Sexy hifi

and you IB, what components or brands do you find sexy. Perhaps sexy is not the appropriate word. I even wonder on the real goal or reason of this thread.

Can we say that a nice watch, a ferrari car , …are sexy ?

No! Haven’t you read the article linked to in OP?

the author invites us to stop using this inappropriate word. I agree.

1 Like

Sexy is an extremely nice word!

so you don’t agree with the author of the OP pdf ?

All I am saying is I like the word. :wink:

1 Like

what hifi brands other than naim ( or eventually linn) do you find very attractive or sexy ?

Too postmodern for my tastes :upside_down_face:

1 Like

2 Likes

Maybe I’m missing some deeply meta joke in this thread, but surely ‘sexy’ in this context is simply being used as a synonym for ‘attractive’ or, if that’s challenging for the very literally-minded, how about ‘aesthetically pleasing’?

Mark

4 Likes

I fixed it :sunglasses:

there is something really sexy in the screen :tv: or visually attractive ?

1 Like

This is pathetic. Are you 14 years old? Naked bottom. Grow up.

1 Like

You probably need to discuss that with Melody, it’s her cover.

True. Maybe that’s the only way to sell it. Is it sexy for a musician to portray herself in such a way? She is a great singer. Why stoop so low that some bloke on a hifi forum posts the cover on a sexy hifi thread?

Humour, like good music, we need more of it.

3 Likes

i am surprised by such puritanism of HH.

2 Likes

I think he’s having a bad hair day. Forgive him, it happens to all of us.

Maybe FR has developed the better understanding of British humour!

1 Like

Thinking nice looking, rather than sexy which applies to no hifi I have ever seen:

Most electronics is rather boring, some rather industrial. Ranks of black boxes fall into that category, but at least they are inoffensive, so if they have to be visible it is not really a problem. To me, chrome or silver often verges on the offensive, and certainly the case when they bristle with knobs and unnecessary meters like 1970s Japanese hifi.

Chord’s Dave is rather bland, but on its dedicated stand I do think is rather attractive, especially in black - but regrettably I can’t justify the nearly £2000 cost of the stand, so my own one is the bare black one (and I have the display off). Unusually it is not bad in silver colour.

Some valve amps can be attractive in a retro kind of way, with their glowing tubes - but absolutely with no ‘bells and whistles’ in terms of knobs and meters etc.

Otherwise speakers can be quite interesting, or even attractive either in a furniture sort of way (think nice wood veneer), or in a technological way such as with big horns, ranging from the Fergusson Hill transparent FH001 that is as near invisible as it is possible to get a wide range speaker, to mammoth novel contraptions contriving to fit a pair of horns with a minimum 16ft mouth perimeter (5m) into a room.

This thread is at risk of morphing into the “not how it sounds but how it looks” thread…!

1 Like