Show us your headphones

New Headphone amp for use with my Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 Noire
(replacing a Burson Soloist SL MkI)

A Bakoon HPA-21 battery powered amp with a current output.
Reported to work well with low impedance Planar headphone designs, such as the DCA Aeon2 models with 13ohm and 92dB

And the Current output does sound better than the Voltage one with the Dan Clark’s.

Need to try the Current input from the Bakoon EQA-11R phono stage.
Presently using the PreAmp fixed level outputs (Tape Out) on the Sim Audio Moon I5 with volume at zero.
Digital source is still the same Roon based NDS with 555DR on Socket 1 for the Digital side, and a custom supply on Socket 2 for the Analogue stage.

Between the 2nd power supply for the NDS, a pair of Harmonic Tech Reference Silver mains cables with Synergistic Purple fuses for Amp and NDS Analogue Power supply, some further Room treatment and now the Bakoon HPA-21, it has been 6 months of considerable step-ups for my system.

Oh yes, and a custom cable for the Dan Clark’s. The 3m VIVO cable I bought for them, just wasn’t long enough (strange how the 3m cable for the B&W P5 headphone was), but it wasn’t touching the floor and spanned between the Headphone Amp and the headphones, dragging on them and making the cable microphonic. I tried to return and exchange for a longer one, but Dan Clark only take returns on headphones and not £400 (once you include shipping and Import tax & VAT) cables.

So I got Sky Audio to make an 8 core Silver dual mono cable in a 5m length to make sure! I supplied a Cardas 1/4 TRS plug.
Cable construction is excellent, reasonable price given the bespoke order.

So the sound, well on the HPA-21 on the Current output, very quiet, with very black background. Sweeter in the treble, some of slam & punch of the Burson gone, but replaced by a refined musicality in its presentation. Soundstage has much more extra detailed, with an additional sense of airiness to the picture.

Well worthy of the past reviews, able to be found on this amp.

The Silver cable, once burnt in, opened up and there was an additional sweetness over the VIVO cable. The supplier Dummer cable never came out of the box, as not a pair of headphones I would travel with, despite the beautiful folding mechanism.

Last night’s 3-hour listening session didn’t drain the battery, so must try harder.

Update

I have now connected up the Bakoon EQA-11R current output to the HPA-21 current input, the “Satri-Link connection” using a pair of BNC/RCA with a BNC adaptors (trying to find out what the original BNC/BNC cables were & whether still available), and WOW the presentation over this connection, makes the RCA connection through the Sim Audio Moon Pre-Amp sound splashy and ill-defined, more detail with even less noise.
So the Satari-Link connection is Current amplification from the cartridge to the headphones, worth the time to make this additional connection.

10 Likes

Speaking of genuine wood…

My Audeze beauties.

12 Likes

My humble setup :). The Susvara are by far the best I’ve ever heard, the detail is something else!

12 Likes

I too use PM3s to listen via my phone and through a chord mojo because they isolate quite well and do not disturb anyone else.

My PM2s are used with my SN3 which are a bit more refined and sound lovely but you do need to be in a quiet place as they let a lot of noise in and also leak like a sieve!

What a shame they are not made any more.

12 Likes

11 Likes

Don’t recognise those phones…what are they?

Sennheisers. Can’t remember the model.
They sure look good in B&W.

1 Like

They are some good looking cans!

Would you recommend the LCD-3s?

I’m currently deciding between the LCD-2 or 3.

Thanks

James

They are Sennheiser’s HD700. Had the 650 before them.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard the 2, but I love my 3’s.
Someone I knew who was a Stax owner also really liked them, which was surprising to me as they’d evangelised Stax to me for years.

1 Like

I added some new actual leather better quality pads to my PM3s from Amazon after a YouTube recommendation. They sound (detail and bass) improved a lot, isolation greater, and even more comfortable. Quite a surprise.

So the latest iteration of the 600 series….

I think 700s were - discontinued - closer to the 800s without the piece tag. I used to love the 650s though but unfortunately one of the speakers failed and could not be replaced. The 700s are more detailed, better soundstage and tighter bass. Different class altogether.

1 Like

21 Likes

For context I am 99% headphones , no amps (except the headphone amp), no speakers.

Just took delivery of HiFiMan Arya Stealth to complement my 10 year old Sennheiser HD800 both powered by my Uniti Atom HE

The Arya are still on the 6.3 cable provided, the Sennheiser on a 4 pin XLR through the back port .

Still early days for the Arya since they suggest 150 hr burn in , but first reactions are very promising the bass is much more pronounced than the HD800. I can see a split Arya for Rock , HD800 for classical but lets not jump to conclusions.

There are hours of prevarication , and enjoyment , to come yet …

In the wings are Bose QC15 , Bose QC25 , Sony WH1000 MX4 and Sony WF1000 MX4 (IEM) (bought because I had to wear a neck collar for 8 weeks and other headphones wouldn’t fit). They are remarkably good , I was surprised.

The Sony’s get used on BT for travel, holidays and power cuts ( !! ) , the QC25 via an Audioquest Dragonfly Red normally in the study.

All fed from Roon on a NUC/ROCK on ethernet.

5 Likes

The HD700 has sadly gone , I auditioned the HD700 vs HD800 10 years back when I retired . My wife decided I needed a new pair of headphones. :smiling_imp:

They were different the 800 won really on detail resolution and I eventually chose the HD800 with absolutely no regrets , as above I have just added a HiFiMan Arya Stealth to the mix

3 Likes

It’s interesting to read what you say about headphones listening.
About 3 months ago, I went through a thought process of getting rid of my SN3 amplifier along with the HiCap DR and just listening on my headphones.

I have an Atom HE and an Icon Audio headphone amplifier with Focal Clear MG and Celestee headphones. The Icon amp. is attached to the SN3.

My loudspeakers are 20 years old B and W probably passed their best. I realise, that it’ll take me a few years to save up for a decent pair and at the age of 69, I don’t think I want to.

The speakers do intrude into a smallish living room, 1.3 metres from the front wall, getting rid would please- I think - my wife.

I decided to see what the preowned prices for the SN3 and HiCap were on eBay and gave the idea up.

1 Like

Sunday mood with some maintenance while listening to hipster playlist by DJ co.kr . So damn chill with my only can.

15 Likes

Yeah… ex 2 channel system user here as well.

I’m now 100% headphones. The sound quality that can be achieved with headphones is incredible. I love soundstage, imaging and musicality… technicals are important but are nothing if you’re not tapping your feet… or waving your arms :crazy_face:

3 Likes