Seven Years with Uniti Core

Too many bugs and missing metadata are making ripping cds with the core a often painful procedure. Maybe I will find an alternative way soon. But I hate using the computer for music purposes.

The Core’s predecessor, the UnitiServe, has internet radio function. Obviously not in CD resolution, as it is based on 1st gen streamer technology. It may be worth checking if the Core has that feature, too, and if so, whether it offers CD quality internet radio. That would nicely complement your 272.

It doesn’t have any internet radio facility at all.

1 Like

That ain’t progress :frowning:

Alternative = Innuos
Probably the most user friendly in the market. See the search part, lots of threads.

1 Like

The 272 has internet radio built in, as do all of Naim’s streamers including the legacy streamers. You don’t need a Core to do that.

Thanks for this advice. Will check.

1 Like

Thanks all for weighing in. The innous zen mini is an interesting option as I would like the ability to stream qobuz to my 272 without using my MacBook . Ive tried the mconnect app on my iPhone and Tidal, as a test, but to my ears SQ took a hit compared to just streaming Tidal from the Naim app. Is it possible to stream hi res (192/24) via upnp / Innous Zen to my 272?

I think it’s the max, as you will use Spdif or usb to Spdif converter. But better check, perhaps @Filipe ?

I have had a Uniti Core for around 5 years. I find it works well. The only issue I have encountered is that the Seagate hard disk drive I originally installed failed about a year ago. I replaced it with a Samsung solid state drive and recovered my music from the backup.

I also have a Melco Intelligent Music Library. I don’t find it nearly as easy to use as the Uniti Core. Also, I couldn’t claim that sound quality is any better than the same disc ripped to the Uniti Core. The sound quality of music played from both units is excellent.

1 Like

We had a 156 Sportwagon, one of the first in the U.K., and it was lovely to drive. I’m pleased it was a company car though, because the ECU failed in the first few months and they are really expensive to replace. That said, my Audi A3 even better to drive and it doesn’t have bits coming unscrewed.

In situations where the Core doesn’t recognise the metadata (most often this happens with random “best of” or obscure CDs) I copy the WAV files and convert to FLAC (using DBpowerAmp), and then use a metadata editing tool (MP3tag is my go-to, but there are plenty of other options). With the editing tool I can easily do a metadata lookup using album name/artist prompts, and a search against discogs will usually find the correct details.

I can also rename the original filenames in batch mode using the MP3tag.

If I needed another Core, and one was available at a good price, it’s definitely up there. As others have said, it’s missing some functionality, but as a server and ripper it generally does a very good job.

4 Likes

Thanks for your advice, Jono. That reads a bit complicated. Unfortunately I am all but an expert with IT issues.

Think the 156s and the early 159s (which I’ve owned 2 of) had lots of problems. The Sportswagons were beautiful on the inside and out side.

I bought a Core new a couple of years ago and it has never post a foot wrong. I have managed to up the playback sound quality by using the ethernet connection to my Aqvox SE switch and hence to my Lumin U2 mini streamer which allows USB output to my DAC. This route is a large step better sound wise than the direct SPDIF coax Core output.

Only issue with my Core was the issue with Rovi, picking up album art. Finding the album art took seconds so no great problem. The latest firmware update has solved that. It’s a cracking bit of kit. Simple to use, easy on the eye (some of the competition offends my eyes - subjective issue of course) and sound quality is as good as the CD I rip. A very happy Core owner. Simplicity and aesthetics are important to me. And playing a ripped Cd feels just like playing the actual Cd - I still have those to check who’s playing what etc.

6 Likes

Had also a 156 sportwagon. 250.000 km in 4 years and not the slightest problems. Bought also a Audi A3 and only problems from the first day, a so called “monday” car.

1 Like

I’m not sure why, but I think it’s a lot better with the latest firmware.

Isn’t language interesting. What you call a Monday car, we in England call a Friday car.

1 Like

Thanks, I checked. Latest firmware is already installed.