Show us what's inside

Marantz CD4000

I think that a number of the later pictures demonstrate the art of making it on a custom chip.

Neat trick if you can afford it.

I’m guessing the important bit is hiding under that heat sink.

The DAC, which is also a reference-level headphone amplifier and ‘digital preamp’, distils twenty years of Chord research, development and advanced engineering into one device. At its heart lies a new version of the advanced Spartan 6 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) with 1,000x the processing power of the traditional mass-produced chip DAC. DAVE’s FPGA is loaded with over a million lines of code to confront complex timing issues head-on, with speed and precision.

If you mean the ones on the round glass display, I suspect they secure the glass window to the top aluminum cover.

May be, but still not much inside, especially compared to say the DCS dac/streamer

Rossini dac / streamer

3 Likes

I mean the ‘corner’ ones @NO-QUARTER. Have edited to make it clearer. They are on the top-plate ‘for effect’ by the looks of it.

G

Oh, ok but I am counting five per side, not four.:thinking:
Top and bottom…or left and right?:upside_down_face:

I see what you mean @GraemeH. There are more than places to accept them on the inside shot. Most perculiar.

1 Like

That display grates every time I see it. DAVE is a digital engineering tour de force, but the display looks like something from a child’s toy, not helped by the graphics used. Otherwise a lovely piece of kit.

3 Likes

This is what I was getting at @NO-QUARTER…And ‘Fake screws’ is brilliant @AllanP. I hope were not straying in to the ‘P’ word though!

G

Not my Nait 2 but the Nait deserves a mention on this thread

The electronics in the Nait is probably all you need, its a lovely amp.

7 Likes

Lovely bit of kit. Looks like this one sports an IEC socket rather than the standard captive mains lead. Oh to find a mint Olive Nait 2 :grinning:

1 Like

Nice piece of kit. All serviceable. Doubt there is anything obsolete in that box.

2 Likes

Darran at Class A sprinkled magic on my Nait 2 CB a few months back sounds wonderful and good for another 15 years.

1 Like

Lovely. I have a mint Nait 1 but I’d like an Olive Nait 2 too (and a Nytech CTA252/XDII). Something just right about the vintage kit :sunglasses:

1 Like

Fair point James. I’m not a fan of that screen either, despite owning one…
Thank goodness it goes dark/black within seconds of being left, so we don’t have to experience the screen very often.

I wish the same could be said for the luminous baubles on the front of the M Scaler :disappointed:. They have 2 settings: bright or livid bright.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

You could frame that one!

1 Like

I like the idea that JV may have had his finger tips in my Nait and maybe his DNA is still present if not the JV amp DNA is definitely there :wink:

1 Like

1 Like