Shall I shan’t I get a 552

It’ll smooth out as it settles.

It took my 252 weeks to sound like this…

It’s better I think already!

1 Like

Just checking :grinning:

1- you have removed the 4 transit bolts…it has been known that parties have overlooked this.
2- you have managed to cable-up with the 552 cablings close to each other

• per the other thread running, I would kill the display.

Theory says that you should be able to play slightly louder with better kit, as you get a cleaner sound (inc often tighter bass - and the bass is always the last thing to come on song) - on the assumption your listening space doesn’t ‘object’.

1 Like

Hi, it sounds like you are having fun. The 552 won’t be as smooth as the 252, after all that is what you are getting with the 552, you don’t really want it to be smooth or subtly filter the sound… you may notice more of a hardness on the 552 with some productions, that is you are hearing more what is actually there… and also perhaps the extra info from the 552 is more reacting with your room (reflections etc), more noticeable when you turn the wick up. (The relationship between hearing sensitivity, loudness and frequency is very non linear…)

The 552 will more easily reveal production and mastering techniques compared to the 252 … which I enjoy and was important for me…

However your brain is a fascinating thing… and after a while you will most likely get used to this different presentation, unless there is a notable issue, and your brain will settle in.

6 Likes

Yup all four screws removed and I run the cables in the same way as my 252… 552cables nx to each other in a bit of pipe insulation…

3 Likes

I see it this way, the 282 as visceral, the 252 as refined but neither exclusively so, the 552 does the best of both and a lot more.

2 Likes

I’d be nasty, if the carrier was supposed to get a signature, and they haven’t. I’d leave it a week and tell the supplier that you haven’t received them. A carrier is paid extra to get a signature and to deliver the item correct. IF I saw two Naim boxes outside someone’s house I’d get something to conceal my identity and put then in the back of a car, hang on that is theft and is illegal, so I could not do that.

A long time give it a few weeks…to settle…

1 Like

Naa as long as they turned up and we’re safe I’m not overly fussed…

Firsty I wouldn’t want to lose someone their job. And secondly I very much doubt the guy off eBay insured them for 10k.

I did speak to the seller and he’s gonna have a grumble.

3 Likes

I dont trust couriers when I bought my 552 I collected journey time 7 hours!!

8 Likes

Yep I collected…direct from seller…

3 Likes

The problem is when they need service. I want to take mine to naim myself but they wont allow it. Im very disappointed as I don’t want to use couriers, even through a dealer. I would have been happy to drive the 3 hours each way myself. Still, they are sounding wonderful at the moment so more of a future issue that I will try to deal with as needed.

1 Like

Thankfully the 552 service is due 2034 the 300 2029 :slightly_smiling_face:

By the 15 year rule mine are due but I’m not bothered as they currently sound the best I’ve ever heard them so I’ll wait until I feel they need it then try to sort something somehow with naim.

1 Like

Just on the courier thing, after 8 plus years of courier perfection between UK and France ( even with Brxit delays and customs sheds) I had my first dropped parcel in the last week or so within the UK. Small but expensive so now to see how the insurance works.

Sorry to hear that but its exactly why I would rather drop my kit off myself. Hope you get it sorted easily.

Just the thought of dealing with a courier over insurance fills me with horror – to many examples that suggest it might take one’s will to live… @feeling_zen’s well documented experience over a pair of PMC Twenty5.23 is such “horror story” that comes to mind. I think he concluded that it would have been “cheaper” (thinking in terms of opportunity costs presumably) if he hadn’t made the insurance claim. Dreadful!

I’ll let you know in due course.

Indeed. I can’t find the old thread (Am sure it was deleted as most old forum threads were), and the details grow foggy. But, Ii cost me more in time off work than the speakers were worth. The insurance agent insisted on multiple inspections during weekday business hours without specifying a time so I had to take over a week off in total. Then they claimed that the damage was only worth about $1000 despite PMC saying the cabinets are not repairable. So they wanted me to go to a furniture repairer instead.

I got the full amount in the end minus international shipping costs and vowed never to insure anything under the value of say, a SuperCap ever again.

Perhaps that’s the reason I find the sound of the 282 unique. I’ve tried quite a number of amps throughout the years and the 282 sounds rather special. It may not be the most refined but it’s a bold, fun and dynamic sound. I have it partnered with a Hicap DR though.

2 Likes