Show us your guitars!

I’m afraid I don’t do guitars but…

Will this do? :grinning:

4 Likes

Guitar slingers, you’ve got three guesses…

Its a Pointy Blue Guitar… Ibanez…? Or similiar…

You’re not getting away that easily. I need the model number :wink:

Its a Satriani model of Ibanez

Is it a JS-100?

Something by PRS?

Wrong headstock for a PRS. A Schecter? Jackson?

Ibanez JS1000

Well done @IainW !

After a long layoff, initially due to injury then life just getting in the way (you know how it is) I’m now mended and retired so enjoying getting back into playing. Strictly blues now though so have raised the action a bit and might change the humbuckers to something more vintage sounding. Way too good an axe for my abilities but it oozes quality and feels great :blush:

4 Likes

Glad you are enjoying it, that’s the main thing. I do love Ibanez necks but I can’t stand Trems, so tend to avoid them. I would like a Talman with P90’s though, I’m a bit of a P90 obsessive.
If you wanted to change pups to something more vintage, there are loads of options, but any decent PAF clone will serve you well so long as they are potted. Its a rabbit hole almost as deep as streaming cables :joy:

1 Like

Personally… I would not consider swapping out the Pups on this Guitar. If you want a Guitar with Vintage style Pups, then get a Les Paul (*)… YMMV, etc … Interwbzz…

And - as @IainW - replacement Pups are a whole new - and potentially - expensive Rabbit Hole… :rabbit:

( * - Epiphone Les Paul owner… :slightly_smiling_face: )

1 Like

Thanks Iain. Looking around some UK PUP winders ‘The Creamery’ make a ‘57 Vintage PAF which may get me close enough to the sound I’m looking for and available with 4 way wiring so compatible with the existing switching. Not terribly expensive either so it would be a relatively pain free experiment if nothing else. Whatever becomes spare might end up in a couple of DIY guitars for my grandsons :innocent:

Hi Mr Tibbs, I’ve had a couple of sets (not PAF) from the Creamery and they are lovely pickups. You could also look to House of Tone, Oil City Pickups or Mojo.
My recommendation stands as before that what ever you get needs to be potted as some PAF clones are unpotted and therefore more prone to feedback. There are some good online reviews comparing PAF clones if you do a search.
I’m all geared up to put a set of Alumitone Deathbuckers in one of my Eggles (EVH replica) and have a set of Seymour Duncan Psyclones ready to go into a custom Rickenbacker 600. I’d love some PAFs in my PRS semi, but I want a special set from a friend of mine in New Zealand, but I’m waiting for another mate over there to come for a visit home to save me the shipping.

1 Like

Thanks again Iain. I shall do more research before deciding what to go for but the Creamery pickups are up there. Will definitely go for potted ones whatever else I decide. The other variable seems to be the choice of magnet strength as a factor in how they sound. Any words of wisdom here would be much appreciated !

From what you describe wanting a blues sound, I would look at Alnico 2.

1 Like

PAF Humbuckers were Alnico 2 intially, I believe - changing later to Alnico 5…

I guess you won’t be considering the set of Alnico 2 Humbuckers that I bought on eBay for less than £30… But they work well for me… :grinning:

1 Like

Oh good thanks - Alnico 2 does indeed seem to be the magnet of choice for the sort of sound I’m after. The Creamery offers choice of magnets and potted / unpotted, so I’ll be going for Alnico 2 potted. £150 the pair so not exactly cheap but I’m hoping to avoid any downgrade of an otherwise very good spec instrument.

1 Like

Also, check out Iron Gear pickups out of the UK - excellent VFM.

1 Like

Easy, JS-1 Ibanez.
I had that same guitar a looonnng time ago :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Just picked this beauty up in Stockholm. Sinker Redwood soundboard and African Blackwood back and sides…

15 Likes