Show us what's inside

Did you have anything to do with it, Darran? It seems it was professionally done!:wink:

They seem to show double stacked boards, not sure from the images I have seen whether one of these are pcbs? Certainly most manufacturers like pcbs not least because of ease of build, but also for the consistency it offers.

I have certainly built valve based projects with small component count using component leads through drilled tufnol boards as ‘tracks’ between components.

I agree. It looks like it wasn’t oriented correctly before they tightened it down. That caused the crease in the cap. Probably not good for the cap.

The Felsic caps are shaped like that as manufactured.

4 Likes

Capacitor Manhattan!

Yes, but look at the second cap from the top. Maybe it’s the lighting, but it looks creased. The cap is not oriented the same way as the top one. Also the brackets are too close together. It doesn’t look right in that pic.

Still got ours: 200, 263, 204, 201

Project for next year is to get them apart & cleaned up. The stack was the unfortunate recipient of a wayward cat (Zebedee of course) who stood on the near-by M2 and sprayed liberally…some of the buttons are “somewhat sticky”!

6 Likes

They are closer together so that they fit in the gaps between the clamps on the other one - so the caps can be closer together. In what way is the orientation different?

We had a cat, Cindy Clawfoot who would spray on my stack every time we left the house. I cut a large carton and positioned it around the stack every time we went out so the cat decided it would be a good idea to jump on top and vomit on the cd player. We no longer have that particular cat and no I didn’t kill it but certainly felt like it.

2 Likes

Eventually we got a door for that particular bit of shelving (IKEA Bonde). I’ll have to get them all apart and clean up the switches and front panels, the latter very carefully as the screen printing on the glass frontages has a tendency to come off!

I would suggest doing the clean asap, cat pee is very corrosive and manages to seep in to all sorts of places you wouldn’t expect. Best of luck.

I have one of the 209 Remotes as well.
How ahead of the market they were.

The top cap has the edge of its formed edge in line with the end of the bracket. The bottom one looks to be rotated about 20 degrees.

It is not creased, that is how they are manufactured…

1 Like

I think that is more to do with the manufacture of the caps, and is quite irrelevant to its performance. The can will be formed first, including the dimples, then the contents added. It is a matter of luck what orientation the dimples have compared with the terminals. It looks to me that the terminals of the cap are all lined up nicely.

1 Like

Thanks. Thats answered that!

I cleaned up a lot when it was first done (plain water &cotton buds) but you are right, I do need to get inside the boxes and do a proper job.

Amusingly, and I didn’t notice this morning when I took the photo, the culprit can be seen reflected in the 263!

I had a similar thing with our cat. I have a cover for my TT and took it off to use, unbeknown to me she had a wee on cover and when I put the cover back on … result was it running down black boxes and fraim. I quickly cleaned it as best I could but even months later I still get a whiff :frowning:

Another cat disaster for me was when I had my TT by a window with a venetian blind keeping the sun off it the cat attempted to exit through the window and managed to open the blind letting the sun in to destroy my Neil Young Time Fades Away album. The upside was making the damaged album into a clock.

1 Like

Lol, I was just imagining an Audi TT rolling through the window after the cat had released the handbrake before I twigged tt.