Show us your flowers 💐

Not a flower but I thought you might like to see it.
This is my whispering Aspen, Populus Tremula, native to Europe and closely related to the American Populus Tremulaides.
It’s about 40 years old now and reaching full maturity. Never still, always trembling in the breeze, hence its name. Not bad for southern England.

4 Likes

I know what you mean about feeding the birds. When I was a member of the RSPB they used to encourage people to feed and water all year round, so I still do.

1 Like

That’s a beautiful specimen you have there. I also like trees as well and I have a silver birch whose leaves also tremble in the breeze producing a serene shimmering appearance (especially when the sun is shining).

2 Likes

That’s beautiful. I love silver birches and have a few at the end of my garden. Here’s a picture with my Scott’s Pine in the foreground.

4 Likes

Siebold’s magnolia

Japanese magnolia (Magnolia kobus)

5 Likes

Can anyone tell me what this flower is? Not the white Delphiniums in the background but the one in the fore. Its self set, I have two others the same.

I love Magnolias but I’ve had no success growing them. It looks good.

My soil is alkaline, IIRC magnolias like acidic soil.

I love magnolias and I’ll be planting one next year as they are spectacular when in bloom. I also like how they are one of the first flowering plants in spring providing a ray of happiness for the year ahead.

Great thread @anon23112058, sorry if I missed it but can you tell us the country and/or region your garden is in please?

According to the PictureThis app it is white campion.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. I live in Norfolk. Warm wishes to you.

1 Like

A photo which shows my Stipa gigantea grass at the left, Verbascum , Geum, Alliums and Foxgloves.

The Stipa, I planted 3 years and its taken 3 years to look this good.
The second photo shows another photo of a Stipa planted at the same time, compare the lengths of the flower spikes, 6 feet/1.85 metres to 1 foot/ 30 cm.

The second one needs more sun , I’ll move it later this year.

2 Likes

Is it, not a weed then? Mind you, if it was a weed, I would have left it in place. I like the look of it.

It’s classified as a weed but weeds can also be beautiful and many have medicinal properties.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m going to see how it goes, if it’s not invasive, I’ll keep it.

Edit: In North America it’s considered to be invasive, however, as I’ve already set aside part of my garden for wildflowers which should come to fruition next year. It would be churlish of me to get rid. I may move it though.

I make no pretence of being a gardener, it’s trial and error.
These two beds were brambles and nettles a year ago, so I am pleased that plants have survived. I know it is overcrowded, it suits dearly beloved.

Older than these, we wait for it to flower each year, for three or four weeks it is alive with bees. Pyracantha - Alexander.

7 Likes

Yes, yes and yes. I’m no gardener either, in fact my wife and I have no love for the work involved. We have what we consider to be a large garden, it’s time consuming and we have to do some work everyday to keep on top.
We find no pleasure in it.

We do love visiting gardens and we love our own, it’s just the work, it’s a drudge.

Rant over.

By the way, yours looks very good.

1 Like

Thank you, I really wasn’t sure that you were in the UK.

The thread has lots of good aspects including gardening, nature, colour, beauty and photography.

1 Like

A bit off topic this, sorry.
I have a couple of bird baths. One year, I scattered a packet of seeds around it and got these flowers growing. I can’t remember what they were but once the flowers were above the bath the small birds stopped visiting it. The Doves and Pigeons did but not the smaller one.

So after one season, I removed the flowers and all was restored.
Mind you, you can tell why the smaller birds were wary.

6 Likes

You’ve done really well and the main bed outside your house looks well established considering it was only planted last year. In addition, it doesn’t look overcrowded to me and I think you’ve utilised the space well.

My Pyracantha is also in bloom:

This is my neighbour’s baby’s breath spirea, it is nearly 2 metres (6 feet) tall:

5 Likes