SBL question

I became hifi aware in the 90’s, I just made very slow progress!

By the way, the card is designed to sit on the top of the bass box before you attach the tweeter box. It defines the optimum gap between the boxes. You remove it after you tighten the arms of the top box.

No they don’t. The speakers are shipped with each box completely separate. They should never be moved without first being taken apart.

So the buyer confirmed that is indeed the case. So I’m going for it ! After 20+ years with Naim it will be the first time I have a full Naim system from source through to speakers. Quite excited to have what should be quite a contrasting 2nd system, and I suspect that I will actually end up using this one more than the main rig given it is tucked away from the rest of the house. Very exciting. Now I just need to get that old lp12 back in commission… :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Exciting times ahead :smiley:

There’s a piece of polystyrene which separates the lower box and the middle box of each speaker during transport. I would ask the seller to dismantle the speakers and fit them for shipping. It will make setting the SBLs up a lot easier for you when they arrive.

Having used a variety of speakers in my room when I plugged in the SBLs I was blown away. I think there is a phase consistency to the SBLs, and other old Naim speakers, that is so transparent.

Look forward to your thoughts.

3 Likes

I would also ask the seller to take extreme care when breaking the seal between the bass/mid driver and the lower box as it would be a shame to have to replace the aluminium pads simply because of a lack of care during disassembly. Hopefully he’ll have assembled them with a thin film of washing up liquid to ease separation.

Love the pic Graeme - something about that olive kit and the LP12. Timeless :slight_smile:

When I purchased my first pair of SBL’s in the 80’s there was a piece of cardboard that you put between the top box and middle. It might just be that.

If he doesn’t have the original boxes, or the knowledge to use them I would be tempted to collect them in person. COVID makes this tricky, at least until the end of the month, but they really don’t travel well imo.

He has the original boxes but he is in a different country - a very very long drive. He seems pretty meticulous, so I am hoping for the best. I guess at worst it will be a rebuild with new seals?

1 Like

The seals are easy enough, I found removing pierced pads, filling the holes in the wood beneath them, then either moving the pads slightly or fixing a new set to be harder.

Well worth the trouble though because they are such a wonderful design. Much to look forward to!

1 Like

Sounds like I may well be back for more advice! But yes - exciting stuff! :star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

I really enjoy mine, I haven’t found another pair of speakers that would sit against the wall either side of a chimney and still image well.

They also look beautiful in my opinion.

3 Likes

Hi

Interesting thread. Its great to know the details. The very late SBL fully veneered cabinets are lovely. And those dust free pictures! I’m picking up my 3rd set of SBL’s later this week, Mk1’s also in walnut but with the later drivers. I do love the sound of these speakers.

I will have to sell a set eventually.

Best of luck with yours they certainly look lovely and I am sure you will not be disappointed once they are correctly positioned and set up.

All the best

Berni

@Robbo Have they arrived yet?

They look a nice pair and with mk2 all over veneers, dont know how much you paid but circa 1k would be fair enough I think.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.