Sexy hifi

It would appear you may have stumbled upon the ‘informal’ (i.e. American) definition. Not to worry, if enough of us simply ignore such aberrations they may go away!

1 Like

Sexy = sexually attractive or sexually exciting.

Each to their own… :wink:

1 Like

Black catain coal cellar alert

1 Like

Guilty your honour

:grinning:

2 Likes

Funny how HiFi was/is marketed to men with sexual imagery. Don’t HiFi manufacturers realise woman have ears too?
Isn’t the notion that owning a particular pair of big speakers would make geezers attractive to sexy woman laughably absurd. I’m no sexpert but I’m pretty sure most ladies would run a mile from obsessive nerdy audiophile anoraks in need of some therapy!

:rofl:

Sitting in my lounge, listening to Tool’s latest (wife’s out!), looking analytically at my system. I’ve realised the whole point of this thread is the difference (to me, at any rate), between visually attractive and pleasing, in an industrial fashion, to the eye (my ProAc speakers and Naim Classic boxes) and ‘sexy’, which being inanimate they can never be!

The BBC’s recent Dieter Rams documentary reminded me that there is no hi-fi more sexy than the stuff he designed for Braun. Just stunning!

The item below, astonishingly, dates from 1966, demonstrating that good design is timeless:

5 Likes

More deliciously Dieter design. Remember, less, but better!

1 Like

@TheKevster very very cool, classic and timeless as you say. Is that the stuff that is in the design museum ?

1 Like

@biddler66 - some of it is. I believe there is a museum in Germany somwhere that has all his stuff in one place, which would be a big attraction for anyone with an interest in design.

1 Like

The sexiest turntable ever? Certainly the prettiest… the Bauer dps:

3 Likes

sexiest gear for me:

Now if Apple made hifi, I dread to think of the adjectives that would be wheeled out! Google ‘Apple’ and ‘sexy’ and the number of hits is simply astonishing!

1 Like

Along with the Bauer, the other super-sexy TT is the LP12 – but only if it has a fluted afro plinth. Those fancy Harbans don’t cut the mustard as far as I’m concerned, anything but a fluted plinth makes the deck look tubby IMO. A Sondek should look low-slung to be sexy.

7 Likes

I don’t find any of that sexy at all. It’s all a mess. Not what I would have in my house I’m afraid, even if I could afford it.
Best

David

1 Like

each person each taste, the reason i wrote « sexiest for me ».

the sexiest naim component

2 Likes

Agree there. My newer LP12 deck is sans flutes but is less of a dust trap than my 1990 model! Still like those flutes though.

1 Like

What makes it sexy in your eyes? Virtually no curves in sight (though there is a ring), rather there are hard edges and sharp corners. Nothing soft and yielding. Any whilst it is wearing black, it is more like a funeral shroud than a “little black number” (translation: skimpy skin tight black dress), though with an overall appearance like a fancy storage box… :grin:

1 Like

difficult to say. It’s represents to my eyes state of the art. It looks impressive, very well built, a bit futuristic with the top loader mechanism.