Show us your guitars!

Wow…!!

(the same YT Channel has a few other unusual guitars, too)

1 Like

There’s definitely a product for today in there with all the tech available now.

The 1st Strat, in the UK…!!!

So… what’s inside a Fender Acoustasonic…? Ben from Crimson Guitars show us…

1 Like

Unboxing of THREE pallets of Guitar & gear, from Japan -

I ‘discovered’ a local luthier who has been around in Sevenoaks for years apparently. Anyway, my two main acoustics (D41 and Taylor 414) played nicely enough but I trusted him to work a little magic to get them even better. Amazed by the results, especially on the Martin. Never underestimate the value of a professional set up!

3 Likes

Or just a good set up… :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, but I am crap at this sort of thing🫣

You need to do it more…!! Setting up an Acoustic seems like hard work, though - with the lack of adjustments…?

I might dabble with a truss rod adjustment one day if feeling brave. I doubt it will happen though :joy:

:astonished: That’s… easy… Once you have found the right Allen key size, that is…!!

(If you do try that, only make small adjustments at a time - and leave the guitar to ‘settle’, after adjusting. Measure the action using a Feeler Gauges with a Capo at the 1st fret. Check YouTube - lots of good set up vids there.)

1 Like

Not on an Ovation it’s not.

1 Like

In which case, leave well alone.

Adjustments are easy - relatively - on Fender style Electrics… :expressionless:

The problem I’ve found with my Ovation is that the top seems to have bulged over time (which is the opposite to what I’d normally expect), thereby raising the action. I have removed all the shims under the bridge, which is not recommended, but there’s not much else I can do. I really ought to move it on and go back to Taylors…

1 Like

Acoustic tops should be slightly convex, so nothing to be overly concerned about depending on how much.
There are many things in guitar setup that can be solved by proper trussrod adjustment, but a good luthier will be able to assess to see if things are manageable to get back into shape.

Tops can belly out from excess humidity. (Sinking tops are a sign of too dry an environment.)

And actually, over time, bulging can be one of the “expected” outcomes irrespective of humidity since steel acoustic guitar strings exert something on the order of 150 lbs of pressure on the bridge…which can lift the bridge away from the top (more common) or lift both the bridge and the top as a unit.

It also can lift the neck at the nut, eventually leading to the need to reset the neck when the angle becomes so wonky that the saddle can’t be lowered anymore to maintain decent action.

Place a long straightedge on your frets and run it to the bridge while maintaining contact with the frets - it should hit just at the top edge of the bridge itself, not the saddle).

Like this - this one hits too low:

018bridge15

My 12-string is an Ovation, and I had some problems a while back that required luthier intervention. I keep it tuned down a half-step (a Roger McGuinn suggestion) to lessen the force and capo the 1st fret to play in key with other guitars.

1 Like

I stopped using a humidifier in the Ovation a few years ago, but that hasn’t helped. With all (both?) shims removed it is playable. I use .010” string sets on acoustic, but I could go to .009” with a plain third. However, tuning down is a good idea, although the position markers then need mental adjustment! I have taken to tuning down before putting the instrument in the case. I’m probably being a bit fussy, but it’s because I like to play fast and have never found an acoustic with truly fast action. Over the years I’ve owned one Martin, five Taylors and this Ovation. I guess the Ovation is the fastest, but not as I would really like. One option would be to have the bridge shaved, something I had done on the Martin D-18. I’ll post a picture later.

2 Likes

Here are a few pics of my Ovation.

This shows the bridge saddle with both shims removed. You can see that it’s now quite deep set. If I wanted to go further it would require a shave.

Here’s the sixth string action at 12th fret (~2mm).

This shows the action at the first string, 12th fret. This is ~1.5mm.

Sorry about the angles etc. It was rather difficult holding the rule and phone and pressing the shutter button all at the same time!

2 Likes

I suspect most of us would have the same problem if we tried major surgery. That is not having a suitable jig and tools. I am sure you can get them but whether the investment warrants an amateur trying their hand on a precious instrument is something worth considering. I am not that brave.