Show us your headphones

Cable finish and colours.

I’m using a 2.5m cable on my HD6XX’s and I’ve got to say I’m very impressed, too - less than £100 and the quality and sound are both great. Coincidentally, I spoke with them yesterday about sending my old HD600’s in for repair and upgrading.

2 Likes

CCs on my Focal Clears. 3m I think into a balanced connection for my Violectric v281.

3 Likes

Didn’t realise that they offer that service. I’d imagine they would do a great job too.

Wow!
I bet that rig sounds amazing :+1:

1 Like

How do you find the Celestee driven by the Headline?

Very nice!

Yep, they’ve got a few mods including mass loading using a copper ring for HD600, 6XX and 650’s. They also do some amazing designs on the headphones themselves. Check out their Facebook page.

1 Like

@MrDom
It’s quite nice.
What I really notice about the Headline is that it does a good job at representing the source that is fed into it.

I did some comparisons:
1) nDAC :arrow_right: Headline :arrow_right: Celestee
2) nDAC :arrow_right: Supernait :arrow_right: Headline :arrow_right: Celestee
3) A&K Kann :arrow_right: Supernait :arrow_right: Headline :arrow_right: Celestee
4) A&K Kann :arrow_right: Celestee
5) A&K Kann :arrow_right: Headline :arrow_right: Celestee

What stood out to me most was that the Supernait does a really good job with the signal from the nDAC and had the best overall balance of sound of the 5 combinations.

Going from the nDAC directly into the Headline didn’t quite have the authority as with the Supernait.
The Kann directly into the Celestee also had a good balance of sound, but less authoritative than all of the Headline combinations.

I plan on upgrading to the Focal Stellia at some point this year. I’m looking forward to trying those in this setup.
I don’t have any plans to buy anything open-back, but I’d love to try some out in this setup as well and compare the performance.

I’m also getting a power supply upgrade for my nDAC late next week, so I look forward to trying to same comparisons with that added into my system!

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed write-up.
It looks like you have gone through a thorough process and also I am intrigued regarding the results from the Supernait.
The upgrades that you are looking to make sound great. I would imagine you will see the benefit once settled in.
Please write up once everything is running as it would be good to know what your thoughts are.
Good luck.

I use my A+K Kann Alpha into my ZMFs quite often and am always pleasantly surprised by how decent it is with a high-end headphone.

Bruce

4 Likes

New Grado SR325x… replacing my Meze 99 Classics, which just did not fit my head right (despite all the reviews saying they are extremely comfortable). The Grados do fit (despite reports of discomfort)… and as a bonus, I prefer the sound.

14 Likes

After switching to an Atom HE, which I primarily use as a preamp, I got more interested after connecting my AKG K702 to it. :slight_smile: After that I bought a Philips X2HR (open back) and yesterday I ordered a Sivga SV021 in Rosewood that will arrive tomorrow. I’d love to buy one of the high-end Focal’s, but need to save up a bit for that and listen to them first. I will post some pictures soon and also share some of my impressions as a ‘head-fi rookie’.

BR,
Richard

2 Likes

I have just become aware that all the drivers for Meze headphones are manufactured by a Ukrainian company in Lviv

3 Likes

:frowning_face:

New Dan Clark Audio Aeon Noire driven by Chord Poly/Mojo

14 Likes

I have the Aeon open back. Really enjoy them. I may get the closed backs as a companion. Currently using them with an Astell& Kern KANN.

3 Likes

good to know

1 Like

Been playing with these this week, picked up at a good s/h price.

Now I know Grado don’t do it for everyone, from the cheap cardboard box to the fixed proprietary cable but I have a bit of a ‘thing’ for them having previously owned GS3000e and still having their GR10e IEMs.

What they do well, they do brilliantly, and such an easy drive from my DAP. Full of life, PRaT and a very fresh engaging tonal balance. Great vocal presentation, and these have a much better bass than the GS3000e.

Not going to usurp my ZMF Verite pair as ‘best’ but they definitely make a nice contrast. Might consider getting them modded by Custom cans to taking a removable cable and try some alternates. Anyone tried this with these or similar?

12 Likes

Richard, are you a bit of a Grado fan too?

I use a pair of GS1000e with my HiLine and enjoy them at night at time when my wife is already gone off to bed. I love/prefer the fit around the ears vs on the ears.

The PS is the next level up but only see the PS 500 and PS 2000 now available on the Grado web site.