Show us your camera

You don’t have to defend your choice to me, I’d love one!

3 Likes

Nice collection of Russian cameras you have there. Having boxes is a bonus, they must be hard to find.

I’ve only managed to dig out a couple of Zenit so far. Both plastic bodies (but very strong looking). The ET has a very unusual lens.

5 Likes

Olympus OM4Ti

I actually sold mine last year but did use it for half a dozen B&W films. Best looking camera ever imo. I currently have an OMD em5 Mkii. Best looking digital camera ever :wink:

17 Likes

They are beautiful cameras to use and I never really appreciated how good they were until I tried one out. But they’re not for everyone… same as vinyl is not for everyone.

A lot of people just want to take a photo and go rather than being connected to the process that the M demands… and that’s great, and it’s also why the iPhone Pro is such a good camera! I love using them as well.

As @charlesphoto mentioned, you get pickup M10-R with a reasonable reduction now and buying pre-loved lenses from Leica dealers will also save you a lot

5 Likes

Olympus made some lovely SLRs, with great optics, but their compactness made them feel too small for anyone used to a Canon or Nikon.

2 Likes

Another Olympus.

Olympus OMs are same size as the Pentax ME, and most later cameras. I would have thought a more compact camera would be more popular, a major selling point. To me, the smaller body, relative to the size of the lens is more aesthetically pleasing.

I buy all of my cameras at auctions. If I spot a camera that I don’t own, in near mint condition, I quite often bid on it.

An interesting thing I’ve noticed is, it’s rare to find an Olympus camera/lens that isn’t in at least in excellent cosmetic condition, and working.
Pentax are different, the majority are in a worn condition and quite often not working.

10 Likes

I do love the look and feel of those old classics - that OM10 of @Fatcat’s is gorgeous! Wifey had a Pentax ME - a lovely small SLR.

Which, I suppose, is why I’ve held on to my A1 & Vivitar Series 1 zooms, even though I know that my 5D4 knocks it into a cocked hat performance-wise.

Guess I’m really just a boring old fart! Probably should change my family name to Ludd!

2 Likes

A few vintage camera’s don’t take up much space.

I’ve got six 16mm projectors, six 8mm projectors and two 9.5mm projectors. Three 35mm slide projectors, one medium format projector and one lantern slide projector. Plus a load of film and slides. :blush:

ANALOGUE RULES.

2 Likes

I have an identical one since '87 still with originale box. I did some pics at Milan Audio Fair including Fluted LP 12 in black and nac 52 prototype. I want to sell It now but can’t even fetch 40/50 euro

1 Like

I suppose there are two ways of looking at that.

On one hand, not good news for the seller, on the other hand, good news for the buyer.

The OM10 was the first SLR I bought. I preferred it to my parents OM30 not least due to the fact it didn’t eat batteries. I added a motor winder and stuck a big Vivitar 70-210 on it. I loved it. Then I moved to the dark side with a selection of Minolta film then digital. Back in the fold now though :blush:

1 Like

A Petri Flex, well built camera from the 60s. Still working perfectly.

7 Likes

Oh dear, I’m feeling inadequate in this world of collectors!

Other than the three cameras mentioned in my earlier post I have had 6 cameras over the years:

My first camera was a Zeiss Ikon folding camera back in mid 1960s, taking 22 shots on 220 rollfilm. I snapped a delightful pic of Ritchie Blackmore at a Deep Purple gig in about 1969 or early 1970, playing a Gibson, using Royal-X Pan b&w film - 1250 ASA - that I push processed by 1 or 2 stops (too long ago to remember which). Really grainy, it had such a wonderful moody appearance that, I was to learn, really suited Ritchie’s personality. Sadly the photo has long since been lost. I sold the camera some years ago, but it was like this, except the lens max aperture was f/6.3.

Then yearning after an SLR I got a Praktica PLC3 in mid 1970s - similar to the ubiquitous MTL, but with electric lens setting communication (though I only had the stock 50mm lens with electric capability. The other couple of lenses I had were plain manual.

A decade later and I upgraded to a Canon AE1 Program. Better SLR, with better lenses available. This is one camera I haven’t managed to bring myself to sell, as by the time I was ready to it had negligible secondhand value. I gave numerous accessories for it including motor wind.

Another decade and I bought a Canon Eos 100 SLR, which lasted me till I bought my R, on which the same lenses fit. I loved it for its ease oc use, and quietness compared with most SLRs.

Meanwhile, just as Canon came to be myLR brand, Olympus did for pocket cameras, first with the Mju ii in the 1990s:

Then about 15 years ago the Mju 720SW, my first digital camera. This very usable pocket camera was my first underwater-capable camera, introducing me to the world of underwater photography …and to the importance of re-lubricating seals and of backup, leaking and dying on my first snorkel swim on the first day of my first Maldives trip, leaving me with just a few just passable above-water photos from that holiday, taken on a phone.

6 Likes

My first proper camera, the amazing Canon T90 from 1986 and my current camera, a Canon R3 from 2022. Both with 50mm lenses, I thought mirrorless was supposed to lead to smaller cameras!
Really interesting to see how the T90 sparked the entire design language of the EOS system and some controls on the R3 are still in the same place, even down to the memory card door!

3 Likes

Just found this in the loft - my trust old Rollei B35. It was a great camera for mountaineering, being light, and with no battery to clap out in sub-zero temperatures. The meter was pretty basic, but that wasn’t really a problem with the high light levels you usually get in the mountains.

13 Likes

That’s the kind of camera people are collecting. Probably worth more than most of SLR bodies I’ve listed photos of.

Left hand film advance which is unusual.

2 Likes

Actually not… (great little cameras for what they were though). Just saw a Rollie 35SE, the best of the models, for $250 at a local dealer. Tempting.

Film Leica bodies are the ones I wish I’d hung onto, and are going for more now than when originally new.

1 Like

I also have a nice collection of point and shoot non zoom cameras. These are quite sort after, most people where buying zoom cameras at the time, so not as common.
Plus, being fitted with a prime lens, the quality is very good.

The Yashica is interesting; it has a viewfinder on the top of the camera, which is not common. Allows you to take natural/candid photos, as people don’t realise you’re taking a photo. Plus, it has a Zeiss T lens. :grinning:

7 Likes

The Canon Eos 100 always appealed for its simplicity, and use as a travel camera .

Stick on a decent 50 MM prime and you’re away.

Plus you could sometimes get it in white , a missed opportunity

I remember the mju 1. Really nice camera!

1 Like