Scanspeak Tweeters for SL2, DBL & NBL may be updated in 2022

Damn - I was thinking lately about looking for an SL2 … Now I am considering buying the 2010 as well as a spare (for a loudspeaker I do not currently own) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ordered both 2008 and 2010 Pairs …

Can we be sure, that we will receive the old ones?
“to be updated” does not mean, that it has been updated already. correct? But Summertime is already here … :slight_smile:

4 boxes arrived and are in storage for different times

More by accident I came across this thread too. So I guess I’ll need to order some more spare tweeters as well for my DBLs then, just in case. Thank you !

I also might get a pair of 2008s. Are they hard to change on Allaes? It looks simple enough from the outside but are there any hidden obstacles?

Very easy, you will require a hot glue gun to adhere the damper from the old tweeter to the new and thats about it

1 Like

Good to know, I just ordered a pair.

Just ordered a pair from Falcon Acoustics for a pair of Allaes. Other than removing the hot glue replacement looks fairly simple.

Ordered mine for the SL2s.

Would you install them anyway, or just keep them as 'spare ‘stock’?

Bruce

Tough one, but i guess the only way to find out that they are working properly is-to install?

Just picked mine up from the post office. Very tempted to install them and keep the originals as reserve, otherwise they might never get used.

1 Like

Thats what I thought. I’m going to do that on my IBLs. It needs soldering anyhow since one of the contacts is quite sensitive.

Please do post up photos and details of how this process works and, of course, detailed reports on the sonic effects, if there are any.

1 Like

I’ve ordered 2008’s but I’m not sure whether I get it done before my holidays :slight_smile: If so, I’ll post some photos here.

My IBLs sound a little odd at the moment - just a little. I’ve also driven them active with 2x200 and an IXO and that sounded better than the 140 currently does. I know they really need a 250 to shine but thats too expensive for the 2 hours per week I use them.

I think you spend a lot longer than that each week blogging away on this forum! :grinning:

I’ve got the replacement foam, but haven’t tried replacing it yet. In my experience if there is adhesive residue left you can remove it with isopropyl alcohol and a bit of elbow grease, or acetone if the underlying material isn’t painted

I usually hang around here when listening to music or the coffee breaks during working hours. Lunch now.

Snap!

1 Like

Not quite as straightforward as I expected. Firstly the Allen bolts must be an imperial size; 2mm is too small and 2.5mm is too big. I managed it with a Torx 9. Next was the gunk between the tweeter and the front plate, I assume this is Hylomer Blue, which I will need to buy before I go ahead. Also, there is a lot of hot glue to remove. I’m wondering if this might damage the originals and make them unusable as reserves.

My front plates have discoloured to this odd shade of purple. I’m thinking that when I eventually take them apart, I might give them a quick spray of black acrylic paint.

Finally, I hope any of this isn’t breaking forum rules about modifications. If it is, I will happily remove my post.

1 Like

The purple is from the anodising which can sometimes discolour over years of exposure to UV rays. If it were me, I’d leave it as is - it looks rather lovely. Definitely don’t spray it with paint.

As well, as some suitable solder (if they are pre-ROHS then leaded Crystal 505, otherwise lead-free - do NOT mix solders!) and a high powered soldering iron, you’ll need some hylomar and a hot melt glue gun (most hobby stores should have one - not expensive). Be sure too to remove the weight from the back of the tweeter and stick it on the new ones.

Otherwise, ask your Naim dealer to do the job…

1 Like

If the hot glue does not peel off with after prising apart from the surface with the flat edge of a knife, try dabbing iso propyl alcohol around the edges and trying again.

2 Likes