Show us your guitars!

If I could give that 2 hearts I would - great-looking guitar, and Lowdens are just impeccable.

Richard Thomson plays Lowden guitars - and they have an RT Signature model:

Lowden Richard Thompson Signature Guitar

Thanks @DrMark and it sounds absolutely amazing.

Yes @IanRobertM he has a long list of illustrious customers including lesser known musicians like Ed Sheeran and Eric Clapton. Back in the day, before he was better known, I knocked on the door of George Lowden‘s workshop at the weekend. He took the time to open up and have a chat. Really cool gent

1 Like

Well, “The Boss” still won’t let me buy any more guitars so I’ve just had my Mexican 60s Classic Player Strat upgraded with a Freeway 10 switch. It’s amazing how good it is. The switch is of excellent quality and just feels good as well as giving some great new tones. Highly recommended.

Perhaps I should have upgraded the pickups at the same time … decisions, decisions …

:thinking:

3 Likes

Is that a ‘Super Switch’…? I have a non-branded Super Switch on my H-H Squier Partscaster, which gives me - Neck HB - Neck HB Split- Both HB’s - Bridge HB Split - Bridge HB. Works for me…

(my eBay Super Switch was £9-50… :astonished: )

Well, I just checked the spec. My strat pickups are all single coil. This is what the Freeway website says, for my setup :

Standard Positions: Pickups used

Position 1: Bridge

Position 2: Bridge + Middle

Position 3: Middle

Position 4: Middle + Neck

Position 5: Neck

Position 6: Bridge + Middle in series (so Hum cancelling)

Position 7: All three pickups in parallel

Position 8: Bridge + Neck in Series (Hum cancelling)

Position 9: Bridge + Neck in Parallel (so like a Tele)

Position 10: Middle and Neck in Series (Hum Cancelling)

1 Like

And you did the fitting & soldering of the switch…?

If I want mind boggling combinations of SS Pups, I swap to by other Squier Partscaster, which is wired like a Red Special. Any pup on/off or in/out of phase - all in series. Just 3 toggle switches…

No, I got my local dealer (Guitar Superstore) to do it for me. I’m a bit of a duffer when it comes to soldering.

Having soldered 5 pin DIN plugs, a Super Switch was relatively easy…
I do all my own work on my Guitars.

1 Like

For the Gibson Flying V fans - of just vintage guitar enthusiasts…

Joe Bonamassa takes apart TWO vintage Flying V’s, at Norman’s Rare Guitars. Enjoy…

I’m sure the guitar shops around me hate me. For years, I’ve been visiting them trying out various acoustics and always walk away empty handed because nothing ever quite matches up to my old Yamaha FG340.

The other week, 5 minutes before the guitar shop was about to close for the night, I gave a Martin OM 28 Modern Deluxe a quick strum. Within seconds I realised I’d found something special. Went back to the shop a few days later and after a couple of hours of playing with it I parted with my cash.

I haven’t been able to put the thing down ever since!

14 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Excellent acquisition!

1 Like

Just back from set-up and new nut.

Plays like a dream.

12 Likes

Which neck is on that? What year is it?

From the serial number decoder - 4th Nov 2008 made in Nashville.

Bit like the interview with Bernard Edwards the bass player from Chic when asked what strings he used on his Musicman bass - reply I don’t know what strings did the Musicman bass come with.

In answer to your question I don’t know what neck did the 2008 SG come with :wink:

I ask because the profile and width have changed over the years. My old 1977 definitely had a narrower and “faster” neck than my 2018, which is different than my 2013 that I had repainted as the “Fool” guitar.

1 Like

Why did you have the nut changed? I had a Custom Shop ES335 Larry Carlton model, which came with a graphite nut (Larry’s preference). Unfortunately the technicians in Nashville had cut the string slots so close to the edge that the top E string would just roll off the neck!

P.S. I like the sentiment of the sticker on the scratch plate :rofl:

1 Like