Scandi Noir Recommendations...?

Full agreement with this. Kenneth Branagh is ok as Wallander as long as you watch him first and not the Swedish original (which spoils his version). The Swedish version is massively better. The Wallender books are great

Young Wallender is pretty decent too - Netflix I think

In the middle of watching Bordertown movie (not a series) on Netflix

I have seen all the Beck series - the earlier ones are stronger, but the characters around him are interesting too. Books good too

There was an icelandic one called trapped I think - remote Icelandic coastal village trapped by bad weather so police from Reykjavik could not get there and locals had to investigate murders. One of the best I have seen

Quite enjoyed the Valhalla Murders a few months ago

There must be more but I can’t think of them at the moment

2 Likes

The Tunnel?

I watched that. It seemed quite familiar. I finally worked out it’s just The Bridge set under water

True that.

Sorry, I just checked. Goliath is on Amazon prime. I had subscribed free one month because a lot advised me to see Goliath, as I liked very much Breaking Bad and Ozark. ( both definitely on Netflix)

1 Like

@frenchrooster

I only joined Netflix for Breaking Bad…

1 Like

@TimOopNorth - Bordertown I have already done. Good, as I recall.

Trapped - Wiki - ??

The Valhalla Murders are good - if very dark. Very dark…!!

1 Like

Fortitude - Scandi in style. Has Sofie Gråbøl in it.

I hope you have seen Ozark. If not, you can rush on it !

Trapped Seems to be available on prime for a fee:

The border one - the series are good but there is a new made for Netflix movie length drama. Don’t know if you’ve seen it

1 Like

@TimOopNorth - Prime what…? Netflix only here… :grin:

Ah sorry Amazon prime- not on Netflix (forgot that’s all you have). I think I saw it originally on bbc4 on a series of Saturday nights

You are forgiven… In the Cheap Seats, here… :astonished:

1 Like

@robert_h - I have just ordered The Ice Princess, from an eBay Seller… :slightly_smiling_face:

Let’s hope my recollection and your impression match! I did read the first 7 or 8 books ….

1 Like

Given that I have read dozens of Scandi novels, by quite a few authors, I think you are safe… :crazy_face:

Thanks for this list!
A fourth season of Borgen, Borgen: Power and Glory, is up in the US. It’s as good as the first three.

2 Likes

Two more, true scandi noir:
Below the surface
The Killing. ( don’t remember if they were already pointed above).

@frenchrooster - The Killing I listed, in my first post… But its well worth a 2nd go…!!

Below The Surface I do not know… Unsure where I might find it…? Wikipedia says it was on BBC4 - but its not found in BBC player… hmm…

Borgen S4 has already been on here in the UK. Not sure it was as good (YMMV…), but still worth a watch… :slightly_smiling_face: