Scratch scratch I wonder

Whatever they were built into - it’s a different product with different aims, strengths, and weaknesses. I rest my case m’lud.

I think the only connection between the Kan and the LS3/5a was the use of a load of cabinets that Ivor bought after Chartwell went bust, so Linn could offer their dealers the small inexpensive 2 way speaker they had been asking for. It used a similar KEF B110 mid bass driver (it would fit) but that was about it. The tweeters were very different, as were the crossovers (very simple compared to the BBC design). Sound performance was very different too.

Thanks, Richard, did the Kans have a Scanspeak tweeter?

I once bought a pair of Mk1 Kans, with stands, from eBay for not a lot of money. The drive units were in perfect working order, but the cabinets had numerous dents and dings. I filled the damaged cabinets with wood filler, carefully removed the varnish with fine glass paper, and re-applied three coats of matt varnish, leaving a day between each coat.

My son “borrowed” them when he went to Edinburgh University and, twenty years later, still has them. They sound great when combined with his gloss black n-Sub.

Yes, they started out with Scanspeak D2008s then moved to Hiquphons.

I’m very happy with the Falcon LS3/5As with the great little NAIT 50 that I was lucky enough to get for my “small” system.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.