AVR for TV). I really only use a tablet for choosing music to play.

Funnily, the otherwise apparently identical (apart from light color) Uniti remote has much better feel in these arrow buttons.

1 Like

Yep, those 4 arrow buttons in the middle are odd. Sometimes a click. Sometimes no click. All the others have a positive click. Odd.

I have the same problem re n-Sub remote - 2 have failed very disappointing. Now use a Logitech Harmony remote.

2 Likes

You too then Gerry? Ok to ask which model Harmony Remote your using and how did you go about programming it to control the n-Sub?

Cheers, Rack.

I found this thread quite interesting having just upgraded from Nova to SN3 and NDX2. It was quite cool that the back light was green instead of the white of my Nova one.

The only things I ever use my two Naim remotes for are:

1. Volume when streaming. If Naim exposed support for volume with system automation to Roon, I could lose this use. I really like how with automation my SN3 switches to the NDX2 when I cue something in Roon. I don’t need to find the remote to start playing music. But then when it’s really loud I suddenly need to find it!
  2. Volume when playing vinyl. I typically select the vinyl input on the SN3 physically because I am stood there to put the record on my Rega.
  3. Selecting the AV input on the SN3 remote when I watch the TV. I then control my volume with the Samsung remote. The Samsung remote is the remote that I do use extensively - Netflix, Amazon, Youtube etc.

I will say that one of the primary reasons I love roon is the terribleness of the Naim app. :smile:

Are the upgrade PICs still available or long gone now Richard? Just wondering in case I was able to find a Flash that hadn’t been upgraded.

Cheers, Rack.

Sadly they’re long gone now, AFAIK.

1 Like

I got the ND555 remote by accident in with my NDX2 so no complaints here.

G

Does anyone have any work arounds for minimising remotes? I understand if I had a Naim amp I could use the NDX2 to automate the volume, but I don’t. Can anyone help with (out of the box solutions) to;

• Use my Norma IR remote to control the NDX2, eg I could programme the Node2i to recognise the CD controls pause,play, skip, previous etc. Pretty sure this isn’t possible. The issue is going to be the Zigbee control of the NDX2, are there any universal remotes or hubs that cover IR and Zigbee?

• enable the Naim remote to control the volume on the Norma?

There are a few things i like about the Uniti Nova remote:

• Premium look overall
  • Lighting on movement is fancy

There are more things i don’t like:

• It’s too long, making it impossible to reach all the keys from one hand position. The keys i use the most are volume and source, and they are the furthest away from each other.
  • It’s heavy, combined with the length this makes the balance in your hand unpleasant.
  • The keys are too shallow, which makes it difficult to find the right key instinctively from tactile feedback.
  • Glossy black plastic shows smudges easily.
  • It has sharp edges which make me scared to drop it and damage something or the remote itself.
  • Some buttons / icons are confusing, for instance the source button looks like a download indicator of some sort.
  • The ‘light’ button is useless since it changes the Naim logo lighting (why??), it should be a button to change the display mode of the screen (artwork / stream info / display off).
  • The Star button is useless, it switches to a list of 5 Naim selected radio presets. It should show your personally selected presets.
  • I don’t know what the three-dots button is for. Pressing it doesn’t seem to do much under most circumstances, when it does work it only shows some playback info in a square that is also visible in the default track view.
  • It needs four batteries

A remote that i really like personally is the remote of my Fire Stick 4k:

It’s simple, intuitive, light and i can use it without ever looking at it so it doesn’t need lighting. It will run around 1 year on 2 AAA batteries.

Edit: lol playing around with the Nova remote just triggered my first spontaneous reboot in months… :innocent:

1 Like

Congratulations :flushed:

I’ve scuffed the edge of Nova with the remote :flushed::flushed:

Ohh that’s awful, sorry to hear that! :pensive:

It’s not really noticeable. I actually like the remote apart from the sharp edges.

I agree with most your comments about its ergonomy, but regarding it’s look I can’t reconcile the above two. To me it looks and feels cheap. The only thing that’s slightly “premium” feeling is the lighting. It’s not enough to compensate for the bulky, cheap plastic, polished brick look.

The brightness setting should just be added to the app, like they’ve done for the Mu-so and Qb.

2 Likes

Bring back FLASH. Unfortunatly not possible. A remote a bit OTT perhaps but one in line with Naim top products.