Service cost 500 dr

Hi I am thinking of buying a secondhand 500 dr has any got any idea of what it cost to have it serviced

Around 1000GBP per box is the 2022 pricing Iā€™ve seen. Given price increases lately my guess is bit more today.

1. Price per box. I believe only Naim perform service on NAP500 today.

I recently had my 250 serviced, by Class A and the cost was around Ā£300.

I would expect a 500 to beā€¦ ā€˜moreā€™.

Iā€™m pretty sure Class A donā€™t service the 500ā€™s.

Yes expect to pay approx. Ā£1,000 per box.

2 Likes

The NAP500 is a lot more complex in its construction. I think only the factory and possibly Chris West at AV Options will work on the 500.

5 Likes

Silly questionā€¦
When service (re capping) is to be done. Can this be done with 500ps only?
This should be more simple I guess?
Same with 552?

Asking for 552 as well as I am currently looking for a service option for 552ps

1 Like

My NDS is coming up to ten years so getting close.

Is it still recommended to service streamers if they are functioning well?

Thanks Richard - I know the timeframes.
My question is.
What is part of service - both units or only psu? And is psu easier to be done (e.g. locally).
The 500 head unit looks like a massive Lego build - no doubt that this is hq only service

Edit: have read the post again - thanks. I will check with naim germany or other service points and give it a try.
Can send it to uk also - if I keep the 552, there will be a spare 52 available :o)

Steve doing some magic with his wireless Multimeter! :smile:

My guess is that the box that mostly benefit from the service is the ps box having all those huge caps.

NDS has a bunch of Tantalum caps. I assume itā€™s those they replace but I would focus on the 555PSDR caps first and foremost.

naim-hds-inside

619naim.ins2

3 Likes

Think it is the same with 552

Yes 552ps is similar.

3 Likes

Not sure about Streamers, but for CD Players I think the advice is to leave alone, unless there are faults.

1 Like

If @Darran sees this I am sure he can/will tell usā€¦!!

Iā€™ve asked Class A in the relatively recent past and been told no - 500 series is back to base only.

1 Like

Richard, so Focal-Naim in Montreal cannot service 500 series components? Or just 500 DR?
David

I donā€™t know David. Best to check with them.

Whatā€™s that saying, ā€œIf you have to askā€¦ā€
:smirk:

1 Like

Chris West / AV Options services 500DRs but the cost is eye-watering. (like $7200 for head unit and PSU). However, itā€™s not just a service but what he calls a rebuild service, and I think that involves rather a bit more.

Of course in the U.S. anything Naim is quite a bit more costly than in the UK.

This is what the price list states:

POWER AMPLIFIERS

Our rebuild services include replacement of many circuit board and chassis parts in the process of reconditioning the whole amplifier. This is a very detailed overhaul, followed by rigorous testing and tuning of the amp circuits. Listening tests are an integral part of our thorough process during which no stone is left unturned!

2 Likes

Focal/Naim North America services mostly everything. Iā€™m not sure about the 500 series. Iā€™m not sure how AV Options even stays in business with their extremely high pricing when Focal/Naim North America services products for a LOT less.