Scandi Noir Recommendations...?

If you use the website/app “JustWatch” it grabs all the tv/movie info from IMDb, and lists the channels/subscription providers Netflix etc where you can watch it. Create an account and you can set your channels/subscriptions.

1 Like

Looking on IMDb, its pointing toward Amazon Prime… So, I will not be watching it then… :thinking:

(Just looking on IMDb is OK for me - nothing more needed… but YMMV…)

My memory, my memory….Below the surface not in Netflix. I have too many channels, sometimes I confound.
And “ Undercover” ? Just checked, it’s on Netflix. It’s Belgian, very involving.

I was a big fan of the past Borgen series but series 4 didn’t ring true to me and I lost interest about half way through. Might go back to it if the TV fills up with sport every evening again though.

1 Like

@IanRobertM

I suggest you take a look at the Department Q series (8 books I think) by Jussi Adler-Olsen if you haven’t already come across them.

I have ‘read’ them all via Audible audio books & consider them superb. All are long, clever detective stories tinged with excellent humor from some characters, brilliantly brought out by reader Stephen Pacey in all but two books.

I would imagine they are a good read but, thanks to Pacey’s narration, I think audio books are the way to go here if you can.

1 Like

Yup… Seemed a bit… forced…? Pushing the ‘franchise’ a bit too far, mebee…??

Found it on Netflix… and… already watched it. Quite good, I recall…? Yes… quite involved. Which is good… IMO… :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks. His Wikipedia page is a bit… confusing…? I will not be going down any Audio Book Rabbit holes, sorry. The Keeper of Lost Causes seems to be his first book - that I can find…? I have saved it in my eBay Watch List…

PS. Thank you for all the contributions, so far. Feel free to continue - or not… :crazy_face:
Hoping that others may find this a useful source of Scandi & related ‘stuff’ - on/via whichever media you choose to use… :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, The Keeper of Lost Causes is the first in a series of 8 as far as I can see. The audio book was actually called Mercy. There may be a 9th shortly.

You should read them in order due to the character development that I consider very important to the series, particularly concerning Assad.

If you look on the Audible website you will see that i was not the only person who considered the books excellent.

I have enjoyed audiobooks for years & would find it very difficult to wash the car or do any gardening without them. In fact I couldn’t face the garden but with a good book in my ears I have often been tempted to find the odd extra job that needs doing just to keep listening a bit longer! A lot of the narrators are outstanding & bring the books to life in a way TV & radio often can’t. As with radio, your own imagination creates better pictures than often seen on TV.

2 Likes

I have just order the 1st of the Wallander series… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not strictly Scandi Noir (but Nordic noir) but since you listed Bordertown you might like this one too.

The show follows Sofia Karppi, a detective of the Finnish police who is recently widowed in her 30s with two children. She returns to police work in Helsinki, and her first case is the murder of Anna Bergdahl, a social affairs consultant.

4 Likes

My interpretation of Scandi (*) Noir is fairly wide… Nordic will do.

Found Karppi on Netflix and added to my list…

Thank you…!! (Two series…!!))

(* - According to Wikipedia, the English usage of Scandinavia included Norway, with Denmark & Sweden.)

2 Likes

@osprey - Ah… Ok, sorry, despite not recognising it from the title (which is Deadwind, on Netflix), I did after about 5 minutes. And checking my Netflix confirmed I had seen it already…

Never mind. Still good - Deadwind (Finnish), 2 series on Neflix in the UK.

@IanRobertM Ok, I thought you might have since you seem to have seen many. There is also 3rd series for this though. Hopefully that will be in Netflix later too (I have seen it in Finnish public TV). That kind of wraps up the story.

1 Like

@osprey - Its inevitable… I have searched on Netflix quiet a bit, for Scandi & similar - but it may be new to others…!!

Will keep a look out for Series 3…!!

1 Like

@Canaryfan - I have today order the 1st of the Dept Q series… :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you.

I hope you enjoy it and that it reads as well as it sounded in Stephen Pacy’s narration.

Please let us know.

I will try to…

@robert_h - My first recent Scandi purchase has arrived to day - The Ice Pricess - by Camilla Lackberg.

Never heard of Camilla Lackberg. Will have to look her up.

2 Likes

Camilla Lackberg