Shall I shan’t I get a 552

The 282 is amazing and I still regret selling it. Great though the 552 is, it never sounds as engaging as my beloved 282 / non DR Supercap combination did, and I’m back to analysis rather than simple musical enjoyment… :frowning_with_open_mouth:

2 Likes

I guess we agree to disagree. I find the 252 to sound nothing like the 202. But I’ve never heard a 282 so I can’t comment on that.

But, as said above, chac-un a son gout!

I’ve owned a 72, 82, 52, 202, 282 & 252 (the last three twice). The biggest leap by far is the 552. I wish I’d stuck with the simplicity of the 202/200 for a few years and saved, saved, saved, to get to the 552 sooner.

G

5 Likes

Installing the 552 today guys…
Can’t wait to have a listen. Unfortunately I’m being dragged to a childrens party at 14:00 :pensive:. Plan is to install it all this morning & have a session this eve…

Can’t wait

7 Likes

Not a bad plan………let it warm up nicely

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought….

I do hate switching the hifi on and off…
I’ve only got a 16amp fuse on the breaker for the stereo and it regularly trips when I switch it all on (worked out I need to give a delay between pushing the on buttons)
It’s a bit like when they power up the LEM in film Apollo 13 :joy:

Should change it really !

2 Likes

It takes a while to fully warm up, but when it does the music sounds so natural and effortless. Its an amazing pre. Try not to have any other kit too close above it as this seemed to have a negative affect on mine. Also keep it as level as possible when removing the transport screws. I placed the rear two feet on the rack and held the 552 level while removing the screws then very carefully moved it into place avoiding any jerkey movements.

2 Likes

I find this surprising. The 552DR is just as sweet and coherent as any previous pre I have tried in the same system, but with additional clarity, spacial presentation, and layering of sounds. I wouldn’t want to go back.

I wonder if the old elephant in the room applies here? That is the room itself, the system must suit the room.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting point but for me that would be too big a jump and too long a wait. My own Naim journey, knowing what I know now should have been, fc,112,150 direct to hc,282,250 on to 552,300. It wasn’t. :grinning:

2 Likes

Indeed. Hindsight is all very well, but in the moment we all want that next best thing.

My only downgrade-upgrade was going from 200 to 250.2. Much preferred the nimble 200.

G

3 Likes

All set up…

First test song Mungos Hifi Nice to meet you.

First impressions…

Instruments & vocals are clearer and more direct. Brighter and the double bass sounds amazing.
Seems quieter at the same volume as the 252.
From cold… pretty impressive thou!

How long to warm up do you think?

2 Likes

Up to 3m’s perhaps IME.

2 Likes

48h. Then you’ll be accustomed to it after around 3 months.

G

3 Likes

My Naim amp starting point was a Nait 3 then I converted this to a 92 and bought a 180.
Followed - 102, HC, 250, 82, 2nd HC sold the lot and went for a 72/HC/140.

Another downgrade to the original Nait 5, kept this for a few years.

Further additions and changes over the years 32.5, HC, 250, 72, 110, Nait 2

Past five or so years 272, 282, 252, 300 and now a 552 and of course I still own my Nait 2 :grin:

Hindsight and in this order
Nait 3
82/HC/250
552/300

But life throws challenges, job and partner changes the HiFi takes back seat.

46.5hrs to go :disappointed:

1 Like

I am sure the improvements will creep up on you to the point where they become normality. No going back from there! :grinning:

1 Like

Not a bad place, mate! There is always better somewhere — one doesn’t need to chase the ultimate whatever. Where does it end, and can that provide happiness? I doubt it, to be honest.

Obviously, if one has the money lying around why not get a 552? It might provide more enjoyment than in staying luxury hotels, for instance… :smiley:

2 Likes

Chamging a breaker is easy. The problem that might emerge is that your electrician might say that a higher rated breaker, say 32 Amp, can’t be fitted because it’s not right for the circuit. They might also say that to comply with current regs the MCB would have to be replaced by an RCBO.

Even if you have to stick with 16 Amp you may well find that changing a Type B to a Type C prevents tripping when you switch on your power supplies.

2 Likes

That’s interesting - I found the DR PSUs had major impact - for me the biggest jump was the 282 DR to 252 DR; the latter was so natural and beguiling.
The 552 in my experience was more resolving but I am not sure if felt as natural on much produced music - the 252 would handle anything you sent it - and it sounded enjoyable. The 552 was more insightful and possibly got more out of mid level sources - where as the 252 was more fussy, but the 552 probably not more enjoyable to my tastes.

If I was stepping back into Naim Preamps again - I think it would be the 252 DR for me - and planar headphones and headphone amp for total immersion. It might be different if I had a large acoustically treated listening room - but I don’t.

4 Likes

Been listening for an hour now…

And it’s definitely very good… but doesn’t seem as smooth as the 252 at a higher volume… (north of 10 o’clock) which i rarely turn it up too.
the instrument detail is amazing thou… much clearer imho…

The vocals are more direct and it’s more punchy…

Listening to Katie Melua album No8 and ‘English manner’ is definitely on point ! :wink:

3 Likes