Show us what's inside

my nap250 - nac62 - hicap

6 Likes

They couldn’t even spend time to fit the graphics from a square screen into a round shape. Lazy.

Another largely empty box…

Technics Cassette deck RS-B555

Measures 17 inches width, 11 inches deep and 5 inches high … fill of air

Here are some other internals that I have had myself at one time or another…

Leak Troughline

Leak Stereofetic

LeakStereo70

Leak Delta 70

Old school point to point next …

Akai 1710 underside

Akai 1710 topside

2 Likes

Wow Akai 1710 stereo tape deck from the 1960s. Looks like in good condition! Scary with all the tubes, rubber bands, wheels and fan.

Well if price is an indicator, then that beauty is around 11k more than the dave.

1 Like

Audiolab 8000A. Recognised it from the middle heatsink and round toroidal transformer before noticing the name on the pcb. :+1:

David,

Indeed, and well regarded at the time, with “tube” sounding appeal.
A throwout find that was going to be a project, but I moved it on as the heads were a bit worn.
I am pleased to sort the mechanics, and this example was working well after some work, but the electronics were (are) a bit beyond my expertise, which is limited to basic assembly work and failed component replacement, (inspite of my misplaced intentions…)

Thanks for the interest…

Mine still sits proudly inside the entertaiment unit albeit not hooked up to speakers right now. Still works perfectly and in excellent condition. A fantastic piece of British engineering. :+1:

On the front it says Camtech, I think because at the time there already was Audiolab hifi brand in the Netherlands.

David

just a ps to my message to you: is the referenced website on your profile your own website? Just interested as some of the information in your profile resonated with my own experience, and I was interested to explore.

I am afraid it is not my own website. I just followed that recipe and built it years ago and loved what it achieved sonically.

Had quite some fun building different kinds of cables for live productions - power, speaker, signal, mic, long runs, short runs that must resist interference running along power and other cables. Learning how to mix sound and mic instruments like drums.

With experience from many live performances and behind the sound-desk, it really added a different dimension to my appreciation of music and what hifi means.

It does seem a bit of an oversight given the the overall quality of the design and the flawless fit and finish - the black one I had on demo looked fantastic. As Bluesfan notes at least the display goes off. Display funnies aside, at least it shows all the key parameters clearly without needing to refer to the colour chart in the manual.

Another view of Chord’s Dave DAC.

Wonder why they didn’t do an external power supply, rather than shoe-horn a PSU into DAVE.

Chord have always used switching supplies in their products so have plenty of experience in getting the best out of this type of supply. It’s efficient and small so easily shoe horned into the DAVE chassis. I’m sure somewhere out there some audiophile will have ripped out the standard supply and substituted it for an external linear one…

Having seen @Mike-B’s photo of his Galaxie aerial inside his loft space, I thought I’d post a photo of mine. This is a G-17, suspended on nylon cord in vertical orientation to receive the vertically polarised signal from my nearest BBC transmitter. When this was on the roof in my previous house, a further three elements were added, converting it to a G-20, in an effort to receive the signal from the Wenvoe transmitter. Unfortunately, where I currently live I wouldn’t be allowed to have a G-20 on the roof. Fortunately, however, I can just fit the G-17 in the loft space and still get a strong signal.

And here are the three elements removed to make it fit.

Sorry about the picture quality - there’s not much light up there. Nor space, owing to all the Naim (White) boxes!

4 Likes

Things were so much simpler then…

9 Likes

How did you manage to keep the crocodile still long enough to put parts of an old turntable on it ?

2 Likes

With great difficulty!:sunglasses: