Shelf Isolation

@TOBYJUG I hope you are on the mend really soon.

Hearing folk are getting better and back to normal is best news we can all hope for. So I look forward to reading about your full recovery from this horrible illness.

Tiberio

2 Likes

While Australians are panic buying toilet paper some Americans are panic buying guns.

2 Likes

I hope goes awayā€¦ but in eastern East Anglia I understand there is a lot of ā€˜flu like virus going around, not unusual for this time of year, however nothing to do with the C wordā€¦ resulting in high temperature, head aches muscle achinessā€¦ so fingers crossed for you.
So far in Suffolk we have three reported C virus cases.

My doctor told me this morning that thereā€™s lots other flus and colds going around. I guess this causing a lot of anxiety and additional pressure on and already struggling health care systems. Weā€™re definitely in uncharted waters now.

3 Likes

Mrs. G. has just gone back to work (sheā€™s a consultant in her local hospital, Acute Medical Unit) after two weeks holiday. Her ward has been turned into a coronavirus ward, so we fully expect to become infected. We are both in our fifties and kept ourselves very fit, so not worried about it.

We are of the mind that we both need to get this virus, recover, and get Mrs. G. back to work ASAP. Worth noting that 3 out of 9 consultants on her unit are off work having tested positive, as are some junior doctors and nurses.

Please stay away from hospitals unless you really need to be there!

10 Likes

Hope all goes well for you and Mrs. :+1:

3 Likes

Mrs SinS is a community nurse over quite a large rural areaā€¦ with a few nursing homes within itā€¦ she is now having her temperature taken before she enters to treat patients.

I agree our approach, well possibly more hers as the health professional rather than mine, is letā€™s get it and move onā€¦

Itā€™s quite interesting what some of her elderly patients say apparentlyā€¦ put it this way some definitely donā€™t want extra protection or consideration any more than anyone else in the country recognising as being elderly they are more vulnerableā€¦ I guess they belong to that largely unselfish period of the Second World War and immediate post war yearsā€¦

5 Likes

My dear lady, an ex-community matron, who has been asked to consider returning to work, says that in addition to washing hands a lot, one should gargle salt water after every contact with people. It reminds me of advice my grand parents gave me during the flu outbreaks in the ā€˜60ā€™s.

Arenā€™t the coronvirus virions a wee bit small to aim at? Or is the idea to blast the living host ā€¦ into billions of individual infected cells to be inhaled or contaminate surfaces?

3 Likes

They probably donā€™t understand how selfish that is - itā€™s not about catching the virus themselves but about not transmitting it on to another 2.3 people (average transmission rate) - and if they regularly go to bingo or other such activity they could easily infect another 5 or more people.

2 Likes

I donā€™t disagree with you but I canā€™t tie her to her bed. My sister is stilling trying to talk some common sense into her.

1 Like

Gargling salt water is an actively bad idea: it will have no benefit, and if you already have the virus it will increase the aerosolisation.

1 Like

Quite so. Gargling salty water was supposed to help with bacterial infections, not viral ones.
Best

David

1 Like

Will pass the views on to those concerned ā€¦

The latter a good word for the mindset of those panic buying toilet roll.

G

2 Likes

I think Aero-solarisation may be betterā€¦ in either of two meanings.

1 For those who (oddly) do understand halide photography:
Air-heads who understand the tone of a discussion only so far, and then get the tone all backwards.

2 For others:
Those who leave their chocolate bar out in the sun until it melts!

:rofl:

6 Likes

Just been told to self-isolate for 7 days by my London GP, having various CV like symptoms. I see BJ is now telling me it should be 14 days. As soon as my GP heard I flew back from Spain last Friday that was it, my fate was decided. Thatā€™s fine by me, even if there is a 1% chance I have CV itā€™s not worth the risk of me going out and possibly passing it on to someone vulnerable. The panic buying and stories of people stealing hand sanitiser from hospitals are really beyond the pale. Love and best wishes to all, stay safe and healthy and look after each other xx

2 Likes

Take care and please keep us updated @badger1963

G

Thanks Graeme, will do. Itā€™s really not as dramatic as it sounds. Working from home and driving my wife potty.

Thatā€™s fine - but the point is not simply to prevent yourself from getting it, but to prevent others by spreading it.