Show us your ATCs

Love them !!

1 Like

Carpet fitted yesterday so just waiting for underlay and glue to settle before I spike the SCM 40s.

Love them in white…

25 Likes

Can’t disagree with your choice there :+1:

2 Likes

Getting mine delivered and set up by @audiobarn Thursday! They look great. And sound even better!

1 Like

They’ll be worth the wait !

1 Like

The kintsuge repaired pot acts as a special hyperdimensional sound treatment for my active SCM 40s.

13 Likes

All looks very smart, nice job.

1 Like

I’ve shown this pic before but thought I should take part as I do think they are ‘special’ speakers…

30 Likes

My active 50s

17 Likes

Very nice. Have you compared them to the SCM40 actives at all? I’m saving up to replace my 40’s with either 40A’s or the 20ASLT’s like yours.

When it comes to looks, desirability, pedigree, history and so on, you’re 20’s win by a country mile. But the price difference is quite substantial and the mid range driver on the 40’s is a bit of a draw…but then again all the drivers in your 20’s are of the higher tier spec. And the cabinets of the 20’s are better I suspect.

Of course I will demo when I finally have the money, but the question as to which is best, seems to confound the dealers I have spoken to. And even ATC have given me two very different answers about this. Curious if you have any thoughts about this…you lucky thing! :grin:

This very issue has been discussed on another hifi forum. A quick Google search should find it.

In summary, the conclusion seemed to be that there was no conclusion, at least on SQ grounds. Some preferred the 40s, largely because the bass goes deeper, others went for the 20s because the bass was faster. Some preferred 3-way, others 2-way. And so it goes …

One of these days, I’ll see if I can arrange an audition to compare them.

Roger

4 Likes

Roger, what would happen to me when I would use that approach is that I end up with both the 40’s and the 20’s.

1 Like

I did the same, ending up with 50s and 20s, both active )

3 Likes

4 Likes

6 Likes

Do you listen at a level of 60/70 dB or below, (8-9 on the volume dial) with the Active 20?

Yes no problem - they can handle any volume when active

1 Like

It’s interesting, because in all the audio reviews, both online and in magazines, I read that ATC reach their full potential, at levels of 80/85 dB and above…

Ha! 20’s and 50’s. And both active. very nice @Tesilk. Your 50 actives. Classic or tower?

Likewise @PeakMan. It’s the only way I think.

I was at the North West Audio show and the guy at ATC simply said that most people go for the 20a’s when they compare them in their homes with the 40A - that’s all he was prepared to say. But it was admittedly right at the end of the day and he had more pressing duties to tend to.

Interestingly, I phoned ATC last year, and the helpful designer that took my call, said that the value for money quotient makes the 40A a better buy - he sort of suggested that that is the one to go for. A demo is definitely called for…