Show us your guitars!

You need something like this…

Lots available, say on eBay. All work much better than a Ruler… :astonished:

1 Like

Neither am I!

Most Guitar tools can be found on eBay - for not much money… :thinking:

The Allen keys I use for Truss Rods came ‘free’ with Ikea items. But I had to buy the Gibson style socket version.

The most useful - for me - is the String Height Gauge and the Allen Key to fit a Metric Fender style bridge. Plus a decent Phillip head screwdriver, for most other things. A Fret Levelling Beam is also quite useful - as are Fret Erasers.

One of the most (nay, the most) important things you can have for working on your own guitar is a solid understanding of what you can do and what you can’t.

As I have shared before, my brother had a friend that ran a guitar repair area in a music store - the sign over the drop-off window said, “Some of Our Best Customers Do Their Own Work.”

2 Likes

My level of competence (and confidence) starts and stops at restringing.
I spent an entire term in woodworking making a cutting board. It was sort of flat.

1 Like

That applies to everything - not just Guitars. Knowing what you cannot do, is a big plus.

My Guitar set-up skills apply to Fender style Electric guitars, mainly. I only own one Gibson style guitar - an Epiphone Les Paul. I wouldn’t touch an Acoustic… :astonished:

Ben has almost finished the 42,000 year old guitar…

I enjoy many of the Crimson Guitars videos. Lots of good tips, and I have even purchased some toolage from them.

1 Like

Interesting making an electric guitar with an acoustic guitar bridge…

1 Like

Its based on a Fender Acoustasonic… :thinking:

I saw that, but with the body design, it seems more electric than acoustic, although the pickups and electronics will significantly affect that.

Its a hollow body, I believe.

1 Like

Should we just give up…??

4 Likes

Where broken guitars go, to get better.
20,000 guitars per year - get restored to health…!!

That would be a cool place to work…if I had the necessary skills. Would beat the hell out of my current sweat shop employment.

1 Like

My own Guitar building is really based on recycling - buying Bodies and Necks, that others do not want (for whatever reason) and making a useful Guitar out of them.

So far, I have built -

• a Squier Strat, with 2 Humbuckers
  • a Squier Strat, with 3 Single Coils, wired as a Brian May Red Special
  • a Squier Jazz Bass
  • a Squier Tele-Strat, with standard Tele Single Coils, but with the Tele body chamfered and scooped similar to a Strat

6 Likes

Good old Poang!

1 Like

I am glad you got the 335 back, I approve highly of it (I have one myself which I bought from Manny’s in New York in 1985). I also have a couple of strats and a Les Paul 1960 Reissue. A Les Paul Reissue with P90s was actually next on my list but an almost new cherry ES 335 1964 Reissue came up for sale recently and I am very tempted…

I am working on a potential trade for a Gibson CS-336 - which is like a 335 with a smaller body. We will have to see how it works out. Then I can sell my 335.

Proceed with caution! I made this mistake once, selling my ‘62, and have regretted it ever since.

1 Like