Show us your headphones

They are great headphones in my opinion, love them.

Not me with mine, I have changed earpads for Brainwaves and they are a bit more comfy and opended them up some more. They do give a lot of bass but not too much. I guess it depends on your music tastes, for me they suited the kind of music I listened to may be for other sorts they might not.

Activated my vintage Stax SRX-SRD-7 Headphones recently and purchased a Meridian 251 Powered Zone controller to drive the Energizer. Bought them in circa 1978 and the ear pieces are falling apart, so ordered replacements for them.

4 Likes

Whats the headamp? I see the Amazon favourite headphone stand in good use, I have two of those.

I’ll look into those pads, thanks for the advice.

The Mezes do take a while to settle down as well ive had mine for a while now, they did have more bass initially but it melloed out. To me the sound is pure musical fun and they have a good soundstage.

2 Likes

I see there’s quite a few variations. Could you tell me which foam, material, shape etc. you have?

Thanks.

Also forgot, I have a pair of Grado SE60’s at work, which is off limits currently.

I had them on a gift list on Amazon and the package does not have a modl number I think they are these ones

brainwavzaudio prostock-designed-for-ath-m-series-headphones/products/prostock-sheepskin-athm50x-earpads

Actually looked at my purchased gift list and it’s these ones
Brainwavz Sheepskin Leather Memory Foam Earpad

1 Like

Yes, Amazon to the rescue–Headphones are not a main thrust for me, so this is a use as is project for the most part. I looked for a nice cheap headphone amp, and there are many. The catch is that these were designed back in the day when there were no headphone amps for the most part, and they were intendeded to be paralleled with one’s power amp. So they take a lot of drive. Several well known manufacturers backed away from their units being able to drive these electrostatics. So I stumbled across the Meridian 251 Power amp unit. Its 100 watts into 4 ohms. It also connects via a network connection to my main system and has an iPhone app for source selection and sensitivity. So it connects to Meridian Ultra Dac and slaves music from it.

1 Like

I’m using them more and more, so much I now have 3 stations and my Hiby DAP now, all using different phones and DACs and all are controlled by Roon.

1 Like

Yes, I have the Silver, really happy, so comfy and mellow sound. Looking forward to them settling in .

Yep, the give me a very warm feeling when listening and can do that for hours without fatigue. Very much a fan of the Meze sound, which carries through to their iems as well. Enjoy them they only get better.

Can you tell us about about the 281? I’m about to pull the trigger on one, the 30 day trial is tempting. Any review describes the sound as warm and not too analytical, which I’m fine with. I’m assuming it will drive pretty any cans that are out there?

I got myself some Nordost Blue Heaven cables, great quality, not that expensive and doing the job. Can’t comment any more really as its the first xlr cable i have owned and never used balanced out before.
Was going to make my own cables up.
Using XLR’s balanced out from rossini to headphone amp and the RCA’s out to my 552 pre amp and all working fine

Early days yet obviously, but i can tell you its very powerful and easily drives the hd800s.
Build quality is great and i think it look great.
I went with the V281 because i read many great reviews about how well it paired with my headphones and i agree it does, it adds a bit off warmth and depth to the hd800s without removing any off its great detail and ridiculously massive sound stage.
Its a massive improvement over my headline 2 and power supply, which was holding the hd800s back, i just didn’t realise how much

1 Like

Great. Thanks for the prompt reply. I have been eyeing up one for a little while. I’m a big fan over over sized power supplies in hifi gear. I knew this was powerfull, and looked the business.
Right, I’m off to order one!

Nice one, what headphones are you be using?
I was going to also get a new one and have the bonus off the 30 day return, if it didnt work out, but then this one came up for sale and the difference in price was just too tempting not to give it ago.

Here is my portable listening.

Obravo ERIB-1a, AQ Dragonfly Cobalt

2 Likes