Show us your headphones

Maybe it was a bit more than a year, certainly for the Hifiman and Shure. It was about a year before I really got going.

Yes it was costly but most (especially the higher cost stuff) was bought used so should retain its value. Does it give me as much enjoyment as my stereo (Xerxes 20+, Aro, Shiraz, Trology 907, Teddy Pardo active into SL2s? Overall yes although in a different way, so in fact the headphone system is better value!

AudioQuest, NightOwl Carbon. Don’t use them much, but they do sound pretty darn good.( sorry about the dusty desk)

2 Likes

So having just posted about my B&W PX headphones, they stopped working shortly afterwards!

Anyway, my very kind HiFi dealer in Canterbury dropped off a pair of B&W PX7 (extra low price as they were in the window). These are the silver ones - also available in ‘space grey’.

So far, they sound very good (certainly good enough for dog walking!), and somewhat improved SQ over my old PXs. They also seem to pack more tech than their predecessor.

I also treated myself to an iPhone lightning to USB camera connection cable, which has enabled me (using the Onkyo HF Player iOS app) to use my iPhone as a transport to play High Res FLAC and WAV files using the Chord Mojo as a DAC into my Sennheiser HD800S headphones. Here’s some photos showing a 24bit 192KHz file being played - the blue colour on the Mojo On/Off switch shows that this is indeed a 192KHz file playing. I’ve only just received this cable, so have yet to test it out - is it a ‘mullet’? Time will tell!

George.

8 Likes

Looking forward to how you get on with iPhone/Mojo/HD800’s

Partly inspired by this thread and a random chat with my ever helpful dealer, I have just grabbed the Heed Canalot and Q PSU to run my HD800’s off. I was previously running of the headphone stage of my SN2. I am now running direct from the analogue output of the NDX2 using variable volume control and it works a treat. All though I found the SN2 headphone stage really good, this is on another level to be honest. Happy days.

11 Likes

After going through several high-end models, in the end, for the use I give it, this is my team:

4 Likes

New Quad ERA-1 headphones being run in with a little Miles Davis

17 Likes

Looks good, but what is the team?

1 Like

Don’t often see the V-can amp. I used to Sue one of those but found the volume knob very annoying. The volume goes very high for a modest turn, I couldn’t even get it past 8oclock!

AKG K-501 with Cardas cable and Furutech connector, Fidelity V-Can Musical amplifier and DAP Ibasso DX80 with Audience Conductor Mini cable. That is my team!

1 Like

Just arrived yesterday Grado GS3000e.

They are ex dem so hard to know how much more performance they will reveal with running in but so far so beautiful. They have a delicious clarity and I find that with the comfort as well they just disappear and surround your head with fabulous music. I am sure the amp helps but back to back with my Quad Era 1 shows how good they are. Not that the Quad cans are that shabby

I heard some GS1000 a few years ago and liked them. These are way better. I quite like the aesthetic too.

17 Likes

Nice, i was almost tempted to buy the 933, great amp

From your reply in another thread I did not realise you had auditioned it. I thought it did not have the right number/type of inputs/outputs to be on your list?

It is simple, no controls at all on the unit! My kind of HFi. Plug in, use, enjoy.

Bruce

My absolutely gorgeous Sony set. I haven’t had any regrets…

5 Likes

Hi All, my current tiny collection: he4xx, mdr1a. Love both. Hifiman are a new pair to me, they replaced sennheisers hd 712 and sound more exciting to me. Sony ones are normally at the office but now it’s only home office so they are here with me. Cables are from local maestro. He4xx is OCC, Sony some copper but still better than stock.

3 Likes

A bit of advice needed. I’ve had Etymotics for years: ER6i, ER4PT and currently ER4XR.
I love the sound and actually don’t mind the fit at all. The problem I have is that I have had to send them back to the US about once a year on average for repair. Since they sold out to Lucid, their customer service is virtually non-existent. They have had my less-than-a-year-old set for repair since early February and despite several polite and considerate chasers (bearing in mind they will have been struggling with lockdown), I had absolutely no communication. However, all of a sudden a new boxed pair arrived yesterday.

The problem I have is they seem to break too easily and it is such a hassle to keep sending them back to the US. Moreover, I no longer want to support a company that holds their customers in such low regard.

Therefore, I am considering selling the newly arrived pair on fleabay and buying the Shure SE535s. I would welcome some insights on those or any other recommendations. I doan’ t really want to spend more that £350.

Oh, and here are my headphones:

Any love here for Hifiman HE6SE’s or even their HE1000SE’s. I’m kicking around some new can ideas, albeit expensive ones…

I have the 425’s which are ok, could do with more bass which you get from the extra driver in the 525. They are pricy though and can get better for less. I really like my Meze Rai Solos for the price they are beautifully made and to me sound better than the 425’s. Campfire Audio IO get good reviews with the Polaris 2 being way better but that’s above your price range. Also iBasso ito4 are supposed to be very good but again a bit higher than you want.

1 Like

My brother and I had similar looking pairs of those Etymotics when they first appeared but we both had issues with them breaking!

From memory they sounded good though, and were incredibly light.

I really like my Grado Gr8e, about £270. They are very small and light and I find them comfortable for an earphone. Sound is fine, great detail and very clean. Not tons of bass. The top of the range Gr10e looks identical and can be had for not a lot more.

Bruce

1 Like