Shelf Isolation

I thought we should start a vaguely hi-fi related thread for those finding themselves quarantined by ConneryVirus.

A thread of information / solidarity for those affected, as I suspect many of us may be soon.

G

2 Likes

Was that intentional, or autocorrect running wild?
So far we have @TOBYJUG I know of, weā€™re thinking of you TJ.
Hopefully youā€™ve got good stocks in, and the music is helping keep you sane.

2 Likes

I posted earlier in the general Sean thread, so hereā€™s a cut and paste from there:

"The whole self-isolation strategy seems to be seen from the viewpoint of protecting others from infection.

As one of the ā€œat riskā€ folks, age wise, Iā€™m wondering if it might be an idea to adopt self-isolation, purely from a self preservation stance.

ā€œIā€™ve already got a supply of good music, plenty of my favourite single malts and a freezer full of goodies, so, I ask myself, would it really be such a hardship? :grinning:ā€

My sympathies with anyone confined at home, @TOBYJUG in particular. :pray:

3 Likes

I think weā€™re due to go into work from home mode very soon. As someone with an underlying condition Iā€™m not too keen to be part of the herd experiment.

G

3 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure about that Graeme, considering the global concerns & the effect on everything, the percentage of the population who have been infected is remarkably low.
Accepted that there must be an unknown many who are not included in the statistics as they did not report to or need the medical services
China who now seem to be moving towards the end phase with its 1,408bn population show 0,011% reported as infected.
Italy who is probably close to peak is at 0.03%, other EU countries are in the same ball park.

The present ā€˜herd immunityā€™ strategy suggests 60%ā€¦No?

G

Thanks to those who have expressed concern, and on the other thread.
In the past being achy from physical exhaustion, being in bed is the last thing I want to be in. With a feverish aching - it seems the only place.
Past years I have had a flash flu. A debilitating illness that lasts a couple of days. This one seems unusual as itā€™s only affecting my head and nervous system. No bunged up nose,sneezing and coughing. So hoping my nervous system battles it out before it goes further into my respiratory system.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this TJ. Can I ask how itā€™s affecting your nervous system?

Cheers

G

Iā€™m no expert, but guessing the all over body fatigue,ache and high temperature.

1 Like

Heal fast and well @TOBYJUG, you have my sympathies. I have had flu twice and it really sucked.

Donā€™t know coronavirus yet, but expect I will soon enough. (Wife works as a doctor on what is quickly becoming the coronavirus ward. We expect she will become infected as other doctors there have, bring it home and share it with me).

Anyway, I wish you a speedy recovery.

1 Like

My partner has expressed extreme agitation towards my advice on coronavirus.
Myself being a little poorly, she takes it that I am an authoritive know all straight from the field - which is kind of true but wrong on different levels.

So if perhaps domestic issues get hot over the choice of those new huge speaker veneers. Just change the conversation to being concerned about the other big C.

Apparently 80-90 Chinese couples coming out of quarantine have applied for a divorce!

G

5 Likes

The trouble with China, also Hong Kong, is that the majority of homes are very small. I have a relation living in a Hong Kong town hi-rise (for which read vertical village), and their flat is something like 250 sq ft gross, with 2 bedrooms (and it is not a bargain basement one, its value well iver Ā£1M). It is not uncommon to have 3 genetations in the same space, and if lockdown prevents people going out I would expect a high level of mental stress, and can easily see how it can strain relationships.

Iā€™m waiting to see my doctor this morning after having a flu/cold thingy over the past 3 days. Regardless of the outcome I think Mrs Pete and I will isolate ourselves. On a positive note, my concern had been a trip to Chinatown with my 92 year old mother last weekend. She has just rang me sounding as chippy as ever. She rang to tell us that she has been ā€œpanicā€œ buying toilet paper (when on a discount) for years and has a cupboard full of it, and more happy to share.

Iā€™m not sure that I fancy shelf-isolation, but self isolation if I am not seriously ill, and if I am not working from home, sounds lije a desirable holiday, but tgat assumes necessary (and desirable) supplies are available, and Iā€™m lucky enough to have a home where I would not feel couped up, and more hobbies than I have time to indulge. However for health reasons I would go out most days for walks or cycle rides, just avoid close contact with anyone.

Iā€™m in the bottom end of the vulnerable age range, though below the age 70 UK target self-protect age, and still at work. My biggest headache is ensuring that services crucial for the public are maintained come what may. If I have to self isolate I will, and can do some work from home, but having the entire small group of staff self-isolating at same time is untenable, so lots of effort at the moment putting systems in place to minimise that risk.

Iā€™m not sure I fancy sharing toilet paperā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

As soon as I read the title of the thread I thought to myself; ā€œsounds like Sean Connery saying self isolationā€! Thanks for the smile :blush:

1 Like

Just posted on the other thread that according to my doctor we should all self isolate for 2 weeks, she also feels itā€™s going to get worst before showing any signs of improvement. As Iā€™ve said time for stupid conversations about weather this is no different to the flu is well and truely over. We all need to take this seriously.

1 Like

My mum says sheā€™s had a good life and that sheā€™s not stopping going to the bridge club or garden tours and we donā€™t know what it was like in their day and she survived the Hong Kong flu epidemic in 1969, our generation is too soft, and all her friends agree with her!

But thanked me for caringā€¦

2 Likes

Well I hope both our mums (and everyone elseā€™s) are going to be ok. Causes there is no way my mother intends to ā€œhideā€ for 2 weeks, she thinks 2 weeks without bingo is almost as good as death anyway.

2 Likes