Rush Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary

Not yet. Waiting for my LP box set. Haven’t been impressed with a number of prior reissues, but this one looks promising.

1 Like

You won’t be disappointed I don’t think those others were DM or half speed. Counterparts is very boomy I played directly after the NM pics and though there was a problem with my hi fi

1 Like

Now tempted by that vinyl boxset.

I have to say the YYZ 1981 live recording on this re-issue is stunning. Terry Brown had a hand in the re-mastering/production & it tells. He was heavily involved with them in that period & he’s managed to capture Rush perfectly.
It’s completely unlike any other Rush live LP - a single show with all the foibles - warts & all - feels like you’re actually there. The song selection is spot on & Neil is in astonishing form. Takes me back!

2 Likes

Yes, I tried the hi-res Qobuz version last year and didn’t enjoy it at all, bright and bloated in my system. My original CD rip was way better.

I’ll check out this new edition to see whether it’s better.

2 Likes

Back in the late '80s I had a Pioneer system and the Rush CDs were a revelation. I’d never heard anything like ‘Mystic Rhythms’ on ‘Power Windows’ before. And I’ve not been able to recapture that balance of warmth and clarity on my Naim/Rega system when it comes to Rush. Strange, as other artists shine on my current set up. Now do I shell out close to £100 on that box set - could be an expensive mistake?

1 Like

Buy it before they go for silly prices on places like discogs :wink:

Never seen them at all……I even managed to miss this one, and I live there!!

2 Likes

Vinyl - the pressure is the closest thing to purchasing a house :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

The hi-res stream of the album sounds great on Tidal through Roon, the best I’ve heard of this recording. The live set is wonderful - my son and I listened to it today and were both blown away by the playing. Neil does seem to be on fire throughout. And Alex outdoes himself on La Villa Strangiato.

I have been to many of their concerts over the years, from Signals onwards, up to and including R40 with my son in Calgary, which was wonderful and bittersweet.

Alex and Geddy have done a recent interview with Strombo which is well with checking out. There is a link to it on the Rush Instagram page.

3 Likes

Agreed on the live set. How can it be so much better than exit stage left! Just really well mixed and coveys the energy of a live performance so much better

3 Likes

And that drum solo in YYZ :hushed:

1 Like

I was thinking the same: there is so much more energy to this live set than the performances on Exit . . . Stage Left.

1 Like

Just ordered the deluxe edition on vinyl!

3 Likes

Fantastic. Let us know what you make if it when it arrives.

Missed this one, just ordered from Amazon :blush:

2 Likes

Blimey - you must have nabbed one of the few remaining copies. The price on Amazon has increased by £23.80 since yesterday. I’ve been gazumped.

Sorry, moving pictures is one of my favourite Rush albums. I had no idea what the price was doing, I just wanted a copy :blush:

1 Like

I shall have to slum it with this instead :grinning:

2 Likes