Sean Jacobs Power Cables

I commissioned a Sean Jacobs PowerBlack for use with my then Nova (for which I had a FF Naim Powerline) & Innuos Zenith in readiness for the arrival of my new 222, NPX300 & ATC 40A’s and there was to me a definite uplift in SQ for the Nova and the bespoke design of the cabling has led to a neat install for the new equipment.

All in all I am very pleased with the sound my new system makes and would definitely recommend Sean’s services to interested parties. I looked at the silver cable options. The mains lead on my PowerBlack can be upgraded should I wish in the future, but as I said I am very happy with the current set up.

1 Like

How much are the power black cables please. I’ve been searching his web site but can’t find a price.
Custom Hifi cables is the right site isn’t it.

Click on the type of cable that interests you, such as PowerBlack IEC. You will then find the prices arrayed down a column on the right with the basic 1m cable price and additional options underneath

@Proterra, pricing can be found if you Google “Custom Hifi Cables Powerblack IEC” as well.

I use all Power Black mains leads to my Wireworld power strip, XPS (NDX 2), HiCap (NAC 282) and NAP 250 DR. A great improvement over the standard PL Lites. I’ve not tried full PLs in comparison but the pricing approx. is 30% of that option.

I have had the Sean Jacobs distribution block for many years, it is very well built and a significant uplift in clarity with no loss of music over both stock Naim cables and a RA power block I had previously. I have a couple of his other upgrades and products and all are very good quality and vfm.

2 Likes

A Hydra type mains block like the Sean Jacobs block or the Powerigel should be much better than using a number of single/separate mains cables from a distribution block as there is far fewer connections and far fewer fuses etc in the electrical path which should deliver the electricity better to the equipment.

If you had a normal 8 way distribution block that would be 9 separate mains leads including the inlet cable from the wall to the block so in the UK that would be 9 fuses and at least 10 connections.

Whereas a Hydra type distribution block would be only one fuse and one connection at the wall.

An 8 way Schuko distribution bock wouldn’t have any fuses but it would have at least 10 connections in the electrical path.

1 Like

That was my thinking :+1:t2: the path of least resistance :grinning:

I also had a 10mm2 dedicated mains fitted with its own CU, earth etc. (subject covered in another thread).

My modest system currently requires 4 electrical connections which if I went FF Powerline would be over £2k and not as neat as what I have been able to achieve with the bespoke PowerBlack👏🏻

The cost of the SK PowerBlack with 5 (in case I add something else) along with the dedicated mains came in around the £2K mark.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, that could be worth a try!

1 Like

I use a Powerigel Plus,the one with Powerline’s and it is superb ,so musically coherent .
Strange that Naim doesn’t build there own version as it really lifts performance with correct Star earthing.

1 Like

What are peoples opinions on the Russ Andrew’s power leads etc

I quite like them! To be honest, I’m a bit reluctant to spend power line money on mains cables before going dedicated spur. So I think they seem to offer nicely made cables and mains blocks. I am happy with my 4 way block. The standard YelloO cable that was feeding it, with a standard IEC, seemed to be pretty loose, so I took them up on their recent offer of an uprated IEC version. Fits far more snugly and I am very sure it’s given a nice lift to the TT and phono stage that are plugged into the block.

Made up my own. :+1:t2:

MK - FC4134BLK
4 Way Heavy Duty Extension Socket, 13A Fused Black
Using MK Safety plug.
Polished Bussmann fuses.
Belden 19364 Screened Mains Cable
Neon removed and blank fitted
All internal busbars polished.
No gimmicks.
All around £50 ish :wink:

1 Like

I have decided to go straight for a wholesale change from 3 pin to Schuko and order a Sean Jacobs power block. Since I have just ordered a PhoenixNet, I’ will keep the costs down and stick with PowerBlack for the time being.

At some point on the future, I will purchase or borrow a single silver cable and experiment on each item in turn. That way, if I like what silver does over the black, I can decide how many leads I would like in a silver power block. The PowerBlack block can then go to a second system or be sold.

My remaining doubt is whether or not to include leads for the Innuos Statement and PhoenixNet and my headphone amp. The Innuos kit is connected to the Naim by Ethernet cable only, the headphone amp is din/rca. Given the choice of sharing the same star wired connections with the Naim kit or connecting it separately (to the same dedicated radial or the regular household supply), where would you connect and why? A second dedicated radial is not available but could be considered if useful.

Ask Sean what he thinks.

He has been so good at answering my multitude of questions and I was at the point of ordering when these thoughts came to mind. I actually felt bad about firing off more questions at this stage…but I just did!

1 Like

As I mentioned earlier I think (if you can afford it) is to get a large silver inlet cable into the block and then copper out to the equipment.

It’s a good compromise but maybe raises the bar slightly over all copper and all silver would be very very expensive.

cost of cables another reason I reduced my black box count to 3 . one of Sean’s best offerings one Naim plus my Melco. active speakers, of course need two power cords

Sean Jacobs is very responsive to Email inquiries, and his Power Supplies are excellent.
Have a DC3-based one.

2 Likes

A very quick response again from Sean who recommends to keep the entire system on a single block. He has a lot of experience with Naim and designed the Innuos power supplies so I am inclined to trust his recommendation on this.

I did consider that but will save the silver experimentation for a later date. It will be easier to justify (to myself) the cost of sidelining a full PowerBlack block into a second system, if I decide to use silver cables in the future. I will happily go as far as a full silver block and leads if I feel it worthwhile but I’m not ready to do that just yet. I do want to get rid of all the connections and fuses though so I’m considering this phase one of a two phase power lead upgrade project.

2 Likes

FWIW I tried both and preferred copper, finding it better textured, more full-bodied and dynamic (greater PRaT)

1 Like