Second System - Streamer + Amp

Yes, the old gen streamers will be a visual match. In other respects (multiroom compatibility, app control) it’s fine to mix them up. Another reason you might consider a current gen. streamer is that they are more reliable with online streaming, and (at a price) bring improved sound quality, but as you know where you are with your 272, there are certainly bargains to be had if you’re happy with the 1st gen. models.

No, a UPnP server is only for streaming locally stored files.

1 Like

Is the UnitiQute2 the same size as the old CB/Olive shoebox units? Presumably such a system could be upgraded over time e.g.

• UnitiQute2 stand alone then add:
  • shoebox power amp then add:
  • shoebox pre amp then add:
  • shoebox power supply etc

If you are just streaming from tidal, then that is supported by the uq2. I can’t think of a better 1 box solution for the £, it’s well under your budget, though matching with your atc speakers might not be ideal (or might be ok I have no direct experience with these speakers). Of course your budget allows for speaker replacement as well.

1 Like

Just found this. They look good together imo. I think the opportunity to upgrade with some classic Naim units and have all the functionality of Tidal streaming is very appealing.

Height might be different but I think width is the same. Sure I’ve seen a photo of uq2 plus nait2 somewhere…

Found!

Borrowing:

3 Likes

Do you really want vintage olive/chrome bumper, or is it the shoebox style that appeals? Given that there is no shoebox source except the Unitiqute, and there is no remote control on the older amps, a newer black shoebox system might suit your needs better. In this case I would consider starting with a Unitiqute, although I’m not sure how well it will drive your ATCs. You can then add a 100 for a bit more power (although there are mixed opinions on what this does for sound quality.) Then you can add a V1, which is a great match for the 100 and will be a nice upgrade on the DAC in the UQ.

Yes of course I’d forgotten about the remote which is important. So the 100 and V1 are also good options.

That said the visual appeal of the CB is such that I might just learn to live without a volume remote…

We have recently had an extension built which took around 5 months. As it impacted the entire house, I packed the main system (NDS, 2x555, 552, 300) away and ran a UnitiQute instead. As I had nowhere safe to store my main speakers (Wilson Benesch Vectors) I left them in-situ. The UnitiQute far exceeded my modest expectations of what I thought it would be able to do with them. The combination was ridiculously good. The Vectors are 89db and 6ohm so a bit more sensitive than the ATCs I guess but don’t be fooled by the apparent modesty of the 'Qute. It’s a great little box and now serving as the main source in the extension with, it has to be said, far more modest and nowhere near as good-sounding speakers!

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

That system looks familiar! Both still in use, and UQ2 on (local) streaming duties feeding my freshly serviced Nait2.

Agree with Chris’s comment, if you plump for a used UQ, then I’d budget for a NAP100 to power ATC speakers.

Yeah I found and linked your post, I think it looks very smart together. The UQ2 might be my favourite naim box.

2 Likes

Many thanks. Agree, I like the visual contrast of the pairing, and they both sound rather good together - the UQ makes a surprisingly good transport.

Yes, the UQ, it is a superb little box of tricks, and after owning quite a few Naim items over the years, the Nait2 and UQ2 are two firm favourites.

As an aside, I know it may well be overlooked and superfluous to some, but I find the Bluetooth facility very useful when streaming podcasts over Wi-Fi from my iPhone.

I use a Superuniti as a second system (serviced 2020). For the price it’s fantastic, it’s a very good amp. Mostly NAS and some internet radio, all via app.

It will eventually get replaced with 272 and power amp when we upgrade, but in absolutely no rush.

1 Like

Different brand but gets good reviews - Cambridge Audio Evo 75
in budget.

But if you prefer Naim then an Atom is the obvious choice

1 Like

Having checked the UQ2 spec am I right in thinking a power amp can be added, but it can’t be used as a source only into a separate pre?

It’s a pre out, so intended to be used with a separate power amp. If you connect a preamp or integrated the signal will still pass through the UQ preamp, and you’ll have two volume controls in use, but it’ll still work.

1 Like

I see but I guess the additional pre wouldn’t add anything no matter how good because the UQ preamp will have already done its thing.

Yes, it you just need more power it makes more sense to add a power amp only - unless it’s a stepping stone to a different source.

1 Like

ATC speakers, if not necessarily power hungry, certainly thrive on more power and, personally I’d want to audition seriously before using yours with a UQ or even an Atom. You mention being open to other brands so might be worth adding the new Cambridge Audio Evo C150 to your list of possibles. I’ve not heard it (few have to date) but it looks very good, just right for a bedroom, and has 150w (of Class D) amplification on hand.

Roger

1 Like