Russ Andrews PowerBlock

I bought two Kimber Cable mains power chords from Russ Andrews years ago for a couple of Tivoli radios, so I get sent their advertising booklet. They sell a few useful things, but there’s an awful lot of cr*p too.

In the days before cable dressing was a thing.
Left to right: Russ, Dave Watson, Jerry Ubysz, Roy McCullough. 1976
:wink:

2 Likes

There appears to be a naim audio logo on this loudspeaker. :thinking:

1 Like

He also had a dealership in Bournemouth which was taken over by the late John Chapman.

Russ delivered and installed a Rega Planer 3 to me back in 1980.

I seem to recall that there was once a Naim speaker developed with B&W - which may have had the model number 702?

1 Like

Good pics and chat about those Naim speakers here.
With Pictures. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Nice to see a QUAD ESL57 with, I think, a Stand And Deliver stand instead of the three silly little feet that used to be factory-supplied.

PS A random fact about the ESL57 which people may not know - their designer Peter Walker (Mr QUAD!) enlisted the help of Christopher Heal (think department store in London’s Tottenham Court Road) in their design.

Some people still liken them to radiators, but they’re much more attractive than big wooden boxes, which (to me, at least) resemble coffins!

1 Like

There was also a Russ Andrew’s retail outlet in Stavely in Cumbria.

I’m sure when I looked at their power blocks a few years ago (may have been at a show), I was told that they would need a service after a few years. Does anyone else recall this? My main reason for not pursuing was the filters, but the servicing suggestion put me off. I wonder what they did other than tighten up some terminals, and spray dioxit everywhere

I know RA’s little plug-in things ( noise reduction I think ) only lasted a certain amount of time (months or a couple of years, I forget). Maybe that was why I heard no difference.

IMG_8499

Change your mains cables to the Titan STYX, Naim also makes replacement cables. All my Sources, Power supplies, and amplifiers all have these. If you can borrow a set, try them before any mains block.

I have a vague recollection that there were two types of the large eight socket mains block sold by Russ Andrews. One was fitted with filters, the other without.

Hi Clive, I think one had MK sockets, the other has Furutech

I phoned and asked a few years back, the answer was not needed.

1 Like

Roy sold me a few things from that damp basement. Not least a pair of S/H ES11’s who’s rubber surround parted ways from the cone within 3 months.

Those were the days.

G

1 Like

I visited HiFi Corner in Edinburg in 1976 and Russ was there. I heard and Naim system, probably 12s/160 driving ESL57s. Remarkable at the time. The power amp had the top off and I wondered if that was OK with JV? I am not sure but I think that this was before Russ Andrews HiFi. I bought my 12s/160 (second hand) a few months after that visit.

I remember him souring relationships with the Torlyte LP12 sub-frame and the Naim-destroying speaker leads

Roy passed away not so very long ago 2019 I remember reading a titled thread elsewhere saying so.
Nice guy very pleasant and polite. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Which may explain why Guy Lamotte spent so much time at Naim trying to build the legendary FL-1 ‘battle tank- like’ electrostatic loudspeaker, before admitting defeat and leaving the company.

Still, we have him to thank for the ARO!

Have had a RA ‘Purifier’ PowerBlock for over 20-years. Presently used in conjunction with a Tice Audio Solo Mains Conditioner. This has different outputs for Power Amplifiers, Digital Source and Analogue Source components.
The 2 Power Supplies for the NDS are in fact plugged directly into the Tice, with the Amplifiers running off the PowerBlock.
No SQ reasoning behind this, just the need for multiple sockets and to accommodate the cabling in relation to the equipment location.