Shelf Isolation

Home may just about be the safest place, take care best of luck.

You too!

1 Like

I work from home, but attend lots of meetings. Yesterday I had a meeting at Council, someone shook my hand then offered me a wipe! That particular office is the last place you want to be if bugs are going around, they regularly get hit by colds and flus running through the staff like wildfire.

Here in NZ, the advice is really a bit confusing. Social distancing, but go to work and school. At last we donā€™t have a community outbreak, or at least not any that we know about.

Will need to start business contingency planning, as I think meeting will be out soon, which will impact my work level.

1 Like

Youā€™ll happy to hear that my sister talked my mother into staying home, she also got a phone call from her doctor asking her to as well.

2 Likes

You havenā€™t met my mum! She survived the Hong Kong flu epidemic of 1969, Iā€™ll have you know :face_with_head_bandage:

1.4M with specific circumstances to self-isolate for 12 weeks and be contacted by NHS apparently.

G

Probably true but as @Xanthe said itā€™s others she puts at risk. Iā€™m enjoying my isolation even though Iā€™ve been given an all clear.

1 Like

What is self isolation, exactly? I.e. what degree if isolation is required? Some very real questions arise, that will apply variously to some people depending on their individual circumstances. If anyone can offer good answers to any, please do (and identify and answers with an authoritative basis, identifying where it comes from):

1. How do you get food if you have no delivery facilities? (Wear mask and gloves and go to shop ? - what if you donā€™t have any?)

2. How do you receive deliveries if you live in a flat/apartment with shared external access/corridor/stairs etc? (Go to front door yourself? ā€“ Wearing mask and gloves: but what if you donā€™t have any? Or ask a neighbour to receive for you and put it by your front door? Asking a neighbour to receive for you and put it by your own door might be good if possible, but what if delivery has to be when they are out?)

3. What if you live in accommodation with shared kitchen facilities (maybe shared entrance and lounge, but avoidance of those may be easier): Do all other occupants sharing the kitchen have to self isolate, or can use of the kitchen at separate times and with cleaning of everything after use be adequate?

4. What if you are away when a self isolation audit is introduced affecting you when you return, flying into an airport without personal transport to get you home, options being taxi, bus, or getting someone from a different household to pick you up in their vehicle? How do you manage self isolation in that confined space without the other person or persons necessarily sharing it I think then to self isolate? (I know someone in just this position who has contacted me to ask.)

Basically, self isolation is not quarantine. I posted a bit about itā€™s not working in NZ on the Corona thread.

The answer to all those questions/scenarios is: no one knows. Weā€™re making it up as we go along.

I guess at the moment we have to use common sense, honesty, and try to re-introduce community spirit.

Not based on anything authoritative, I just made it up.

2 Likes

Mrs Pete and I are currently in self isolation. We walk the dog in morning and in the afternoon and do not stand too close to any one we meet on those walks (we often bump into friends etc). We also carry hand sanitizer with us and use if we think we might touch something that others may afterwards. My wife has done enough shopping to last us for almost 2 weeks (without panicking) and I have enough beer and wine to last for 2 weeks (very important)

We wonā€™t be seeing any of our kids, grandkids, family or friends. I wonā€™t be having face to face meetings with clients, suppliers, staff or our contractors.

So Iā€™ll work from home, doing some gardening, watch some tv and of course listen to some music. Mrs Pete will also do some knitting and knowing her some internet shopping.

Thatā€™s basically how we are approaching self isolation. Itā€™s not the end of the earth.

5 Likes

Life goes on, so :+1:

5 Likes

Weā€™re adopting a similar approach here in deepest Cornwall! Iā€™m 4 weeks post op (2nd hip replacement) so staying at home really no big deal for me. Weā€™ve just cancelled two planned trips to France, but left two self catering UK holidays in place for time being. Interestingly, my wifeā€™s cousin who has lived in WA for 40 years is flying to the UK tomorrow for a 6 month, long planned visit. He (and his grand daughter) will be staying with us for first 2 weeks of April, provided they are symptom free. I foresee much Scrabble and other board games being played. I imagine there are some folk on here will disagree with our plans, but there are limits to the extent I will allow this situation to affect life. Itā€™s probably riskier doing the weekly shop at Tesco.

3 Likes

Itā€™s 7 days if you live alone but 14 if there are any other people in the household, so as to allow that they might catch it and pass it on.
Best

David

1 Like

Yes it has too, as mentioned earlier weā€™ve been living in crisis since November last year. We need to get ourselves together and get on with it. Weā€™ll end with generation of depressed kids.

1 Like

I do hope we find out soon whether camping will be allowed. We have a trip booked for a couple of weeks time on a Camping and Caravanning Club site. Maybe weā€™ll be in the caravan on the front drive.

Iā€™m not in self isolation, but as I am able to work from home and it is very likely that I will be increasing this. One issue on the horizon is the firmā€™s VPN network, I doubt if it is designed to operate with a large proportion of staff using it simultaneously. I know that some companies have already tested there systems by organising a work from home day to test how their systems hold up. I am fairly sure we have not done this, we shall see. I may have to resort to gardening soon!

1 Like

We have yet to decide what to do about a week self-catering in Cornwall in May. The cottage is quite remote but there are a couple of others nearby there too including one family that is resident. Mostly normally we do long walks, which is obviously still ok, and go to good restaurants, which isnā€™t going to be ok. Have to see how the situation develops up to the point where I have to pay the balance on the rentalā€¦

Best

David

I checked the Caravan Club site the other day to see if they were taking any action, none other than repeating government advice so far. Camping in the UK in your own van must be a reasonably safe way of holidaying.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping, and there is of course the six metre rule at Club sites. Itā€™s only the wash blocks that are a potential issue but thatā€™s simple to deal with.