Screen Freeze Update?

This issue will never be resolved maybe for the next generation streamers…it’s take too long to be solved

Meni, have a little faith. The next release has been very widely Beta tested and should fix the issue for good. I’m told it’s just undergoing final listening tests with Roy.

1 Like

Maybe. Can’t say that it bothers me greatly. Just adds a bit of character. :slightly_smiling_face:

Long time before i heard it will be fixed in the next release…i`ve lost faith

Some things are hard.

The price to buy ND555 with 2x555 is also hard to pay

So is a Mercedes 500S and a Rolls-Royce but they are also not free of issues. Yes, it is taking annoyingly long to get this fixed, but some things are hard, in particular if they are not reproducible on demand. Previous updates did fix part of the problem, apparently, though not all.

Mercedes okay but they get immediately fixed…different subject

Not always and not always immediately. But does not matter really. Complex things are hard.

Incredible to see the brand loyalty with Naim that some people here have, but I can understand the frustration of others … non-Naim devotees simply do not accept these kind of issues.

1 Like

I also understand the frustration. But I have not purchased a single computer-based thing in the past decades that worked without bugs out of the box for every single real-life use case. No iPhone, no car, no Windows PC, no lawn mower robot, and so on.

Never the less when those issues were detected, especially game changer ones like screen freezes, it gets dealt with real quick, had it on my surface tablet go when it first came out, they dealt with it quick, I think little concern should be paid to the ‘sonics’ of the firmware. reality is fixes like these should come out immediately as a patch not as part of general firmware release months and months and months later.

1 Like

Well, sometimes yes and sometimes no. Part of my day job is working with Microsoft to fix Office bugs and let me assure you that they do not fix every bug and if they do it is not always quick.

Clearly not everyone sees it this way.

Maybe, but patching opens another can of worms. In any case, even if there was such a system, to fix a bug you first need to identify it, then reproduce it, then understand it, and only then can you fix it and send a patch.

Well evidently after like 2 years naim cannot find the bug, or its hardware. Surely you would have to agree and not defend that point?

1 Like

I am not making the assumption that it is just one bug that is responsible. It seems that some instances were fixed.

Anyways, it’s going in circles again. Yes, it took way too long. Yes, it can be extremely frustrating for those who are more affected. Yes, this can lead to disappointment with an expensive product. Yes, this is not good for Naim nor what we expect nor what they themselves expect.

However, it is simply not correct to say that other products do not have bugs, or that bugs in other products are always fixed and always quickly, or that customers do not put up with bugs in other products.

And if you read my history, you will find many posts where I am criticizing Naim for app quality, for example. So the insinuation that trying to see things with more differentiation makes me a blind lemming is also not correct.

I’m not stating that other products do not suffer from bugs, what I’m trying to say is that the new streaming platform is with us for many years now and that it is getting embarrassing that these things are not fixed.

Correct, you did not. Others did in the past. I mentioned three different statements that I believe to be incorrect.

You wrote “non-Naim devotees simply do not accept these kind of issues”, which I also believe to be incorrect at last in a strict sense.

Indeed.

One scenario that can make things considerably more difficult, is if for instance a problem is related to a piece of hardware that isn’t developed by Naim itself but by a third party supplier. If there is a codependency with the driver of the display for instance, or with one of the other components on the motherboard such as the network chip, this can complicate things significantly.

The streamers use a computing board from a third party manufacturer, and on this board there are chips from again other manufacturers. Each of those chips has drivers that can potentially have bugs or issues, which may sometimes only show under very specific circumstances.

I don’t know if that is the case here, but if it is then Naim would have to pinpoint and isolate the cause first, then relay that information back to the manufacturer of the computing board, who would then have to contact the manufacturer of the specific chip/driver that has a problem. This supplier then has to receive the right debug information, update it’s drivers and do it’s own in house testing to make sure that it has no side effects, then provide an updated driver to the board manufacturer, who will provide it back to Naim, who then again will have to test if the problem is definitely fixed.

This process is difficult to speed up, unless you are as big as Microsoft and have (almost) full control over the technical supply chain.

An example: my girlfriend is using a smaal Bose bluetooth speaker without any software related issues … I have no experience with Sonos and the likes, but I tend to think these companies also have a good control of their software …

That you have found. Please, there is really no use in arguing whether we all accept software bugs on a daily basis