Show us your camera

OK, time for me to replace my 8 year old PC. For the most part i.e. everyday use, it’s more than absolutely fine but it’s not as strong/pacey in Lightroom these days as I’d like it to be.

I’ve had a look online and their are several PC builders offering choices with varying specs. Then there’s the Mac mini/studio option but prices come in in similar or much more depending on spec.

Anyone here somewhere between very happy and ecstatic with their at least relatively recently purchased PC for photo editing purposes?

1 Like

Do you consider upgrade rather than new pc box…

For me a cheaper option was I changed the motherboard, with another faster processor, second hand, moved the drives, and the memory over, making sure it was compatible, and took the opportunity to change the os from windows 7 to windows 10, which was a pain as the win10 is so much harder to configure exactly how I want everything to work. Win10 takes too many decisions for me. Also had some trouble getting my old software to work on win10, sometimes just making sure admin rights applied.

However, really this does not make as much a difference as I expected, the ram was already 32Gb and an i5, so really all that changed was i5 to i7 and the retrograde step to win10, I did not notice much speed advantage. I would not have done anything except I had a good deal on the motherboard and processor.

Much like my hifi, - and camera, I work in the dark ages and resist change.

However now I am on the digital camera pathway!!

I have, but frankly I can’t be arsed! And am not super 100% confident about doing so…

Would rather just pay someone to do it for me.

1 Like

Could simply be down to the operating system hard drive getting close to full.

I swapped a slow running 125gb SSD at approx 80% full for 500gb SSD, the increase in speed was unbelievable.

2 Likes

Good Suggestion. My Windows 11 PC’s SSD is at (only) around 25% full.

This PC was bought pre-loved, refurbed on eBay.
About half the price of a new, custom build of similar spec.

1 Like

My 10 year old self build PC is above the recommend spec. Apart from the GPU, which is built into the CPU.

There is no lag at all when using DXO 3, although saving to file takes about 10 seconds. But it seems like longer. :blush:

I have a Mac Mini (Summer 2022) running Lightroom, maxed out on RAM 16GB and a 1tb SSD, it quite happily runs Lightroom using files from my Nikon Z7, and copes perfectly well with mergers and panorama’s.

Previously I ran everything from a 2014 Mac Book Pro but it was struggling to cope with the bigger files, it is still in use but only for basic stuff, anything that is graphics intensive brings it to a halt. But at 10 years old that is pretty good for a computer.

Some 10+ years old now but not found a need to change, batteries could do with replacing again, not as quiet and slick as the later models and low light performance mediocre compared to later CMOS sensors, but they take great pictures. I have a heap of lenses from 50mm and down

16 Likes

You were right Jamie, I recently subscribed and the difference is very noticeable.

Love the ‘Texture’ slider… :grin: Wasn’t on LR5 but it is excellent, as long as you don’t overdo it (same with most of the sliders).

1 Like

I like the view with 21mm, and in fact have the 21mm R and 180mm R as my lenses for my old film camera, and shame to admit not used for over a decade or so…

Never went over to the M digital like yours, and now quite priced out of any move to M cameras.

If only I had kept the old M film stuff (I have had some quite nice old items many years age, and all sold ages ago)…

My life seems full of “If only…” moments … - just a bad day thinking…

2 Likes

I love the 21mm lens and a huge fan of the 35mm summicron Mk4 , just lovely. I miss my 75mm Summilux every now and then but have ended up with 10 lenses under 50mm. 21mm very much a go to lens for me. I also really like the 28mm Summicron which is amazing in terms of resolution

I’d never sell my 35 Summaron which is fabulous as well

4 Likes

Thanks, the 21mm R was most used once I had found a rather battered second hand version, and along with the 180mm R, was all I used. I never had a 50mm, and the 90mm R I used about a dozen times. Still have the 21 and 180, and an R but not used for many years

I had a 35mm 1.4 Summilux with the “goggles” viewfinder aids for the M3 which was probably always on the camera, though I had the 135mm on a screw to M adapter I used for some motorcycle and car racing pictures. The M3 and 35mm were sold in the 1980’s I guess, for next to nothing, and if kept to this day could be sold for silly money.

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to stumble across a 35mm sumilux double A about 10 years ago after discussing how rare it was with the shop I asked out of curiosity how much it was, my jaw dropped it was £1700. He had no clue what it was, worth a lot of dosh today but I LOVE it ! So it’s a keeper :grimacing:

3 Likes

Try looking a Chillblast computers
Assembled in UK and tweaked for photography or gaming or office work etc etc

1 Like

I use a Mac and LR is fast enough on a modern Mac ?

1 Like

My new camera , I went to Fuji last year, some really good photos and vibrant colours , but there were aspects that I found difficult , this lovely new Canon 6 d Mk11, was bought because it wasn’t mirrorless and I find it much easier to see thru’ the viewfinder.

6 Likes

And have now bought a Canon 6D Mk11, lovely viewfinder , I wonder how much my cataract interfered with the vision in the Fuji

Good for you Ian, I hope the new Canon works out for you. Canon seem to offering good deals until the end of the first week in August and I could be tempted by the R6 Mk2…

Best,
C.

1 Like

My new Canon arrived earlier, I have gone back to DSLR , looking at the clarity through the Fuji viewfinder when I couldn’t see a blessed thing was the reason for change. I have a cataract and that could be a factor

Ask think I might have said elsewhere Fuji produced some of the sharpest , most vibrant photos but the handing was not good
Yesterday I found a 50 mm 2.5 Macro lens which should help me get some decent flower photographs

1 Like

Amateurs will be flocking to spend their money and very few will ever know how to use it :joy:

A close friend is the Canon trainer for R3. It takes him 2 days to train a professional sports photographer; someone who uses cameras all day every day, to use an R3 correctly. The R1 will be fun.

2 Likes