Screen Freeze Update?

Are you sure that powering off doesn’t reset it? It does for me ND555 and I believe for most who have noted it on the forum.

1 Like

You’re right. Pulling the power cable does the trick. Nevertheless annoying.

Thanks

It is annoying but certaily not as bad as losing all settings. Still, I would get in touch with the Naim support as @Richard.Dane has suggested. Or with your dealer. None here is likely to be able to help you on this specific issue. It has been going on for a while and, according to Naim, only affects a tiny minority of users. So far, attempst at fixing the issue via firmware upgrades have failed but further attemps are ongoing and should lead to a new firmware version early next year.

This is incredible, how long is the new platform with us? And still we see these issues … I really love Naim, but this is getting embarrassing isn’t it?

2 Likes

I agree with you. Whilst I haven’t had a screen freeze I do get random reboots of my Star sometimes, maybe once or twice a month, though once it happened twice within about 10 minutes. Looking forward to Naim sorting this out.

AFAIK no one had encountered a random reboot until firmware v3.5, so it must be possible. But I’m told software has to continue to evolve and it cannot go backwards. I’d have thought the random reboot was such a massive faux pas that it would justify revisiting that assumption.

Apologies for the thread drift, but just to get back on track I’ve been having screen freezes once every two to three weeks ever since I purchased my ND555.

Reboots preceded 3.5. My first Nova used to reboot quite often long before 3.5.

I had experienced a few random reboots prior to 3.5 but they happen much more frequently now.

No more reboots but still suffering screen freeze now and then. Let’s hope this gets solved in 2021

1 Like

The title of this thread is “Screen Freeze Update?”, the first post is from Oct. 2019, firmare v3.5 was released in Aug. 2020.

This suggest that screen freezes have been experienced since at least 15 months and, since about 5 months, we have random reboots on the top of screen freezes.

Does anybody know whether the random reboot issue only affects ND555 and NDX2 devices or whether it also affects ND5XS2 streamers?

Mine just froze today after months of freeze free operation.

Grrrr

1 Like

I can say that I’ve seen it with a Nova. As it’s all the same streaming platform …

1 Like

Never seen it with our ND5XS2, but needs fixing. Fast.

1 Like

To be fair at the end of the day these things are glorified computers. If you have had months of fuss free operation then 1 random reboot, let it reboot and get on with your life.

1 Like

I can’t recall with certainty, but I think I’ve had five random reboot events, so it’s far from a one-off issue. When you’re playing music at high level and it stutters before rebooting (which it did for the first time during the most recent reboot event) it’s quite some shock - it made me leap for the nearest remote to mute the volume. When a fault causes what is an expensive music player to stop doing what it was designed to do at random, it is a pretty fundamental issue in my view.

3 Likes

Yeah fair enough, particularly at this price point. I think naim should seriously consider updating their dacs and let people decide a different solution for getting noise to it.

2 Likes

Just had another random reboot of my Star. When it restarted went back to playing a ripped CD stored on an SD card and got Error Code S18 when I used Ipad to reselect the album I had been playing. Tried to play another album but the app could not find any music on the SD card. Did the unplugging and waiting before restarting and all seems fine now. All very strange.

Does anyone know what Error Code S18 means?

First random reboot in ages just occurred when streaming from NAS. Roll on the imminent update!

G

Are there any signs that a NDX2 has rebooted if you’re not using it at the time it reboots ? 5 weeks in and no reboots (I’ve seen) or screen freezes yet.
Hopefully this will continue with the new FW.

Give it time. Mine took 6 weeks before a spontaneous reboot at the start of this week. :smiley: