Secondhand prices

There are a couple of important factors here:

Naim buyers are having to wait lengthy periods for new equipment at present. Nothing affecting Naim in particular, just worldwide shortages.
Similar to the car market where secondhand values are very strong at present.

Remember also that Naim hiked prices considerably back in December. Higher new prices must be expected to reflect in secondhand values.

My neighbour bought a new Ford Fiesta two years ago, in early 2020. He sold it a couple of weeks ago for £1,200 more than he paid for it. Strange times.

3 Likes

As I was in Sheffield a few years ago I got a load of stuff serviced by Class A. I’ve never actually used Naim’s servicing and still wish we could utilise them directly rather than via a dealer as is required these days. I guess going via the dealer removes some administrative tasks for Naim staff, the dealer gets a fee and it all potentially builds customer/dealer rerlationships, possibly without being much more expensive. Many ways to look at it, it is what it is.

What did surprise me however is that the srevicing costs are ‘guides’ only and it’s up to the dealer what to charge. If a service is a standard procedure it should be a simple charge, this implies it isn’t.

1 Like

Ditto.

1 Like

When I was discussing purchasing a VW lease vehicle the salesperson told me last year he’d purchased his lease vehicle with a loan as he’d already potentially sold it for £5,000 more. Just incredible.

Even more so in my case, as I’ve been a “semiconductor” electronics design engineer for fifty years, but know absolutely buqqer all about “glowing bottles”.

And they do look so cool, these days!

1 Like

If you are into the Naim philosophy (most of us here?) then whether new or pre-loved it will not let you down. From a Naim user back to a 32 in the early 1980s.
You could take the other view: the earlier you buy in, the lower the financial cost.
From memory the 552 when first released was under £10K. The first CD player, CDS, came out at about £5K. Shouts of disbelief from the then hi-fi press at that price to spin a plasic beer mat.

1 Like

My lovely grandfather used to say the only certainties were death & taxes :laughing:

And lots of people choose not to :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree that prices in general are rising but the cost for a repair & service of some Naim items are now almost double what they were before the recent price increase since repairs and service are now charged separately.

This is a policy change from Naim rather than being caused solely by rising prices and inflation.

2 Likes

Wow - your grandfather was the 6th President of the United States and a leading figure of the Enlightenment? Major respect.

Mark

2 Likes

Quite possible I agree.

There’s always one :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Chill :+1:

Funnily enough, today I purchased an ex demo XPS DR from my dealer.
11 months old, mint condition (apparently) £2,999.

Hopefully I should receive it on Wednesday.

3 Likes

That sounds like a good deal DJM.

1 Like

Plurison in Quebec, Canada, do excellent service work I’ve been told. I believe U.S. customers send their kit there as well.

2 Likes

I can vouch for Plurison as well, they DR’d all of my kit.

Tim

1 Like

Anyone an idea what would be a fair price for a nac 72 / nap 250 / hicap combination?
Outside is in very good condition, but probably needs a recap.

I’d hope to get 1800-2000 for my serviced CB Hicap/32.5/250 according to web selling prices, so take off current cost of service and about there.

Ok, thanks. The set I saw is way more expensive… so I’ll pass on this one.