Scratch scratch I wonder

I’ll give Conistons a try, and I spoke with the dealer this afternoon, who assured me that Spendors are in excellent condition. Your suggestion, @Leggit, sounds like Spendors would be a nice match to Nait1.
Unfortunately, due to Serbia’s small Hi-Fi market, local dealers do not have many options.

If you try the Conistons, the stands are critical. Look for Kan Mk2 type or similar.

1 Like

Thanks, Richard. I have pair of firm mission stand somwhere…

Open frame types will perform much better here than the pillar or pedestal types.

If Royds comes to audition, then my mission stands, which I usually avoid for aesthetic reasons will help. I dislike them, but I couldn’t sell them, so I kept them. I’ll first test Royd’s and Spendor’s at shop; I’m not sure what to expect.

This morning, I noticed that the dealer sells Lii Audio 12’ open baffle full range speakers. These look intriguing, not sure what configuration they’ll work with, but I’ll listen them in the shop to get a feel for them. They are hudge, which is one of their main disadvantages for my setup in studio. Taking Nait with me…

Last night, a friend got over for a few drinks and brought a pair of Totem Mites to test with Nait1. Considering their modest size, the speakers create outstanding sound. I was surprised by sound from such a tiny source. I’m surrounded by totems… These will be here at studio for few days…

A speaker I had for nearly 20 years, punched very much above its weight!

1 Like

Ruark Prelude. You can’t go wrong with these.
Easy to drive, fairly flat benign load. You can plonk them down anywhere and they will sound great, but will also respond positively to some TLC to setup and positioning.

1 Like

ProAc Studio 100… Very very popular in many Studios worldwide

2 Likes

Okay, thanks @TOBYJUG. I was thinking of listening to Ruarks anyhow.
Thanks, @opus. Unfortunately, at the moment, there are no ProAcs Studio100.

Hi guys @Leggit @Richard.Dane @LindsayM @anon70766008 @opus @TOBYJUG
I have good news - two more speakers have shown up and I’m wondering which one I should go for. They are Linn Keilidh and Rega RS1. I saw excellent reviews about these with Nait1 here.
Where do you think they stand in comparison to the others on the list?
Please let me know your thoughts.

I’m afraid that I have no experience of the Linn or Rega speakers that you mention.

I know, from personal experience, just how well the NAIT50 goes with the LS3/5As (see the photo of my Falcons above). And I imagine that the NAIT would be equally good with Linn’s own 3/5 variant, the original Kans.

I had a quick look on eBay just now, and there are any number of the 3/5 and Kans for sale, if you’re prepared to take that risk. Or even cabinets and kits to make your on 3/5s.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Falcon sell LS3/5A kits, if you’re brave enough.

1 Like

Sorry no experience of the Linns, briefly heard the RS1 in an all Rega system and I could certainly have lived with it, very beguiling.

It’s been explained ad nauseum … despite a similar outward appearance and dimensions, the Kans are not a variant of LS3/5A and could not be more different in presentation … I can’t imagine anyone liking both.

Hence my use of ‘variant’.

Why so touchy? Wrong side of the bed this morning?

I admire what Linn have achieved, but the company started by copying another company’s design, after all. There’s a Court case to prove it!

None of which prevents me owning two LP12s.

You don’t appear to be a Linn owner, if your Profile is accurate, despite your strong desire to fight Linn’s corner.

Law Reports reference?

The 1978 patent case concerned Linn’s “copying” - with the LP12 - Hamish Robertson’s Ariston RD11 turntable.

I don’t have a law reports reference, but I’m sure that you’ll find it if you look hard enough.

I’m a long-retired litigation lawyer, and I have no interest in delving into this very well-known episode all over again. But I don’t think that there is any disputing the facts.

1 Like

That would make it a unique case in British Legal History.

1 Like

Forgive me while I get back on my chair, after falling off from laughing so much!

1 Like

I aim to please … btw I thought you were referring to a case concerning Kans … re-reading your post I now realise you had dragged the respective turntables into the conversation. Missed that, and don’t understand the reason. Let’s stick to the question in hand - Kans cannot be considered a variant of LS3/5A in any meaningful sense.

Despite the fact that the Kans were built into unused LS3/5A cabinets?