Should I put my spikes in?

Hi Martin. Floor is engineered wood it’s level and poured concrete. speakers (Dynaudio Heritage Special’s on Dynaudio Stand 20 w adapter plates attached) also in a rented apartment or flat, so I really can’t do anything that’s going to damage the floor. I think I’ll give the Herbies devices a try.

4 Likes

I use Herbie’s Giant Gliders under my speakers and HiFi rack and they sound great and moving the equipment on the rug is done without much effort.

3 Likes

My Wilsons came with heavy duty spikes and floor discs - great when properly installed but a bit fiddly to adjust or when repositioning the speakers. I’ve replaced them with Stack Auva feet, which are similar in nature to Isoacoustics but feel better made. They’re just as solid as the spikes or more so and make repositioning as easy as moving very heavy furniture can be.

1 Like

What impact did the Auvas have on your system?

1 Like

No fundamental changes, the speakers were well placed and in a good acoustic to begin with. The auva’s brought a bit of ease and control.

1 Like

For a while I had spikes on stone plates, which sat on the carpet. I’m not sure why, I just thought the stone plates should help with the sound.

In reality, the stone plates were floating on the carpet and not grounded to the wooden floorboards.

I thought the sound was nice. It had a lot of midrange detail.

I then removed the plates and grounded the spikes into the floor.

Wow what a difference! It just brought the whole sound together, bass, midrange and treble. Sure, I might have lost a bit of detail, but the everything sounded a lot more coherent and enjoyable.

1 Like

Graham LS3/5 currently sitting on cobbled-together speedframe lean-to ‘stands’. The plastic connectors seem to make pretty effective lossy joints - no ringing. I should maybe find some ‘proper’ stands, but…

Anyone else ever tried speedframe as a speaker stand?

No, can you share a picture… am intrigued…

Small room ‘temporary’ lash-up… :wink:

:grinning: looks interesting - no I have not used supports like that - I trust they sound good?

Well @bitsrbits , did you decide to fit the spikes?

Yes, definitely going for spikes. It’s on the list of projects for this weekend.

1 Like

On the subject of spikes, my kudos 606 sit on the supplied track audio spikes with cups. The floor is concrete and the covering is vinyl tiling similar to Karndean. This solution obviously couples the speakers to the floor but I often wonder would isolation be better.

I don’t have any performance issues that I am trying to resolve, rather a curiosity as to what difference the isolation may make.

I would only be interested in foot style solutions rather than the Townshend solutions that extend beyond the base of the speakers.

As far as I can tell my options would be AUVA 70, Isoacoustics Gaia ii or Track audio isolation feet and shoes. I believe all of them cost around £800 - £1,000.

Before going to the hassle of trialling any, what are people’s findings particularly with Kudos 606?

I had some long discussions with Kudos and my Dealer about changing the spikes on my 606s.

In the end kept the existing Track Audio spikes as they advised after many experiments with different feet, the ones as fitted came out the best.

With my set up, the spikes go through the carpet and underlay and into the concrete floor below. Previously, we had carpet tiles with a hard backing and the spikes worked well with them also. If you moved the speaker, you couldn’t really see any mark on the carpet tile unless you tried really hard.

A couple of questions;

• Do you have any spare flooring that you could test the spikes with over the concrete floor to see if it would leave any marks?
  • What make of cups are you using?

DG…

The spikes do damage the tiles - I have tried this before. The cups are track audio cups.

1 Like

Seems to work. The speakers do everything I want at the moment. Could the setup be improved? Probably…

The speedframe was scrapped from work 40 years ago; I used it in lean-to mode for some Linn Kans where bracing against the wall seemed a good idea. The bits were in the garage for the last 35 years before being reconfigured slightly to keep the LS3/5’s off the floor.

I thought about building freestanding speedframe stands for the living room, but opted for Custom Design open frame stands instead. Which ended up with a sandbag on the lower crossmembers to damp the resonance… :roll_eyes:

I remember years ago it was the thing to lean to with a bog roll tube behind linn Sara’s for a while. :thinking:

I’ve heard that too since - but not at the time, so wonder if it’s apocryphal…

However - if you used a right-angle Cannon (XLR) plug and wedged it against the wall, it gave the correct wall-to-cabinet spacing. Allegedly…

1 Like

I can’t speak to the 606, but I do have Kudos T505 and replaced the stock spikes with Stack Audio Auva 100. The biggest change I noticed was a very clear uplift in soundstage as well as detail. It was not subtle at all.

Note this is on carpet that sits on top of concrete.

2 Likes

So on carpet I assume you have spikes on the bottom of the AUVAs. I can’t use spikes on the vinyl finish so I assume my experience would be different to yours.