Show us your headphones

HD 700 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi @MaxiMe, I specifically bought the AQ Cobalt at the onset of lockdown knowing that I was going to be at home for a while (!) and that opportunities to blast anything on our main system were going to be limited being as my wife and I were always going to be around together.

Considering what it is, I think it’s a pretty good DAC for the money, very versatile for use when listening on my phone, PC or work laptop.
Obviously a stand alone desktop DAC would be better quality , but I was after something that was good as well as very portable.
I don’t have experience of other standalone DAC’s as a comparison, but I would say I’m very happy with it, seems to do a pretty good job!

1 Like

re the meze 99 cassics do have ample bass but its not boomy and doesn’t impede the midrange at all and the treble isn’t bright.
very comfortable more so than the grados as they sit around my ears and not on them could as i have worn them for hours

2 Likes

I’m an infrequent headphone user so these are fine for me.

12 Likes

Those Amirons look a lot like what I’m after. How is the clamping pressure and ear coverage? I’d have to decide open or closed as well…

Hi Charlesphoto,
The Amirons are easy to wear. The clamping pressure is light. The ear pods are quite large, so easily fit over my ears. One of the many reasons I brought them was for the good base response even though they were open back. Another advantage of the open back is the sound stage extension beyond the ear pods.
A review that I think is very accurate is here at techhive.
WhatHiFi Recommended them in 2019.
I brought them based upon their great balance of sound, comfort, and cost. Mike

2 Likes

Did someone mention my “naim” ?
Hello James
I have been looking in on this thread however a bit lazy so I have not posted any photos.
I still believe the Utopia remains an end game headphone some 3 years after it was released. I find it significantly better than the Z1R. My friend Chris Bell who posted earlier in this thread is happy:smirk:

IMHO the only headphone which surpasses it is my Stax 009S with 3rd party amplifier.
Hopefully a few photos will come.

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

Cheers Gregg - appreciate your thoughts. I’ve got a bit of thinking to do…

Hope the Bartok is keeping you amused :sunglasses:

James

Does anyone have experience of a Heed headphone amp?

Some great looking cans on here. I’m really interested as this and a headphone amp are high on my list for next purchases.
So, what amps are people useing to drive these cans?

Or put it another way, any strong recommendations?

See my post above…

Well my violectic V281 turned up today from Italy, must say even though it’s early days, i am very happy with it over my headline that i was using with my sennheiser hd800s.
Much more weight, much better detail and just sounds massive, so much so i cant believe they are the same headphones and proves what i was thinking, that they were being held back massively.
The amp goes very well with the hd800s and they are certainly showing what they can do at last

1 Like

Is that a landline? Very retro :wink:

My computer desk setup, HE-4XX with Fiio K5 Pro.

6 Likes

Warming up nicely and loving the nice full sound this gives, running balanced direct from rossini, the detail, depth and huge sound stage the hd800s now have is just unreal, maybe the speaker side will take a back seat more?, well only just maybe.

19 Likes

Very nice :sunglasses:

Wow… that is a hunk compared to a Headline 2!

If it’s OK to ask, how much are they?

Multiple outputs?

O yes its a beast, very powerful as it has 4 amps inside it, taking about inside you should see it

Very nice Dunc
One thing I cannot take away from the Violectric - it always looks the part.
The 281 actually looks considerably nicer than the more upscale Nimbus made by the same company.
Which XLR cable are you using to connect to the Rossini?

Best
Gregg

I have currently this lot
Meze 99 Classics (love them to bits)

Meze Rai Solo (also love them to bits, had them a few weeks great IEM)

Shure SE425 my first IEM’s (no with added BT adaptor for almost wireless)

AKG K550 Mk iii (used in Bedroom)

I use all above either with Rasp PI and USB DACs including AQ Cobalt, Red , Ifi iDSD Nano BL and more recently Hiby R5 (which is awesome DAP for the money). My Naim is too far away from where I sit to use Headphones.

7 Likes