Show us your camera

Which Lightroom? LR Desktop is insanely fast on all M Macs. Classic is plenty fast enough (but the architecture is too old to be very fast on any platform). I use both versions constantly on an M1 Pro and it will last another couple of years before change.

1 Like

Lightroom has improved immeasurably over the last 12 months, on all platforms. Masking is superb, ditto AI remove. DeNoise has totally obsoleted both Topaz and DxO.

2 Likes

Had the camera for 18 months, bought pre-loved at a ridiculously good price, it was a professional photographers ‘spare’ camera, it had 1932 clicks when I received it and was in absolutely mint condition.

Collected the lens today for considerably less than half retail price, came boxed with everything including instructions in a million different languages, the lens doesn’t appear to have been used, if it has it is very very light use.

There are some stunning bargains out there in the old DSLR world, apparently there seems to be some misnomer that old tech can’t take images now the new Mirrorless systems have arrived. Which is great for those hunting a bargain.

7 Likes

Wex is very good as a 1 year warranty

Same in HiFi… Naim OC is rubbish… now NC is here… :crazy_face:

Interested to know which 24-? 2.8 that lens is please, I cannot quite see the gold lettering clearly, and to me the zoom ring looks too short for the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8E AF-S VR Lens but maybe your picture is fore-shortening the lens.

Also is the hot shoe cover something non standard?

Your D6 is quite the professional Nikon DSLR, (suits your ex-pro status!), even at a “… ridiculously good price…” still quite an outlay. I agree, the rush to mirrorless does indeed supply the second-hand market with cheapish cameras. For me, the change to the Z series is not much advantage apart from a slight weight advantage. The Nikon Z need the Z series lenses to avoid the clumsy adapter, although there are some small improvements in the Z lenses.

Like all developments, the latest is always touted as the best, and as I am still using NAC62, NAP140 and HiCap, you will realise I am content with old tech, and reluctant to change. (Same with my computers…another story).

1 Like

Bought as a university present in 1981 I think?

10 Likes

As a NC owner I have to agree that the OC range is totally obsolete, OC kit should be sold at knockdown prices or given away, the NC kit is so so so much better, the sound just flows out of the speakers making the OC sound rough and harsh.

Yeah, that’s a load of old ballocks, the OC and its predecessors sound just fine and are happily producing a sound that people love.

The newest is always touted as the best, for some it is, for others it isn’t, as long as people are happy with what they have that is all that matters.

1 Like

My ‘legendary’ Ricoh GR1

11 Likes

I always love how Canon time the release of their flagship camera for the Olympics!

You have the lens spot on

Standard hot shoe cover for a D5

Any camera is a big outlay no doubt about that, in my defence at the time I bought mine the camera was being sold s/h for around £2700 for a very good condition model with around 80k shutter actuations, one in excellent condition and less than 40k shutter actuations were selling for around £3k, mine cost me £1700. It is in mint condition, only 1932 shutter actuations, included a spare battery, boxed, with all original packaging and accessories.

Yes, I paid a fair bit but for what I paid I have a pro spec camera that should last me for many many years. The AF is stunning and knocks my Z7 out of the park, if I’m out shooting landscapes the D5 stays at home and the Z7 comes with me but for just wandering around the D5 is brilliant.

After years of shooting junior football and athletics for local clubs and leagues my kids grew up and stopped going so my need to be there waned so I ditched the heavy DSLR system and went Fuji when the XPro1 was launched.

The XP1 was a great little camera with some very good lenses but after the novelty wore my ‘need’ for a DSLR kept nibbling away at me so I bought back in, that went when the Z system was launched but I had to keep my F lenses as Nikon wasn’t quick bringing out Z lenses, the FTZ is horrible, I have a very nice 16-35/f4 when on the FTZ it looks like a telephoto lens on the Z7.

With a selection of F mount lenses still in the house I thought why not add a DSLR, so a D810 was picked up rather cheaply to test the idea and that was replaced with the D5 last year. I see the D5 is still priced around £1500 for an average model, well used versions are around £1100 the best I’ve seen recently was a very good one with 85k shutter actuations at £1800 so overall I think my D5 was an absolute bargain.

There is no doubt that Mirrorless is here to stay, it is the future and the DSLR’s will disappear in time but atm I’m happy having a good mix of both styles.

1 Like

Over the years both Nikon and Canon have used Olympic Games and World Cups for major launches, cameras or lenses or both. I don’t follow Sony but guess that they will do the same.

Canon have the R1 which will get seen by many, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few taped up hotly rumoured Canon R5ii and maybe Nikon Z9ii in selected Professional Photographers hands, watch closely as the TV cameras pan round the stadiums, the Nikon Z6iii will be on show as well.

It is always good playing the what kit are they using game at these events.

4 Likes

Nice camera, I had an A1 with the same lens, the whole kit got soaked at the Belgian GP, whilst the camera dried out very quickly the lens never really dried out fully and would often mist up for no apparent reason. I ended up buying a second copy and then p/x’ing the original for a wide angle lens.

I must apologise to the poor beggar who bought that old 70-210. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

You got an exceptional deal on the D5 (sorry I typo’d it as D6) and as you said deals are out there to be had, but maybe takes some looking and some luck. I sold all my Nikon DX intending to find a nice FX (always encouraged by my work colleague, Canon FX, who said I would not regret it). Well time moves on and I am at the ‘last camera I will ever buy’ stage but on only oap fund status (another story for another time) so perhaps the move to mirrorless by the rest of the world will reveal a nice FX body, though not the pro range, I do not need the speed or the weight and bulk, I am getting too old to manage. Perhaps a nice cheap 850 or 780 to take advantage of the last and most developed of the Nikon DSLR’s.

My comment about the hot shoe cover is that it looks ‘fat’ and seems to have more depth.

Thanks for the reply anyway. I enjoy reading any camera stories, and hearing how other folk work, and see the world.

2 Likes

Had a 1V, and enjoyed it. Cant remember the difference between it and the 1s.

1 Like

Me neither. Didn’t look into it. Bought the GR1s (used) and really happy with it. Most of my stuff is on my Canons but this is such a pleasure to use, especially at times like now when I’m on hols and I don’t want to lug big glass around etc.

Come on admit it, you’re gobsmacked I’ve still got the lenshood!

1 Like

Lenshood is a bonus !

Still got my 1v brochure from 2001. Take a look and see what the 1s has or hasnt got over the 1v !!

And while ive got the out, a dynax 7000i from 1988 and 700si from 1993 pair of Minolta brochures.Classic cameras that have long gone

3 Likes

Thanks about hood!

Looks like 1s is the same, apart from that the 1v gives the option to print the date on the neg.

Either way, a lovely proper camera with a good lens and I like the white line viewfinder.

My first “proper” SLR back in the mid 1980s was a Minolta (an X-570/500). Wish I still had it…

2 Likes