Running shoes - what are you using?

Do the better training, then take 4% off your next race time. They only last 100k, then throw them in the gardening cupboard. It’s all fun, it’s all motivational and whatever gets you out running is good.

1 Like

Just for context, I consider the vaporfly 4% model
One of the most beautiful and innovative shoes ever made.
And my favorite sportsman used it in the project breaking 2 .

But guess I still have the professional designer approach: form/ function imprint in my head.
And can’t pay 250€plus on a pair of shoes.

:sweat_smile::wink:

2 Likes

Totally agree. The shoe is stunning and totally different and you have to have it in your hands to really appreciate what can be made. Like I said earlier, when you’ve seen this shoe and On, it makes other shoes look rubbish.

2 Likes

@YetiZone some buggy runners can motor along and finish a 5k well below 20 mins, so you’d have to be quick to wrestle it off them - maybe jump in for the ride perhaps! Must be fun for the kids.

@Count.d the nervous feeling before a race…and the only place a male is likely to have to queue for the toilet.

2 Likes

I can do 5K in under 20min but not ‘well under’ 20min. That is impressive when pushing a little one along in a buggy - hope the occupants didn’t get travel sickness!

2 Likes

Intrigued, I now look forward to actually seeing and handling a 4% at some point, just to see what Nike have done with this hyper shoe. Can’t ever see myself spending that much, but I’m now going to read up on its development.

1 Like

I did. But bought the zoom fly fk instead:
Very similar experience for a fraction of the price.
( I have a Freeport near by, that allowed me purchase the pair from 80€ ( rrp 160€)

:sweat_smile:

@YetiZone the thing is, the shoe is awesome.
And when upon release, offered a new / different experience with the carbon plate.

But the rivals stepped up.
And the “problem “ maintain: overpriced.
The next% are 275€ rrp and so on…

For me it’s not the equipment that makes the athlete. Sabine Schmitt is faster on a Ford Transit Van then me on a Jaguar Turbo. :sweat_smile::wink:

1 Like

Under 20min 5k is very good. I would go on the Nike site straight away :grin:

2 Likes

Pleasant runs :running_shirt_with_sash:

1 Like

A quick update…

Nike Pegasus have been returned as Nike must have changed their shoe last (significantly) since I last bought a pair, as they were terribly narrow.

Hoka also returned, again as they were far too narrow, but I did like their over all plush feel (worn around the house), so I a wide fit has been ordered.

Brooks, well these are very interesting. Not as soft as the Hoka, but a very good fit, plenty of toe box room (and especially height which I often find problematic). Medium plushness and a nice overall feel. They look like keepers unless the Hoka are much better.

All being well I’ll be heading out tonight for a first run in a fortnight due to a pulled calf muscle so I’ll give the Brooks a gentle work out then.

Try ASICS if possible.
Think you won’t regret it

Having tried pretty much all mentioned on this thread over the years I keep coming back to Brooks.

Ditto. The Asics I bought were the only ones relegated to dog walking and gardening before I had barely run anywhere in them.

I hear good things about “On Clouds”, but at that price so one blooming well ought to. And I know Brooks work for me, so I cannot really afford to take the risk.

1 Like

The Brooks are keepers. Just completed a steady 5K this afternoon and they are lovely. Really nice comfy fit, just the right amount of cushioning, no heel strike discomfort. A fine every day trainer. Only minor observation, I was expecting a little more ‘spring’ off the forefoot, but that’s not a criticism, more a characteristic of a daily trainer I guess. Will definitely explore the ‘faster’ models in the range when I need to replace the Ghosts.

Looking forward to the Hoka arriving to compare. I think I can now retire my old Nike Pegasus, although the New Balance still have a few miles left in them yet.

Asics Nimbus for road running 4 to 12km. Had several pairs, very comfortable and they last well but the light cushioning cedes long before the rest of the shoe so you end up with “spare pairs”, which are too good to throw out but not good to run with any more.

Brooks Cascadia for trail runs 5 to 10km. An old pair which have lasted very well but infrequently used these days. Not very comfortable on asphalt transitions but great on rocks and mud.

1 Like

Here in France, back under lockdown. Well, some places but not all.

Where I live the situation is very bad. So of course the restrictions have been, er, lifted.

Last weekend I could go out for exercise within 5km of home for a maximum of one hour, and had to carry a signed ‘Attestation’ to that effect.

This weekend I can go out for exercise within 10km of home, for as long as I like. No attestation needed.

It’s almost as though people going out for exercise was not, after all, what was causing the disease to spread! Pah! As if.

Anyway, good excuse/motivation to run a personal best half marathon.

And if I fully understood the new regulations, I might even have been wholly within them! Yay!

I live within 7km of the sea. Which is legal, apparently. I think.

2 Likes

Brookes for me too - though I’m not using them at the moment as each time I go out, something falls off or breaks or hurts… motivation is low, though the lighter evenings will help…

Falls off ? Thought leprocy was curable these days :thinking:

Can’t run now.

Probably never will.

Groin injury I got 5 years ago.

one of my great enjoyments and ways of keeping the flab off is now gone

hence more biking

This. “We” need to move in order to maintain healthy. Both physical and mentally .

Important thing is no stopping