Show us your headphones

Very nice, I wish I could get away with IEMs. Odd shape ear canal makes it real hard to get a good fit resulting in weak bass in one ear! Very annoying :disappointed:

I imagine you have tried memory foam ear adapters. If not, go for them!

Sorry for this very crude picture.

5 Likes

Yeah… I may try again at some point as it would be nice to have a really compact option!

Agree, I’ll be keeping these. One of the things that impressed me most was listening to game of thrones on tv via a cheapo Bluetooth sender receiver thingy. There’s a bit right at the end of the theme tune that you don’t hear even on my avr. They are ace :+1:

I use Shure IEMs and yes, finding the right tips that give a proper seal is essential. The only ones that work for me are the soft silicone tips Shure provide. I tried various other rubber or foam tips and nothing else worked.

3 Likes

Cannot recommend too highly the option of custom moulded IEMs. I seem to have very narrow or awkwardly shaped ear canals. Grado’s GR series were OK, seemed to have a smaller tip, so a good seal but never that comfy. All other brands compromised, and I have tried plenty with all sorts of ear tip shapes and materials. A custom mould has allowed me to get fantastic fit and therefore quality and comfort. Totally changed my IEM usage. Happy to share more, or read this thread.

2 Likes

I use the comply tips on my IEM’s c£20 from Amazon for a set of 3. They are the only ones that work for my ears.

Gary

Thanks… I think this is the way I’d have to go if I decide to buy another set of IEMs. I tried Comply and host of others. Right ear no problem, left was either poor fit/seal or very uncomfortable!

So far with the ZMF Atrium, although not noise free (leakage), the sound escaping is greatly reduced compared to the Elites and is the most open closed back I’ve tried. With the Aegis tube amp the soundstage is big with solid bass and air.

They take a while to run in 150+hrs (38hrs so far) but by 50 and 100 they’re supposed to improve a lot. Something to do with the biocellulose diaphragm which is stiff and needs plenty of running in to be at its best. Which is great, because they sound excellent now!

2 Likes

I have the ZMF Verite closed. They did improve with run-in although I would say not a massive change. Always hard to tell as it is so gradual of course. Probably a bit of extra definition and an opening out of the sound. Mine are olive wood, subtly beautiful. I would agree that they sound very ‘open’ for a closed-back design.

Bruce

1 Like

Verite, another ZMF classic. I think their driver is Beryllium, lighter which gives the headphones its pace. Very nice. I think they’re also a little more forgiving in burn in because of the lighter weight material. There has been some lovely resin, stabilised versions released this ZMF November! Great craftsmanship!

I think Zach mentioned that the Atrium takes quite a bit of running in because of the stiffer biocellulose driver, which I don’t mind. I’ve just set them up on a solid state amp and running them 24/7 so will be sorted soon enough!

Is the seme driver inside the Verite as that one which is in HD820?

I cannot see any reference to Beryllium etc on the Sennheiser website and the driver descriptions sound very different. ZMF also say that the driver is unique to their Verite model I don’t think they are the same.

I have heard both and they sound very different too

Bruce

1 Like

I tried Comply too, and for me they were useless. I also had a pair of custom tips made and they were a disaster. Not sure what went wrong, but they were unusable and I returned them for a refund. I considered trying again with a different supplier but I get a perfect seal with silicone rubber tips so I just stick to using them.

1 Like

Thanks, I have listened ZMF Verite a couple of times and must admit they sound really nice :+1:.

Sennheiser Momentum 4.
An upgrade from my old B&W PX originals.
At the “Premium” price level, absolutely stunning SQ with ANC. I don’t feel at all like I’m listening to something that could not be described as Hifi. Even compared with audiophile cabling and a Red Dragonfly DAC on the old PX’s, they’re on another planet.
The aesthetic build is plain with just a subtle decoration of material on the headband and a couple of minimal Sennheiser logos to announce their provenance. Unlike, IMHO, other 'phones which make a big effort shout “ooh look at me everybody” to the world around, as if the owner wants to play one-upmanship in some kind of “Battle of the Headphones” competition.
I think the technology has now reached the stage where in all but the most sophisticated and expensive models, cabling is now obsolete.
Happy days.

7 Likes

I just got these Sennheiser HD 600s a few weeks ago. I have owned and tried many headphones, but these are my all time favorite! I now understand what all the fuss is about.
I am powering them with the socket on my SN2.

13 Likes

I’ll stick with cabled.

Have to anyway as my stereo (vinyl/CD) doesnt have bt/wifi or what ever hijinks are needed.

I do have a pair of cable-less earbuds for the phone. They’re pretty much unused: decided I prefer reading on my commute.

Dinosaur, moi…:grin:

1 Like

My mate just gave me his pair from circa 2000. He had not really used them at all. The headband foam was shot of course, but got a new one for £3. They needed running in ! 48 hours later they are sounding ok, and similar to the pair i had in 1999 ( then sold in 2010).

They need a decent amp to drive them. And i have changed the cable for a balanced feed. But they are starting to sound good. Bit light in the bass, but that is the HD600s sound.

2 Likes

These are my Grado Hemp Headphones, made in Brooklyn, NYC, from Hemp and Maple wood. They work perfectly from the headphone socket of the Nait 50.

11 Likes

All you need is a mobile phone and a streaming service. :wink: